Hunting in Massachusetts - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Vermont This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2009 Nytro XTX
Previous Sled(s): 2003 ski doo rev 600 mxz
Favorite Riding Area: Coolidge state forest
14-15 Mileage: 1000
13-14 Mileage: 800
Riding Since: 1995
Default Hunting in Massachusetts

Figured id post here since mass forum looks dead. When hunting in Massachusetts, can you hunt land that isnt posted without owner permission? I know that is the case in some states. Or do you need verbal/written permission from land owner? Here in CT you need written for deer and turkeys but verbal for all other species. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
drunkenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
15-16 Mileage: Zero
14-15 Mileage: not much
Riding Since: 70 s

I'd be careful on that verbal permission for the species other than deer and turkey on private land in ct. I was warned years ago by a game warden while i was hunting small game on private land which i had verbal permission for, that i should carry written permission anytime if hunting on property that didn't belong to me....said verbal wasn't enough.
I know anytime we put an enduro event on in ma....we must have the landowners permission in writing to cross their property and thats every landowner.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 13 xf snow pro 1100 turbo, 03 FireCat f7
Previous Sled(s): 2008 ski doo 860 Mxz big bore , 2008 ski doo renegade 800 x
Favorite Riding Area: Northeast Kingdom
Riding Since: 1997

99% sure you can hunt mass private land if its not posted. boss lives there and is a hunter
revturbo9967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 97 t cat
Favorite Riding Area: Pinedale WY
15-16 Mileage: 100
Riding Since: 1977

OK< My suggestion is this, better safe than sorry, get it in writing!

I once had a issue with a land owner changing his mind AFTER he told me I could hunt there, and it was like 3 hrs later>

I was on an out of state hunt, and a friend told me about a land owner that let guys hunt if they stopped and asked, and was prime land!

I drove by, land owner in drive way working on a tractor, I stopped in and asked if OK if I hunted there and walked his land.
he said, sure NO problem, I let anyone hunt if they ask>?

seemed perfect!
I parked about a 100 yards from the guys driveway,as he ASKED ME TO!, he told me where to park so I wouldn;t be in the way!

I grabbed my gear and bow, and was going to call today a scouting mission and just took bow just in case!
I walked the land and scouted it, looking for some stand sites, came out of woods about half hr before dark, and found a game warden parked at my truck?
OK< NO big deal to me, ain;'t breaking any laws/
warden checked my lic and such, and then asked if I had permission to hunt there!

I said, yes, I asked the owner TODAY, a few hrs ago, and to be honest, we could see him still in his drive way, a 100 yrds away!

Warden, says, OK< well lets walk over there and make sure?

OK< still thinking all is fine, as I DID ask! and was told OK!

we get about half way up the drive way, and the land owner starts screaming at me and the warden, saying how he HATES Freaking game dept, and why in the world would I BRING them there!, and on a heavy 4 letter word rant at me and the warden.
OH CRAP I am thinking at this point!

so, warden proceeds to ask the warden if I have permission and even says I DIDN"T do anything wrong, IF I have permission. and he is TRYING to actually HELP the land owner not harass him!
Land owner is having NONE of it, swearing at warden, saying I DIDN"T have permission to be there and so on !
warden is trying to repeat that I told him, I had asked him 3 hrs ago, and just wanted to know if I did this or not
Land owner is refusing to answer, just swearing at him
Apparently he has a BIG issue with ALL law enforcement, and is viewing this as I brought the law in on him??
I never even meet the guy prior to that day, either one of them??

after about 20 minutes, the warden I guess got the picture, that I DID actually ask him, and its just the guy, being NUTS, here
SO< he told, me just DON"T come back, this guy ain't stable, so I don't get in any other trouble.

after this deal, I will NOT hunt any private land without written permission, I carry permission to hunt slips with me, ALL a land owner has to do, is date and sign, takes them seconds and saves me any grief like this again or worse!
mrbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 14 Polaris SB 600,04 xc & 2up
Previous Sled(s): Ski Doo's
Favorite Riding Area: NEK
16-17 Mileage: 1450
15-16 Mileage: 427
14-15 Mileage: 2213
Riding Since: 1971

I am not a hunter, but have many friends who do in Mass. I think in Mass it is town by town. I know that in my town they passed a reg that you need to have permission , I remember when it was passed at town meeting , thought it was a shame it passed.
1/4miledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Ma.
15-16 Mileage: Zero
14-15 Mileage: not much
Riding Since: 70 s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
OK< My suggestion is this, better safe than sorry, get it in writing!

I once had a issue with a land owner changing his mind AFTER he told me I could hunt there, and it was like 3 hrs later>

I was on an out of state hunt, and a friend told me about a land owner that let guys hunt if they stopped and asked, and was prime land!

I drove by, land owner in drive way working on a tractor, I stopped in and asked if OK if I hunted there and walked his land.
he said, sure NO problem, I let anyone hunt if they ask>?

seemed perfect!
I parked about a 100 yards from the guys driveway,as he ASKED ME TO!, he told me where to park so I wouldn;t be in the way!

I grabbed my gear and bow, and was going to call today a scouting mission and just took bow just in case!
I walked the land and scouted it, looking for some stand sites, came out of woods about half hr before dark, and found a game warden parked at my truck?
OK< NO big deal to me, ain;'t breaking any laws/
warden checked my lic and such, and then asked if I had permission to hunt there!

I said, yes, I asked the owner TODAY, a few hrs ago, and to be honest, we could see him still in his drive way, a 100 yrds away!

Warden, says, OK< well lets walk over there and make sure?

OK< still thinking all is fine, as I DID ask! and was told OK!

we get about half way up the drive way, and the land owner starts screaming at me and the warden, saying how he HATES Freaking game dept, and why in the world would I BRING them there!, and on a heavy 4 letter word rant at me and the warden.
OH CRAP I am thinking at this point!

so, warden proceeds to ask the warden if I have permission and even says I DIDN"T do anything wrong, IF I have permission. and he is TRYING to actually HELP the land owner not harass him!
Land owner is having NONE of it, swearing at warden, saying I DIDN"T have permission to be there and so on !
warden is trying to repeat that I told him, I had asked him 3 hrs ago, and just wanted to know if I did this or not
Land owner is refusing to answer, just swearing at him
Apparently he has a BIG issue with ALL law enforcement, and is viewing this as I brought the law in on him??
I never even meet the guy prior to that day, either one of them??

after about 20 minutes, the warden I guess got the picture, that I DID actually ask him, and its just the guy, being NUTS, here
SO< he told, me just DON"T come back, this guy ain't stable, so I don't get in any other trouble.

after this deal, I will NOT hunt any private land without written permission, I carry permission to hunt slips with me, ALL a land owner has to do, is date and sign, takes them seconds and saves me any grief like this again or worse!
I had a similar deal on a landowners property getting verbal permission....told him i was hunting grouse and rabbits only....said no problem. A week later as i'm coming up the grass woods road tony truck a game warden is standing next to it want for me. I tell him the story, but he's there because of past deer poaching and figures i'm his fish. I show him my over/under 20 gauge with shells of #6 shot. Long story short i get a written warning for not having written landowner permission to be there. I told the landowner the story after getting back and he did go to bat for me explaining i wasn't out deer hunting. Imo like said have it in writing because it can be a pita later when a warden might show.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 13 xf snow pro 1100 turbo, 03 FireCat f7
Previous Sled(s): 2008 ski doo 860 Mxz big bore , 2008 ski doo renegade 800 x
Favorite Riding Area: Northeast Kingdom
Riding Since: 1997

just clarified, you do not need permission if its not posted

land owner can ask you to leave if they find you there, even if its not posted, but nothing can be done to you
revturbo9967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 97 t cat
Favorite Riding Area: Pinedale WY
15-16 Mileage: 100
Riding Since: 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by revturbo9967 View Post

land owner can ask you to leave if they find you there, even if its not posted, but nothing can be done to you
I wouldn;t say NOTHING will be done to you
your reputation can be damaged

here in PA< , trespassing is a HUGE issue,
far too many THINK its OK< to trespass at will, if they see or DON"T See a sign.
legally its a wash out at times on NON posted land, and even posted land, as a trespasser can just say I didn';t see IT
But the problem IMO is this
a responsible persons will ASK before entering someone else land, its the RIGHT thing to do!

IF you owned land, you some times have to think from there side,
HOW would you feel to find folks on your land NOT knowing who they are!
you paid for the land and other USING it for free, can some times offend land owners, and rightfully so IMO

or say a land owner planned a nice private , what ever for his friends traveling from afar, and then YOU show up , throwing a screw into his plans.
Damage will already be done, and you could loose a nice hunting spot due to NOT simply asking first

so, legally, maybe NO fines can get to you
but your reputation and possibly loosing a good spot to hunt can be lost by NOT asking.
a simple courtier, can go a long way some times!
mrbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '13 RR 800
Previous Sled(s): 01 ZR8, 03,05,07 mxzx 800, cfr8
Favorite Riding Area: nek
14-15 Mileage: 3200
13-14 Mileage: 1000
Riding Since: 1993

Why would you want to hunt mass? There isn't anything here to hunt.
buckland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 High Country LE 800
Favorite Riding Area: Wyo. / UP / Irons
16-17 Mileage: .25
15-16 Mileage: 660
14-15 Mileage: 2300
13-14 Mileage: 2200

Quote:
Originally Posted by revturbo9967 View Post

What a BS law, I don't understand why someone who purchased the land, pays taxes on the land then is responsible to slap up signs every few feet all the way around the property to keep someone out.
jjlrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement