Vast fee tipping point - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Vermont This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Polaris Assault 2017 144
Previous Sled(s): 1998 El Tigre; 2002 ZR; 2015 XF; 2016 ZR
15-16 Mileage: 1100
14-15 Mileage: 1600
Riding Since: 1988
Default Vast fee tipping point

The group of VT'rs I ride with had an in depth "conversation" at lunch while riding Saturday. What will be the tipping point where the cost will stop us from riding in VT.

NH non residents I pay $116
Maine non residents pay $99
VT RESIDENT pay $183 (registration and TMA)

We all understand the cost and actually we all cut trail and maintain our local southern vt trail so we know the work and volunteer hours required.

I left from Rte 2 crossing that was 1.5 hours from home but Lancaster bridge to nh is only .5 hours further. Next year my son will ride so $200 sled may be the tipping point to by pass vt. How ironic I will volunteer and cut and maintain local but will skip riding there.

How many riders have already done this? What is vast tma sales numbers. Are they on a decline?

Not instigating a argument but just curious if others are feeling the same way.
motoski292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
PW1
Super Advanced Member

It's defiantly becoming a consideration. But NH sucks (to many people/fish and game) and Maine is to far away for every weekend.
I guess I will just register in all 3 as usual
PW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): XS X Gade
Previous Sled(s): Lots of Doo's
Favorite Riding Area: Where the snow is deeeep
15-16 Mileage: Not enough
Riding Since: 2002

IMO yes the entire sport I'd snowmobiling in the northeast is at a decline, lets face it, it's expensive! It's not going to get any cheaper, it's becoming a sport for a select few compared to years past. Can it be done on the cheap? Of course but the majority want to ride newer machines, have newer trucks, newer trailers etc, I was introduced to the sport around 23-34 years old by a close friend, I'm fortunate that he showed me the ways (where to ride, where to stay) and helped me along the way, I'm also fortunate that I've had a good job with opportunities that enabled me to purchase new sleds and equipment, at 35 I've had four new sleds and prolly 6-7 used sleds, 2 trailer (one being brand new) and numerous trucks to haul everything. I have friends my age that can't buy a cup of coffee and still live with mommy and daddy, it's just the way it is, lack of motivation, lack of drive etc. I do my best to introduce new riders to the sport and have been successful with a few but lets face it, it costs a good bit of money to enjoy the sport of snowmobiling plus the time it takes to get up north (for me), VT is 2 hours to the border for me, I'm at good riding at 2.5 hours, even though I also register in NH ill continue to register and ride in VT for convenice.....
qwick68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2017, 09:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Ski Doo Grand Touring, Ski Doo MXZ Sport
Previous Sled(s): Many
Favorite Riding Area: NEK
Riding Since: 70's

I think it would be good if Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire would just simply offer reciprocal registration privileges and then agree on a trail pass fee that would permit use in all three states (Tri-State permit) as well as a lower trail permit fee for use in the riders home state only. They could then simply divide up the trail pass proceeds from the "Tri-State" permits. I am sure this could be worked out to provide a more cost effective alternative for those snowmobiler's that wish to ride in all three states.
BRPGrandTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2-Z-1 turbo's
Favorite Riding Area: Pittsburg, Quebec
15-16 Mileage: <1000
14-15 Mileage: 2500
Riding Since: 1970

Just my opinion...in NH we are overdue for a registration price increase because the current price does not keep up with the cost of equipment and fuel to maintain our trails. Add in the decreasing number of registered sleds and we will soon reach a point where our trails won't get the maintenance necessary to make them the good trails they are. As for the "fish cops", they're stretched too thin to be effective...just know their hiding spots and you will never have a problem. The crowded trails are the ones in the extreme north!
I would say VAST is on the right track...
liv2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 09 Skidoo GTX 500ss, 05 Skidoo GTX 500ss
Previous Sled(s): 99mxz600,98mxz500,96formSLS,95formS,91safari L,85citation LS
Favorite Riding Area: central and norther Vermont
16-17 Mileage: 305
15-16 Mileage: est. 150
14-15 Mileage: 1545
13-14 Mileage: 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRPGrandTouring View Post
I think it would be good if Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire would just simply offer reciprocal registration privileges and then agree on a trail pass fee that would permit use in all three states (Tri-State permit) as well as a lower trail permit fee for use in the riders home state only. They could then simply divide up the trail pass proceeds from the "Tri-State" permits. I am sure this could be worked out to provide a more cost effective alternative for those snowmobiler's that wish to ride in all three states.
One issue with combining the 3 states is that Maine and NH are state run where VT is a private not for profit organization. I wouldn't want to see the state take it over because it would then be politically run instead of user run. There are already landowners out there that think by shutting down a section of trail they are putting a thorn into the side of the state government of vermont when really they are hurting their neighbors and businesses and the organization itself. It is definitely tough with more then one sled. I have to save up through the year for that and for any repairs needed.
mxzwild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Ski-Doo 1200 Blizzard
Previous Sled(s): 1200 Renegade
Riding Since: 1974

Good used sleds are cheaper to ride in the long term than they ever have been. 600 etecs will go roughly 3X more miles than the older 2 strokes ever did and 4 strokes are out there running over 20,000 miles routinely.
Chaincases, driveshaft/ jackshaft bearings and other drivetrain issues are insignificantly small if compared to 20 years ago.
So, I see the comparative cost of riding as lower overall if counting pennies. Years ago, if you bought a used sled, it was generally junk. Not true anymore.
Vermont's system is better than any system in the country and worth every penny, in my opinion.
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Ski-Doo 1200 Blizzard
Previous Sled(s): 1200 Renegade
Riding Since: 1974

I got off point on that last post, picking up on someone else's comment.

As far as a tipping point...my number is somewhere above $400 and it would be a move to Quebec, not NH or Maine as my primary.
Currently, you are saying VT is a $67 premium over NH, assuming equivalent products. Well, VT is a much more organized network, but let's say they're equal. If you ride 10 times in a season, you would burn another 10 hours of gas in your scenario...I don't think you could get 10 hours on $67 of fuel.
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 BLIZZARD 900
Previous Sled(s): Yamaha XT, Doo 440, 07 GSX
Favorite Riding Area: Canaan Vt
16-17 Mileage: 933
15-16 Mileage: goose egg
14-15 Mileage: 350
Riding Since: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoski292 View Post
The group of VT'rs I ride with had an in depth "conversation" at lunch while riding Saturday. What will be the tipping point where the cost will stop us from riding in VT.

NH non residents I pay $116
Maine non residents pay $99
VT RESIDENT pay $183 (registration and TMA)

NH is $67 dollars more expensive, and Maine is $84.

From my perspective, you are talking one tank of fuel in a truck. If I was to go to Maine, id spend more fuel than that to get there extra, plus your drive time and vehicle maintenance.

The TMA and registration, on AVERAGE, is one of the lowest cost items compared to sleds, vehicles, trailers, fuel, hotel, insurance, etc. But it repairs bridges, insures the trails, and provides the groomers which are averaging over $200,000 to fully set up a new Tucker.

I used to complain , until I watched the credit card, and see what everything else costs.

NEW 2016 BLIZZARD
Mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Renegade 800
Previous Sled(s): Yamaha, Cat, Polaris
Favorite Riding Area: Allagash
14-15 Mileage: 2950

Everything is expensive at a high level. Track bike racing, fly fishing, RC airplanes, antiques, scotch, prostitutes... Gotta pay to play. You can do most hobbies on the cheap if you want, but it's not nearly as enjoyable.
jethroxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement