Piston Bully - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Maine This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2011 GSX 1200
Previous Sled(s): 2008 Renegade 800R
Favorite Riding Area: Where there is snow
11-12 Mileage: 1486
10-11 Mileage: 2230
Riding Since: 1968

Hey guys

Our club here in Newbrunswick just bought a used Piston Bully.
I have seen a few in Maine during my travels there. How do you like them?
Any issues with them?
I believe ours is powered by a mercedes diesle?

Thanks for the comments!

The "Whaler "
whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

QUOTE (Whaler @ Aug 6 2010, 09:27 AM)
Quote:
Hey guys

Any issues with them?

Thanks for the comments![/b]
That's all the Pittsburg Ridge runners have and over the years they seem to have good luck with them, they tried 1 of those New holland tractor/ groomer and don't think it worked out to well. Good luck with the new/used groomer.
double d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 11 xf ltd 2.25
Favorite Riding Area: deep pow

QUOTE (Whaler @ Aug 6 2010, 08:27 AM)
Quote:
Hey guys

Any issues with them?

talk to subzerohero on here, he has 2 bullys.. Im sure once he sees it he'll chime in
phazerdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

QUOTE (phazerdrew @ Aug 6 2010, 07:13 PM)
Quote:
talk to subzerohero on here, he has 2 bullys.. Im sure once he sees it he'll chime in[/b]
I am a little concerned with the engine. Not sure about parts and etc?
Glad to hear all the comments!

Summer sucks! Too warm!

The "Whaler "
Old 08-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Freeride 137

QUOTE (Whaler @ Aug 9 2010, 12:57 PM)
Quote:
I am a little concerned with the engine. Not sure about parts and etc?
Glad to hear all the comments!

Summer sucks! Too warm![/b]
should be the same motor they use in commercial trucks so you can probably get your parts/maint from a commercial truck shop.
legend700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Is it a mid engine or under cab? Do yo know the year or model? Jackman had a PB 270 w/ a Mercedes V-6. Tons of power and torque, too much really for the cut down tracks... big appetite for fuel too. It also had a cracked sleeve and we went through abbout 5 gallons of coolant every night.

The ones we have at the FAR club are "newer" (mid 90's) PB 240's with the cummins inline 6. I think that the key to your success with the machine will be in upgrading to wide-as-feasible tracks. Jamie will tell you, the 24 inch track bars coupled with all that power really translate into trouble. We upgraded our 24 incher to 30 somethings and the difference is unbelievable. Our "big" PB has even wider tracks. Pulls a ten foot factory built mogul master with ease.

Another big factor with the former alpine machines is the blade up front. Good operators can keep a solid flat trail without the NASCAR corners, and if using the blade to prep the snow surface in front of the drag as you go, you don't have to carry as much snow in the drag and it can function as it was designed.

There are two major downsides of the PB's. One is that there are so many hydraulic lines, big and small, with fittings that tend to become leaky with age. Again, Jamie can testify to how frustrating that can be. Also, if a line ruptures on the trail, they can be a real nightmare to repair. The second is that there older machines came with an open faced track bar that was made of a spring steel. Very brittle and easily broken when crawling over rocks and stumps early, late, and during low snow periods. They are spendy! The newer closed face track bars are tenstimes more rugged, but again, very spendy to make that upgrade. FAR club bought a set for one of our machines for 5K and they had pretty rotten track belts. When we mentioned it to the vendor, the reply was that we were buying track bars, not rubber... The long and short of it is that the PB's require good maintemance and observant operators to catch trouble before it gets out of hand and costly.

It is worth noting that my machine with the FAR club ended the season with over 20K hours in the meter... the other machine was over 13K... fairly durable.

Good luck!

QUOTE (Whaler @ Aug 6 2010, 08:27 AM)
Quote:
Hey guys

Any issues with them?

mooseriverrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

QUOTE (mooseriverrover @ Sep 5 2010, 04:52 PM)
Quote:
Is it a mid engine or under cab? Do yo know the year or model? Jackman had a PB 270 w/ a Mercedes V-6. Tons of power and torque, too much really for the cut down tracks... big appetite for fuel too. It also had a cracked sleeve and we went through abbout 5 gallons of coolant every night.

The ones we have at the FAR club are "newer" (mid 90's) PB 240's with the cummins inline 6. I think that the key to your success with the machine will be in upgrading to wide-as-feasible tracks. Jamie will tell you, the 24 inch track bars coupled with all that power really translate into trouble. We upgraded our 24 incher to 30 somethings and the difference is unbelievable. Our "big" PB has even wider tracks. Pulls a ten foot factory built mogul master with ease.

Another big factor with the former alpine machines is the blade up front. Good operators can keep a solid flat trail without the NASCAR corners, and if using the blade to prep the snow surface in front of the drag as you go, you don't have to carry as much snow in the drag and it can function as it was designed.

There are two major downsides of the PB's. One is that there are so many hydraulic lines, big and small, with fittings that tend to become leaky with age. Again, Jamie can testify to how frustrating that can be. Also, if a line ruptures on the trail, they can be a real nightmare to repair. The second is that there older machines came with an open faced track bar that was made of a spring steel. Very brittle and easily broken when crawling over rocks and stumps early, late, and during low snow periods. They are spendy! The newer closed face track bars are tenstimes more rugged, but again, very spendy to make that upgrade. FAR club bought a set for one of our machines for 5K and they had pretty rotten track belts. When we mentioned it to the vendor, the reply was that we were buying track bars, not rubber... The long and short of it is that the PB's require good maintemance and observant operators to catch trouble before it gets out of hand and costly.

It is worth noting that my machine with the FAR club ended the season with over 20K hours in the meter... the other machine was over 13K... fairly durable.

Good luck![/b]
Thanks for the information.
I can't tell you what year and etc the machine is....I will go look and post it here.

Thank again!

The "Whaler "
Old 09-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Here is a picture.
I suppose with a trained eye you could tell?
I believe it came from a ski hill?

Thanks again for the help!

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PISTEN_BULLY_002.jpg (2.04 MB, 30 views)

The "Whaler "
Old 09-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I've had dealings with many Mercedes diesels in the past and they seem to be bulletproof. If it's the motor I'm thinking of it should be a chain drive OHC configuration that Merecedes used in cars (240D, 300D, etc) as well as in Marine and industrial applications in Turbo & Non-Turbo form. This is a modular platform for M-B and I've seen them in 2 through 5 cylinder configration and each cylinder displaced .6L (600cc), They also sometimes called this a "Nannideisel" in some of the Europoean industrial & marine forms but is the same motor. Parts availability should be excellent through most of your larger auto parts stores. This is not a fussy motor and as long as you use good quality oil and stay after the filters you should have a long & happy life with this unit. Hope this helps...
thominmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

QUOTE (thominmaine @ Sep 22 2010, 10:07 PM)
Quote:
I've had dealings with many Mercedes diesels in the past and they seem to be bulletproof. If it's the motor I'm thinking of it should be a chain drive OHC configuration that Merecedes used in cars (240D, 300D, etc) as well as in Marine and industrial applications in Turbo & Non-Turbo form. This is a modular platform for M-B and I've seen them in 2 through 5 cylinder configration and each cylinder displaced .6L (600cc), They also sometimes called this a "Nannideisel" in some of the Europoean industrial & marine forms but is the same motor. Parts availability should be excellent through most of your larger auto parts stores. This is not a fussy motor and as long as you use good quality oil and stay after the filters you should have a long & happy life with this unit. Hope this helps...[/b]
I appreciate your comments.
We certainly hope we have good luck!

Thanks again

The "Whaler "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement