Accident in West Dover - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Vermont This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 F7 efi 99 ZRT 600
Previous Sled(s): 94 cougar 440
Favorite Riding Area: were the snow is deep
10-11 Mileage: 725
Riding Since: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawiultra99 View Post
Thoughts and prayers here....makes you stop and think.
ure right it does make me stop an think also. i just think of how long this situation lasts until she gets medical help. think about it ure in the middle of the woods with most of the time NO cell service so that means i guess you have to ride to the closest house (witch can be for miles) tell the person to call 911 an then they have to get the rescue sled. in my books its alll precious time!!
team arctic 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #22 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 800rr
Previous Sled(s): 08xp800,05 800revx-09nytro-03f7 2010 snopro500-720
Favorite Riding Area: vermont/tughill
Riding Since: 1988
Default accident in west dover

heard about accident hope she is ok ,Friend has a house right buy there ,we figured we could help out we went and draged sled out it is at his house, If any one can contact the owner of sled , PM me his number ,and he can pick it up or we can drop it off for him ,we will be back up this friday ,thank you Joe
Old 02-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 98,04,05 2013 polaris XC/ Indy
Favorite Riding Area: From my driveway
13-14 Mileage: 2428
12-13 Mileage: 1250?
11-12 Mileage: 2500?
10-11 Mileage: 3700?
Riding Since: 1974

I know someone from around here who broke her back on a snowmobile accident, very bad scene, but has recovered well, but is now afraid to go riding again,..Im not going to mention any names, but if that person want to chime in,..that would be fine.. Again,..send her all our best wishes and that we are all pulling for her!!
serbiesnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #24 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): 2006 SkiDoo GSX 600HOSDI
Favorite Riding Area: Stump Jumpers, Snowbusters
12-13 Mileage: 300+
10-11 Mileage: 1,100

I was actually the 1st group on the scene after it happened and was the one who dialed West Dover Police (FYI... Verizon has good service in there). Her son, who was on the back and is fine said that she got nervous making that corner and instead of hitting the brake, she unfortunately hit the gas and went off. The sled got wedged between two trees and when she hit, her helmet hit one of the trees. It was a full face helmet and the impact cracked the mouth guard on it - it did its job and makes you appreciate what a helmet can do.

It took a good 45 minutes to an hour after I hung up with the Police for resuce to get there. Her husband, Bill, was able to get her helmet off and the bleeding stopped, but her face had a lot of damage - broken jaw, chin, huge cut from the nose down to the side of the mouth. Both Deerfield Valley Rescue and Wardsboro came to the scene - they collared her and put her on a backboard. We carried her up and put her in the rescue sled to be taken down toward the Matterhorn - they then life flighted her to Dartmouth. We offered to drive the kids back to Chimney Hill but some of their friends who were riding with them were taking them back on sleds.

If anyone here knows her personally, please let her and Bill know that Brian, Ed, Lorraine and Karl are all wishing her the best and we're thinking of her.
CapeCod Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 XRS 800,2012 MXZX 800, 2007 MXZ 600SDI,
Previous Sled(s): 2012 MXZX 800
Favorite Riding Area: NEK
13-14 Mileage: 2092
12-13 Mileage: 1220
11-12 Mileage: 650
10-11 Mileage: 1900
Riding Since: 15

Very sad to hear but hopefully she has a full recovery! These stories always give me the chills becareful out there and ride to right always.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 Polaris switchback 600,04 xc & 2up
Previous Sled(s): Ski Doo 12/3 & silver bullet
13-14 Mileage: 1353
12-13 Mileage: 815
11-12 Mileage: 752
10-11 Mileage: 897
Riding Since: 1971

My best to her and her family. Full recovery is my hope for her.
1/4miledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Polaris "White Rush"/blue !Q
Previous Sled(s): 21 polaris sleds
13-14 Mileage: 4031
12-13 Mileage: 4026
11-12 Mileage: 3312
10-11 Mileage: 3922
Riding Since: 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by serbiesnow View Post
I know someone from around here who broke her back on a snowmobile accident, very bad scene, but has recovered well, but is now afraid to go riding again,..Im not going to mention any names, but if that person want to chime in,..that would be fine.. Again,..send her all our best wishes and that we are all pulling for her!!
Your right Serbie, she really did not want to ride again it was a bad accident but the Sheffield rescue squad was great and as someone already said 45 minutes seems an eternity when someone you love is lying there helpless, I know the feeling and my wife's and my thoughts and prayers go out to the accident victim and her family , lets pray for a speedy and complete recovery!!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #28 (permalink)

I was at the accident and felt helpless as a few people spoke to the police and 911. My family and I each said a prayer for the girl that hit the tree but everything was moving in slow motion.

As much as you are always told not to move someone after an accident precious time was wasting away as everyone waited for the rescue team to show up. When there is an accident out in the woods like yesterday I wish there was the ability to get the person out of the woods rather than waiting and wasting time BUT I know there isn't.

I think VAST or DVSJ should consider putting up a stop sign to slow people down at the corner that the accident occurred. If speed into the corner was reduced another bad accident may be avoided.
Rush 600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 07 GSX 500ss
Favorite Riding Area: Canaan Vt
11-12 Mileage: 750
10-11 Mileage: 1429
Riding Since: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCod Brian View Post
I was actually the 1st group on the scene after it happened and was the one who dialed West Dover Police (FYI... Verizon has good service in there). Her son, who was on the back and is fine said that she got nervous making that corner and instead of hitting the brake, she unfortunately hit the gas and went off. The sled got wedged between two trees and when she hit, her helmet hit one of the trees. It was a full face helmet and the impact cracked the mouth guard on it - it did its job and makes you appreciate what a helmet can do.

It took a good 45 minutes to an hour after I hung up with the Police for resuce to get there. Her husband, Bill, was able to get her helmet off and the bleeding stopped, but her face had a lot of damage - broken jaw, chin, huge cut from the nose down to the side of the mouth. Both Deerfield Valley Rescue and Wardsboro came to the scene - they collared her and put her on a backboard. We carried her up and put her in the rescue sled to be taken down toward the Matterhorn - they then life flighted her to Dartmouth. We offered to drive the kids back to Chimney Hill but some of their friends who were riding with them were taking them back on sleds.

If anyone here knows her personally, please let her and Bill know that Brian, Ed, Lorraine and Karl are all wishing her the best and we're thinking of her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by red800rev View Post
heard about accident hope she is ok ,Friend has a house right buy there ,we figured we could help out we went and draged sled out it is at his house, If any one can contact the owner of sled , PM me his number ,and he can pick it up or we can drop it off for him ,we will be back up this friday ,thank you Joe

Guys I work with Bill, and once things improve, hopefully this week, I can get him in contact with where the sled is and such. At this point with a young family and such, sled is least of concerns.

Thanks for all the support and help on the trails !!!!!!
Mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 98,04,05 2013 polaris XC/ Indy
Favorite Riding Area: From my driveway
13-14 Mileage: 2428
12-13 Mileage: 1250?
11-12 Mileage: 2500?
10-11 Mileage: 3700?
Riding Since: 1974

Lets someone with some internet savy, and a good printer have us all sign a "getwell soon" card and send it to her,.. Anyone out there Have this ability??
serbiesnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement