My First Trip to Caribou - A Little Disappointed - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Maine This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

12-13 Mileage: 2200
11-12 Mileage: 919
10-11 Mileage: 2200
Default My First Trip to Caribou - A Little Disappointed

Two weeks ago i traveled north from PA. to Caribou ME. I had a great time, lots of snow, good food, great people but i didn't get to see even one Moose.

I was envisioning The North Country to be alot like Northern Exposure(the TV show), where the Moose would walk thru the streets of town and the residents would act oblivious...Okay i exaggerated a bit, but i have never seen one of these great creatures in the wild and was hoping for glimpse of atleast one.....We have a few Elk in PA., any Elk In Maine ?

I believe it was a trail in the Frenchville System where the groomer didn't fully groom the entire width of the trail but left a divider separating the lanes. What a great idea that is, not having to worry if an oncoming sled is going to be on your side of the trail, plus when the trail base get's sparse that snow divider could get drug in by the groomer. I'd like to see more of that where possible.

I racked up 919 miles in 4 days riding solo and had a great time, well worth the 12 plus hour drive one way.

BTW the Fish Stew at Fredericks South Diner is awesome !
Alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 02:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 f800 H.O snopro
Previous Sled(s): 09 f1000 s/p 07 f1000s/p, 04 f7s/p, zrt800,
Favorite Riding Area: maine= county
13-14 Mileage: 5300
12-13 Mileage: 3400
11-12 Mileage: 3950
10-11 Mileage: 2515
Riding Since: 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias View Post
Two weeks ago i traveled north from PA. to Caribou ME. I had a great time, lots of snow, good food, great people but i didn't get to see even one Moose.

I was envisioning The North Country to be alot like Northern Exposure(the TV show), where the Moose would walk thru the streets of town and the residents would act oblivious...Okay i exaggerated a bit, but i have never seen one of these great creatures in the wild and was hoping for glimpse of atleast one.....We have a few Elk in PA., any Elk In Maine ?

I believe it was a trail in the Frenchville System where the groomer didn't fully groom the entire width of the trail but left a divider separating the lanes. What a great idea that is, not having to worry if an oncoming sled is going to be on your side of the trail, plus when the trail base get's sparse that snow divider could get drug in by the groomer. I'd like to see more of that where possible.

I racked up 919 miles in 4 days riding solo and had a great time, well worth the 12 plus hour drive one way.

come to my house and i will show you a moose, i have 5 in my back yard, one watches me at night from the hill top, i'm 12 miles from that trail your talking about, you might even see a bear if you walk up in my back woods or find where he is sleeping
1(603) 262-0088
Home and winter # 1-207-834-5508 as in now
click on my logo to go to my web site.
all orders and info needs to be done through my email address, belangerracing@aol.com

The new high performance 300M reverse jack shafts to fit the stock cat secondary or the Yamaha apex secondary, non reverse shafts fit stock cat secondary or other
catf1000s/p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Switchback Assault
Previous Sled(s): XC120 XC 5 7 8 D7 SB 6 F7 XF 800 SP
Favorite Riding Area: Northern NH Northwestern Maine
12-13 Mileage: 250
11-12 Mileage: 1100
10-11 Mileage: 1450
Riding Since: 10

You have elk in PA because they stock them there. I thought PA was trying to bring back elk but the only way they got there is by humans putting them there.
renegade18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 PRO RMK 600
Favorite Riding Area: Northwest Maine

Took me 5 seasons of riding before I saw my first moose this year, and let me tell you they are huge! I feel like you just have to be at the right place at the right time, I bet most of them are scared off by the noise of the machines before you even get close.. just my opinion
Old 03-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 06 poo 600 2013 lxr f1100 turbo
Favorite Riding Area: Patten
12-13 Mileage: 2600
11-12 Mileage: 2400
10-11 Mileage: 2000
Riding Since: 1966

Trust me,the last thing you want to see on a rr bed going 80-90 is a moose,us mainers dont really like them,my friend got killed by one on sled,my aunt and cousin almost got killed by one in there car on the interstate,they can be a pain in the butt for sure,ya good to see far off,but not when running down a fast trail.
mnmsnowbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thanks for coming to Maine from far away.We welcome you back anytime!Hopefully next time you'll see a moose!
snowtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 XF 800SP
Previous Sled(s): ZR600/F6/XF700SP/XF800
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec
13-14 Mileage: 3100
12-13 Mileage: 2425
11-12 Mileage: 1996
10-11 Mileage: 2510
Riding Since: 1975

We saw one a few weeks ago on 105, buddy almost tagged him at 100mph, with his Z1--was very close. I swear he had moose ball marks on his hood! HAHA
liv4sno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Arcticrapo
Previous Sled(s): Arcticrapo
Favorite Riding Area: Maine
11-12 Mileage: 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias View Post

I hear you there . My brother and I put on 1500 miles in two weekends , thats all over the northern and western parts of the state , daytime , nightime , ect , and did not see a single Moose or Deer the whole entire time . This is very strange as we see them constantly , every time we go up to ride . It was kind of a bummer in that regard .

Something was up for sure , only thing we could figure is , with the unusually low snow amounts this winter , they simply didn't need to come out of the woods to move around .
catbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): XF8000 137"
Previous Sled(s): Too many and still riding vintage relics
Favorite Riding Area: St.JohnValley;WesternMts;'Burg
13-14 Mileage: 1350
12-13 Mileage: 1500
11-12 Mileage: 2350
10-11 Mileage: 3485
Riding Since: 1966

Bingo! Didn't see one all season until last Sunday near St. David. Monster bull.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Snowmobile.com App from the middle of nowhere.
k9bitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
MASSCAT67

I have seen plenty of moose in maine but only 2 this year, 1 was standing on the side of i95 and it was a youngster the other i was riding up its 85 between portage lake and eagle lake about 6pm in the dark. It was a big one and he jumped off the trail instantly. Sometimes they can be stubborn and just slowly walk up the trail. When the snow is really deep is when you see more of them on the trails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement