need help with swapping out Flying Nun - HCS Snowmobile Forums

New Hampshire This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I have a 05 Rev 600 SDI that the left ski hit a railroad tie at literally 5-10mph and pushed the ski back 4-5 inches I know I have to change the nun but not sure how to do it, my dealer has whatever I need for parts. Has anyone done this before? I live in Raymond and have a 4 car garage with a full tool box and an air compressor if anyone is lookingfor some extra cash or beer and wings let me know, I have another buddy of mine who is a mechanic but we have never had a front of a sled apart before and I dont want to start taking stuff apart that I dont need too, any help would be great. Thanks
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

The latest sno-goer has a nice detailed write up on doing just that.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2011 600 RS, 2004 MXZX 440/800
Previous Sled(s): 2003 Sno Pro 440, 1999 ZR 600, 1989 JAG 440
Riding Since: 1995

Its a pretty straight forward procedure, just time consuming. Basically you start at the front and work your way back. Take off the nose cone, front bumper, a-arms, front suspension and steering components and youre left with the nun. Just unbolt and drill rivots from there. Theres a bunch of rivots to drill out and most people replace them with small bolts when they put the new nun back on. Makes it easier on you if you have to replace it again. I replaced one in August and it took me about 4 hours of work to get the sled torn apart and put back together. So stock up on beer and have at it. Good luck.

RAVE X MOTORSPORTS
zrider600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
I have a 05 Rev 600 SDI that the left ski hit a railroad tie at literally 5-10mph and pushed the ski back 4-5 inches I know I have to change the nun but not sure how to do it, my dealer has whatever I need for parts. Has anyone done this before? I live in Raymond and have a 4 car garage with a full tool box and an air compressor if anyone is lookingfor some extra cash or beer and wings let me know, I have another buddy of mine who is a mechanic but we have never had a front of a sled apart before and I dont want to start taking stuff apart that I dont need too, any help would be great. Thanks[/b]
Did you have precision or simmons skis on it? I found out the hard way, that with dual runner skis, that when riding on railbed your outter carbide runner will hit rail connector plate bolts. I wiped out both sides, upper and lower a-arms along with rod ends and drag link. With single runner, the skis are the only thing that hits the connector bolts is the side of the ski. This is why the sides of your ski's get so beat up.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 250 cc's of danger
Favorite Riding Area: trail 345
Riding Since: 1975

It's not that hard,I just did a nun/bulkhead on a 04,removing the damn ski-doo rivets was the worst part,take your time,take pics as you go if you need(I did).

Time consuming yes,but you will know you did it right and can do it again if need be.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): My couch
Previous Sled(s): 03 f7, 03 f5, 01 mxz600, 01 mxz500f
Favorite Riding Area: lakes region
Riding Since: 80's

Quote:
I have a 05 Rev 600 SDI that the left ski hit a railroad tie at literally 5-10mph and pushed the ski back 4-5 inches I know I have to change the nun but not sure how to do it, my dealer has whatever I need for parts. Has anyone done this before? I live in Raymond and have a 4 car garage with a full tool box and an air compressor if anyone is lookingfor some extra cash or beer and wings let me know, I have another buddy of mine who is a mechanic but we have never had a front of a sled apart before and I dont want to start taking stuff apart that I dont need too, any help would be great. Thanks[/b]
rob if you need an extra hand give me a call
groaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Pick up a Service Manual for the sled. Manuals are great, especially ones with lots of pictures. They can be pricey,but well worth the expense if you do a few repairs.
Bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Advanced Member

mxzxguy, steve is correct . .goer has a pretty good article on how to replace the nun. if your ski is 4-5 inches back you will probably need to replace the plate the nun attaches to. I had to replace mine 2 years ago and i am no kind of mechanic,just takes time . Just like in the s-g article i had to replace the clutch side engine mount support bracket and dolly out the bulkhead. this involved removing the engine. I put mine together using 5x12mm screws w/ nyloc nuts (just like s-g did) this allows you to more easily line things up before sinching them down, (only one shot w/ rivets). The parts are pretty cheap and the project is well worth the effort just take your time . you will not finish in 4 hours. GOOD LUCK PLAIN-REV
plain-rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement