Attention county guys - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Maine This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): XF 1100 TURBO
Previous Sled(s): 2009 TZ1 Turbo, 2005 F7, 1993 XLT sp, and a Few Others
Riding Since: 1988
Default Attention county guys

I need help finding a place where I can trailer to and just get a few miles on the new sled so I can get an idea as far as set up to be ready for next season. I know I won't get any good riding in but need anything at all. Gonna grab the old man and drag him north with tomorrow to play around and spend a night or two. Thanks in advance for any info

PFM is always a suitable answer!
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 xf1100 turbo lxr
Favorite Riding Area: Northern Maine
13-14 Mileage: 1775
12-13 Mileage: 1850
11-12 Mileage: 1800
10-11 Mileage: 2500
Riding Since: 1978

Only recommendations at this point after a season of riding is to scrap the stock skis and go with some pilots or other deep keel ski that will get you some good bite/steering as these sleds will push in corners especially with studs. Hope you can find some snow, but if you're looking for a baseline on handling, start with different skis.
erskin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 Backcountry X 800etec

Quote:
Originally Posted by erskin View Post
Only recommendations at this point after a season of riding is to scrap the stock skis and go with some pilots or other deep keel ski that will get you some good bite/steering as these sleds will push in corners especially with studs. Hope you can find some snow, but if you're looking for a baseline on handling, start with different skis.
and if you are looking for a set of Pilot skis to switch to, I have a brand new black set of Pilot™ 5.7 with zero miles and brand new carbides for sale. PM if you got that route.
Windham Drifters
New Maine Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 f800 H.O snopro
Previous Sled(s): 09 f1000 s/p 07 f1000s/p, 04 f7s/p, zrt800,
Favorite Riding Area: maine= county
13-14 Mileage: 5300
12-13 Mileage: 3400
11-12 Mileage: 3950
10-11 Mileage: 2515
Riding Since: 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarriner60 View Post
I need help finding a place where I can trailer to and just get a few miles on the new sled so I can get an idea as far as set up to be ready for next season. I know I won't get any good riding in but need anything at all. Gonna grab the old man and drag him north with tomorrow to play around and spend a night or two. Thanks in advance for any info

when i left there 2 days ago, i seen guys parking on the side of the road right after the gas station in cross lake, about 2 miles past the gas station on the left heading to ft kent on 161 that is called caribou rd, you will see where the trail runs along side of 161 and where it crosses 161 you will see if goes strait up the power line, keep going about 1/2 mile and look on the left, you will see a trail that might still have snow on it, that trail is only about 1/4 mile to the junction, go strait across, that trail is 96 and that trail is about 1 mile, you will come to another junction, 96 goes right and if theres any snow left to the right, it should still be ice all the way for about 10 miles with many off trails, some long and some short, if you get to where i say go right and it don't look good, look left and that trail should be about 3 miles with plenty of off trail also, you can pick your way around that whole area and find your closest riding with out heading to the allagash witch is a lot further to go, about 40 miles from cross lake, if you get to mile marker 9 to 8 you will see my trail that is 4 miles long and with a few off trail off that, if you keep going on 96 to around mile marker 6 to 4 you will see more and more off trails, there is one off trail from around mile marker 4 to 8 will be a real long trail that comes out about mile marker 2 , if there is any snow left there since i left 2 days ago that will be your best bet until you get to the allagash, if you have a trail map, you can go to slybrook club house and take trail 73 towards cross lake and watch on you left for a off trail that says daigle, that is the other end of the trail that you pick up around mile marker 4 to 8 watch out that you don't get lost out there, there are so many trails out there that are not on the trail map and no one uses them, i know the guys that parked there 2 days ago were running all these i speak of, who knows if they don't know where they are going out there they still might be there running around in circles being lost, bring some bread crums with you to drop as you go so you can find your way out, it is a maze out there, watch out, the birds will eat your bread crums as you drop them if you have a trail map and a GPS you will be alset, they are getting about 2" of snow tonight so it will make it alot easyier to get out an about, plenty of more places i can tell you where to go, you can always call me, 1-603-262-0088
1(603) 262-0088
Home and winter # 1-207-834-5508 as in now
click on my logo to go to my web site.
all orders and info needs to be done through my email address, belangerracing@aol.com

The new high performance 300M reverse jack shafts to fit the stock cat secondary or the Yamaha apex secondary, non reverse shafts fit stock cat secondary or other
catf1000s/p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Frank you are great, thanks very much. I will probably print the page out as my trail map haha. I will also bring my maps and GPS

Old 03-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

i'm not saying there is any snow left but it would be a good place to try first
1(603) 262-0088
all orders and info needs to be done through my email address, belangerracing@aol.com

The new high performance 300M reverse jack shafts to fit the stock cat secondary or the Yamaha apex secondary, non reverse shafts fit stock cat secondary or other
Old 03-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

New Maine I have heard great things out of the guys converting over to the pilots, and there wouldn't be a big difference but I feel like I would want to go with either the 6.9 or the simmons gen 3. I don't think I push it hard enough in the trails to see the loss but I do like dropping off the trail and having some extra float. We'll see and I will get a hold of you if I decide to or if I know anyone. Thanks for the help
Old 03-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 440 bearcat
Favorite Riding Area: Soldier Pond
11-12 Mileage: not enough
10-11 Mileage: 800
Riding Since: 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by catf1000s/p View Post
when i left there 2 days ago, i seen guys parking on the side of the road right after the gas station in cross lake, about 2 miles past the gas station on the left heading to ft kent on 161 that is called caribou rd, you will see where the trail runs along side of 161 and where it crosses 161 you will see if goes strait up the power line, keep going about 1/2 mile and look on the left, you will see a trail that might still have snow on it, that trail is only about 1/4 mile to the junction, go strait across, that trail is 96 and that trail is about 1 mile, you will come to another junction, 96 goes right and if theres any snow left to the right, it should still be ice all the way for about 10 miles with many off trails, some long and some short, if you get to where i say go right and it don't look good, look left and that trail should be about 3 miles with plenty of off trail also, you can pick your way around that whole area and find your closest riding with out heading to the allagash witch is a lot further to go, about 40 miles from cross lake, if you get to mile marker 9 to 8 you will see my trail that is 4 miles long and with a few off trail off that, if you keep going on 96 to around mile marker 6 to 4 you will see more and more off trails, there is one off trail from around mile marker 4 to 8 will be a real long trail that comes out about mile marker 2 , if there is any snow left there since i left 2 days ago that will be your best bet until you get to the allagash, if you have a trail map, you can go to slybrook club house and take trail 73 towards cross lake and watch on you left for a off trail that says daigle, that is the other end of the trail that you pick up around mile marker 4 to 8 watch out that you don't get lost out there, there are so many trails out there that are not on the trail map and no one uses them, i know the guys that parked there 2 days ago were running all these i speak of, who knows if they don't know where they are going out there they still might be there running around in circles being lost, bring some bread crums with you to drop as you go so you can find your way out, it is a maze out there, watch out, the birds will eat your bread crums as you drop them if you have a trail map and a GPS you will be alset, they are getting about 2" of snow tonight so it will make it alot easyier to get out an about, plenty of more places i can tell you where to go, you can always call me, 1-603-262-0088

Good area in there to hunt for moose sheds and that's probably why those guys are in there... A word to the wise don't go on any ice covered bodies of water

Come stay with us at "Hartt's Outback"
Log Cabin Rental in the County
440bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
MASSCAT67

snowdepth map shows no snow
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphi...now_depth.html
Old 03-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

a better one, green 30 to40, yellow 20 to 30, red under 12"
1(603) 262-0088

Last edited by catf1000s/p; 04-27-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement