Vast fee tipping point - Page 8 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Vermont This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2017, 10:04 AM   #71 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 SkiDoo SWT E-Tec + 3 others
Previous Sled(s): 2005 Doo GTX SDI Ltd, 2006 Doo Renegade 600 SDI, 94 Doo 470
Favorite Riding Area: Nek in VT/Great N Woods NH
14-15 Mileage: 1700
13-14 Mileage: 1200
Riding Since: 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
In my opinion Vermont needs to simplify the trail pass purchase. I see comments all the time on sled pages on Facebook of riders asking what it entails to ride in Vermont matter of fact their is one this morning on the forum asking about riding in Vermont. My suggestion would be is to make it a one stop shopping( TMA, Insurance and Club Dues even registration sticker all in one). The new webpage allowing you to purchase a TMA online is an excellent start, next thing I would suggest is to eliminate the registration sticker. For a first timer who registers a sled in Vermont it's a bitch mailing in separate paperwork to the VT DMV so they can mail you a separate sticker, that's BS Maine or NH have no such thing. With the way society is today, kids playing sports, employers being more demanding than ever people don't have time jumping through hoops to go snowmobiling they want point and click and done let's go riding. Let me just say, I ride in all three states, own property with trail access in Vermont and nothing tops Vermont's trail system however the state of Maine nailed it when it comes to registering a sled or ATV. It literally takes less than 3 minutes on one web page, point and click and done!
Making it simpler would help. The on-line TMA is heading in that direction.

Being able to get insurance at the same time would be HUGE. Not sure who remembers, but the first year (only the first year) VT had the 3 (or was it a 5 day) pass, it INCLUDED insurance to make things simple.

I know every time I explain to somebody the "Your sled must be registered SOMEWHERE, then you need to buy a TMA", etc. Then I tell them if your sled is 'registered' in Vermont you can get the In-State TMA which is cheaper, blah, blah, blah. Once they start Snoring and their eyes roll back in their head I know it's too complex.
bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #72 (permalink)
HCS Ladies!

Current Sled(s): 2016 Blizzard 900 Ace
Favorite Riding Area: Vermont

Well, I thought it was a plus that VAST isn't tied into the State of Vermont DMV?
Aren't Maine and NH trails are in bed with their state government which is probably why its one stop shopping?
Why should VAST or the clubs do DMV's job or even the sled owner's?
Online in Quebec, I just fill out what my state reg # is and the state I'm from.

Register your sled, research what way is cheaper, ie. early bird (PQ does this too btw) or wait to see if it snows then pay the premium.
It is pretty much like that with everything nowadays.
It would be nice to see more people riding but it is super expensive costs going down?
tundrafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #73 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 16 Switchback, 16 Blizzard 900 ACE
Previous Sled(s): TEN Ski-Doos and 1 Polaris
Favorite Riding Area: NEK, NH, ME, QC
16-17 Mileage: 1600

Trail closure(s) are my tipping point. Remember when there was a use study for the Silvio O. Conte area - that area market “Sensitive” on the VAST map in the NEK??.. Think about all the trails lost in the last 10 years and how few new trails created…
snowcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #74 (permalink)
mjr
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2009 MXZ TNT 1200
Previous Sled(s): 2000 SXR 600, 2002 ZR 800
Favorite Riding Area: VT, Pittburg and Rangeley ME.
16-17 Mileage: 947
15-16 Mileage: 415
14-15 Mileage: 1200
13-14 Mileage: 1035
Riding Since: 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrafreak View Post
Well, I thought it was a plus that VAST isn't tied into the State of Vermont DMV?
Aren't Maine and NH trails are in bed with their state government which is probably why its one stop shopping?
Online in Quebec, I just fill out what my state reg # is and the state I'm from.

Register your sled, research what way is cheaper, ie. early bird (PQ does this too btw) or wait to see if it snows then pay the premium.
It would be nice to see more people riding but it is super expensive costs going down?
That square yellow and green sticker that has letters and numbers is from the DMV and not VAST.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #75 (permalink)
mjr
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
Making it simpler would help. The on-line TMA is heading in that direction.

Being able to get insurance at the same time would be HUGE. Not sure who remembers, but the first year (only the first year) VT had the 3 (or was it a 5 day) pass, it INCLUDED insurance to make things simple.

I know every time I explain to somebody the "Your sled must be registered SOMEWHERE, then you need to buy a TMA", etc. Then I tell them if your sled is 'registered' in Vermont you can get the In-State TMA which is cheaper, blah, blah, blah. Once they start Snoring and their eyes roll back in their head I know it's too complex.
Yes I remember that, one of my buddies who generally doesn't ride in Vermont was able to purchase the 5 day pass at the Hilltop in Barre which included the registration, TMA and insurance. From what I understand that's not an option anymore as those locations that sell TMA's no longer handle the registration piece that's handled by the DMV.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #76 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): M1000-153/15-PRO RMK-155/14 Assualt 144
Favorite Riding Area: Moosehead Region
Riding Since: 1980

I stopped going 15 yrs ago. Between the cost the goat paths and the police on sleds. I'll never go back.
gbzr900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #77 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 02 MM700, 99 Indy SKS, 99 Formula DLX
Previous Sled(s): 86 Polaris Indy 600
Favorite Riding Area: Between the trees
15-16 Mileage: It's
14-15 Mileage: All
13-14 Mileage: About
Riding Since: 2009

Quote:

NH clubs get money from the general fund as a guess as to actual members and therefor funds. Best thing you can do in NH is send your membership to the club, they cash the check and get money right now. Even if you live in VT VAST honors the NH registration as being registered. You could register in NH, buy a TMA and cut the VT DMV out of it. Now you have 2 states to ride in and saved a little money.

"We're having a hard time keeping people moving in the direction we need to go.....because the snow is deep"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Backwoods M Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #78 (permalink)
HCS Ladies!

Current Sled(s): 2016 Blizzard 900 Ace
Favorite Riding Area: Vermont

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr View Post
That square yellow and green sticker that has letters and numbers is from the DMV and not VAST.
Yeah just like my big green plate on my truck & trailer the little white stickers come when I send DMV monies

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
tundrafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #79 (permalink)
mjr
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah just like my big green plate on my truck & trailer the little white stickers come when I send DMV monies

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Exactly
Old 01-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #80 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Ski Doo Grand Touring, Ski Doo MXZ Sport
Previous Sled(s): Many
Favorite Riding Area: NEK
Riding Since: 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbzr900 View Post
I stopped going 15 yrs ago. Between the cost the goat paths and the police on sleds. I'll never go back.
Me and my family have been riding in Vermont since like 1970 and have never been unduly interfered with by the police. Once I did ride through a Fish and Game checkpoint and they looked at my registration and VAST sticker and just waived me through. No problems.
BRPGrandTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement