Whats the best GPS to use for snowmobiling - HCS Snowmobile Forums

New Hampshire This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2007, 09:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2004 "snoworx" modified Rev 800
Previous Sled(s): yamaha apex, 03 rev 800, viper700, and a couple yard beaters
Favorite Riding Area: pittsburg, twin mountain
10-11 Mileage: 1500
Riding Since: 1998

Hi I know this topic was on here before but I could not find it in the search.I was wondering what you guys use for a gps for snowmobiling.My wife bought me the Magellan explorist 210 handheld GPS.Is this a good brand to use or is there something better.I have not taken it out of the box yet and I am not sure if this model or any model would actually show the trail route numbers or intersections for instance trail 140 in Pittsburg.Or will it just show my path as a line like my boat GPS used to.Any help on what you guys use would be great.I apologize if this should have been in the general forum but I figured I would get some good local response from here.
Thank You
Yamahoo
yamahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi I know this topic was on here before but I could not find it in the search.I was wondering what you guys use for a gps for snowmobiling.My wife bought me the Magellan explorist 210 handheld GPS.Is this a good brand to use or is there something better.I have not taken it out of the box yet and I am not sure if this model or any model would actually show the trail route numbers or intersections for instance trail 140 in Pittsburg.Or will it just show my path as a line like my boat GPS used to.Any help on what you guys use would be great.I apologize if this should have been in the general forum but I figured I would get some good local response from here.
Thank You
Yamahoo [/b]
I would suggest going to the GPS forum, here on HCS. You will find some very useful info on there. As for how the track reads, it won't show the trail intersections. Basicaly, you will have a basic overlay of tote roads, main roads, and highways. As you go aroung you can enter in trail intersections etc. The trail intersection markers have the GPS coodernates on them. That coupled with new club map and you should be able to establish your own gps tracks and routes for future use.
You will find being able to backtrack etc. pretty handy when getting dark or snowing hard.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thank you for the info I appreciate it and I did not even see the GPS forum thank you again
Yamahoo
Old 01-20-2007, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Advanced Member

I have a Garmin GPS 60 CS map and I am very happy with it.. It has a color display andcome loaded with what they call "BaseLevel street maps" loaded in to it. You can buy more detailed street maps if you want but I have not needed it.. It displays a trail where you have been and you can download it into a laptop to save your trip info. You can mark important places with "waypoints" which is very useful for snowmobiling and it will have speed, direction and altitude info for you to review later.

To use it in your truck or car you need the auxillary antenna for short money as it needs a clear view of the sky as does all gps units.
THE RENEGADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
ckf
Super Advanced Member

I have the Garmin 60csx mounted on my sled with a ram mount. I use mapsource topo US.

ckf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank You
Yamahoo [/b]
I would highly recommend finding some way to hardwire its power into the sled. It's tough to keep batteries running in the cold.
nhsledatvrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

thank you for all the response.I took the magellan 210 I have out and it looks like it will work pretty good for what I want.We have been going to Pittsburg for years so I know the trail system pretty well but I want it for some off trail riding and if I venture to any other areas to ride that i am not familiar with like canada or Maine.They sell a handlebar mount I think I might get. It looks like from a few pics you guys put them on and they work pretty good.Also I ordered some energizer Lithium batteries that another HCS member suggested to get more battery life out of it.Thanks again for all the response.
Yamahoo
Old 01-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: Coos County

I use a Magellan Meridian Gold with TOPO maps also. I think for snowmobiling the TOPO maps really help out. RAM mount seems to be pretty common - I can mount on the sleds and ATV's pretty easily with the ball mounts.

Pittsburg Ridge Runners, the northern most club in New Hampshire

Members:
ct_skidoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: NH/Maine
Riding Since: 1990

I have the explorist 210, I just keep it in my pocket to record waypoints for my tracks. It a pretty basic unit but it works for what I'm using it for, when I save up some cash I'm going to get the same unit as ckf, 60csx.
Advertisement