Last day of winter - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Maine This is a State discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Default Last day of winter

Going to Canton/Dixfield area to see whats there. Cant ride next week so this may be it for me.

Add some stablil, top with non ethanol in Jay, wash the trailer..in case this is it for the season. Im hoping its not...but never know unless we decide to run to the County once. Been a great season if this is it.
eastmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Canton/Dixfeild was damn good for spring riding....trails from good to a few great.

Seeing occasional signs of stick ups etc. in some sunny spots. Worth riding right now.
Next weekend hard to say.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 15 Poo, 3 Cats and a Doo
Previous Sled(s): The list is long and distinguished
Favorite Riding Area: Gaspe
Riding Since: 1991

Plenty of snow between JTown and Eustis. Rode up towards the border last night when we got here. Snapped out a quick 50 miles. Won the lottery coming off the Border riders club trail up by the border as we met the groomer a mile down 89 and had first tracks all the way back to Jackman. Plenty of snow up there too. 205 miles today. Jackman-Grand Falls-Eustis-Kingfield and back. Grand Falls to Kingfield was mint and Eustis was already back out grooming by 5:30 tonight. Heard south down around the Bingham area was starting to thin out. Jackman got 18" of snow Tuesday and another 5" a day or two later. There was a ton of sled decks in town with off trail riders too. If it stays cold the riding may hold for another week or two without issue. All plowed roads are back to mud tho.
Superair is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2017, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superair View Post
Plenty of snow between JTown and Eustis. Rode up towards the border last night when we got here. Snapped out a quick 50 miles. Won the lottery coming off the Border riders club trail up by the border as we met the groomer a mile down 89 and had first tracks all the way back to Jackman. Plenty of snow up there too. 205 miles today. Jackman-Grand Falls-Eustis-Kingfield and back. Grand Falls to Kingfield was mint and Eustis was already back out grooming by 5:30 tonight. Heard south down around the Bingham area was starting to thin out. Jackman got 18" of snow Tuesday and another 5" a day or two later. There was a ton of sled decks in town with off trail riders too. If it stays cold the riding may hold for another week or two without issue. All plowed roads are back to mud tho.

Four of us did Eustis, Grand Falls to Lake Parlin Lodge Saturday, One in the group broke down and i towed him the last 15 miles by Coburn Mtn to Lake Parlin A "Lot" of sleds out on the trails, Trails were good groomed in the morning but were junk on the way back, Then i made the 1.5 hr trek to Parlin Township to pick up him and the sled, Long day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lewiston
gadedude07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Yeah Jackman was packed last night. The first 5 miles out of town last night was exactly what I expected lol. We got out late enough that they had started to groom tho.

I almost got hit by a guy towing a sled towards Eustis on the way back to JTown tonight. Not sure what the deal was with that. He was in the middle of the trail waving frantically at me as the towed sled was about to pass him on my side of the trail. No one on it. Then a sled behind him with two people on it waving like crazy.

ETA: Sucks Gade when you gotta bail out a buddy, but it happens. Been there. Done that. Lost a whole weekend of riding this year due to one of those situations. I'm sure he appreciated it.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

16-17 Mileage: 805
14-15 Mileage: 900

Always gotta help out your fellow riders. Especially your friends. As much is sucks.

Superair, was supposed to go to Newport on Saturday and today, but had to go out on the boat. Always works that way.

My trailer busted a leaf spring, so it's out of commission for the rest of the season. I could fix it but I can put my sled in my truck easier than trailer with the snowbank I made. Just gotta make sure wherever I go riding I can unload and load it back up. Someone said about 20 min past Norway lake there is plenty of snow banks to unload. I would like to ride somewhere that is groomed and taken care of regularly. I know it's probably longer than a 2 hour drive from South Portland. Jackman sounds good. So does Millinocket. I can make a day trip tomorrow. (Monday). Have to go back on boat Tuesday. From Wednesday on I can take 2 days and go anywhere within reason. I'm looking to spend the night somewhere Wed night. Head up somewhere early Wed morning ride all day, sleep, then ride all day Thursday and head home and end of day. Any ideas for both a day trip tomorrow (Monday) and a 2 day trip for Wed and Thu? Don't really wanna drive more than 3 or 3.5 hours for a 2 day trip. Sled will be in the back of my truck. So I gotta be able to unload and load. Maybe Norway area for a day trip tomorrow. Any 2 day trips that you recommend with lodging please let me know. Thanks!
LobKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

As good as the trails were Canton/Dixfeild yesterday...they will go away fast with this high sun...if we dont get more snow soon. You could see signs of spring in spots.

Im not surprised Carrabasset was great. Great clubs there.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 1200x, 2011 Renegade 1200
Previous Sled(s): Yamaha phazer, Apex Rtx, 600etec
Favorite Riding Area: MRV, NEK, Newry
14-15 Mileage: 2601
13-14 Mileage: 2932
Riding Since: 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobKing View Post
Always gotta help out your fellow riders. Especially your friends. As much is sucks.

Superair, was supposed to go to Newport on Saturday and today, but had to go out on the boat. Always works that way.

My trailer busted a leaf spring, so it's out of commission for the rest of the season. I could fix it but I can put my sled in my truck easier than trailer with the snowbank I made. Just gotta make sure wherever I go riding I can unload and load it back up. Someone said about 20 min past Norway lake there is plenty of snow banks to unload. I would like to ride somewhere that is groomed and taken care of regularly. I know it's probably longer than a 2 hour drive from South Portland. Jackman sounds good. So does Millinocket. I can make a day trip tomorrow. (Monday). Have to go back on boat Tuesday. From Wednesday on I can take 2 days and go anywhere within reason. I'm looking to spend the night somewhere Wed night. Head up somewhere early Wed morning ride all day, sleep, then ride all day Thursday and head home and end of day. Any ideas for both a day trip tomorrow (Monday) and a 2 day trip for Wed and Thu? Don't really wanna drive more than 3 or 3.5 hours for a 2 day trip. Sled will be in the back of my truck. So I gotta be able to unload and load. Maybe Norway area for a day trip tomorrow. Any 2 day trips that you recommend with lodging please let me know. Thanks!
Still a ton of snow up in Evans Notch and the surrounding area near nh. Stop signs are still half burried. Saturday Rode Bethel to Gilead through Evans Notch down to AJ's usual way back to Bethel was closed and you had to go through West Bethel which was interesting. Really bumpy around AJs in Stoneham but mostly everything else was exceptional.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170318_122139_resized.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	1837330  

Last edited by Exskier; 03-20-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Exskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I got back from Jackman about an hour ago. Got up this morning and cleaned out the cabin then headed up towards the border. Poked around a bit off trail then came back. Plenty of snow in the woods. Little bumpy today in spots but otherwise not bad. Snow getting real thin around town and parking lots/plowed roads down to mud. Couple miles out and it's a totally different story but when we left Jackman at 2pm it was 45 with a high strong sun.

If you're going to ride, go soon. At 8am this morning the ice from yesterday's ride was already melting off my sled parked outside.

LobKing I would say Milli if you're going overnight. More route options than anywhere else if you run into issues. Jackman will be ok this week too tho if it stays cool at night and they groom. Might be a little scratchy out of town for the first few miles but Traffic should be low. Stay at Bishops Motel if you go that way. We made it back to York in 3.5 hours and we weren't pushing it, so 3 hours from Portland should be accurate. Same with Miilii time wise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement