Hardcore Sledder banner

It happened to us

11K views 47 replies 30 participants last post by  too slow 
#1 ·
I've posted many times about being smart with your stuff in Quebec. Well 2 of our 3 rigs are gone. Personal affects were taken. Laptop, iPads. Mechanical issues sent one of our guys home early. We he arrived he found the chalet owner was having the front door of our rented chalet replaced. They knew for a full day and did not call us.

Once we leave Quebec this time Quebec we won't bring any of our money back.

#2 ·
Feel Bad , But it worse when they steal Truck Trailer and Sleds , Thats why we don't go back and the Wonderful Police are are a real Help. Not !!!!! Keep Your Hard Earned Dollars here in Good Old USA there are plenty of Business owners here that would love to have your hard earned money.

#3 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear it, but I,m not surprised. And your right, the Quebec cops don,t care if you don,t have Quebec plates. I tried to warn people in other threads. Maybe more will take heed now, after seeing this. I hate thieves. Unfortunately, things like cell phones make this stuff much easier for thieves. If you got to go to Quebec, make sure your insurance will cover you while your there, and be well insured, to lessen the pain. Chances of the cops finding your stuff will be next to nil, if they even bother to look. Maybe you could let everyone know where you were staying, as I would think that they should of been keeping an eye on your stuff as well.I know they cann,t be watching 24/7, but ? It kinda makes you wonder who allis tied into these thefts.

#7 ·
That sucks ActionJack, we only leave our trucks in a locked corral while we are bagging. No issues for the 7 years we have been going in fact just got back monday from a 8 day trip. Two more trips planned this year but again will only leave trucks in locked corral.

#8 ·
One of my protection measures is to rent a watched private Chalet and be very discreet with the details of our travel plans. Last year the Chalet we rented was directly across the street from our local contact. I rented the same house this year but after I sent the contract the owner informed me that I had to take another chalet not far away but not in the direct view of the local. The chalet is very near Auberge du Vieux Moulin. South of La Glaciere.

#10 ·
Sorry to hear that actionjack..but I had a trailer with 2 new sleds taken right off my driveway at 9 am..Yep the cops didnt care..Neither did I it was April and they were replacement value.You guys from the states are not the only ones.Its all sledders that ride in Quebec..It takes money to ride..So makes sense to target riders.. Jack

#11 ·
We were out saddlebagging. 1 truck (trailer was unhitched and locked). Another truck with 4 place enclosed trailer. That truck was 1 month old. Thieves busted in the door of the chalet and took everyone's bags that were left. I'll be posting on youtube the police's reaction to the question of retrieval. Stuff can be stolen anywhere but this sure sours my love for riding Quebec. Also this was the 2nd year in a row that i was unimpressed with the grooming especially considering how much snow is here. It was a record trip for cold and problems and the theft was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

#43 ·
Jack, sorry to hear about the theft. Was it my old trailer? You really need to try the northern most county in Maine (Aroostock) There grooming is the best anywhere. We gave Quebec a try after Christmas this year and it didn't compare to Maine. We were in Maine after MLK weekend and never saw a bump all week. Even when they have less snow, they groom every night and every little town has a groomer. We were booked to go this coming week, but decided to do a saddlebag trip in the UP of Michigan.

#18 ·
MO VALLEEEN is beautiful. I keep missing it due to issues. The boys still want to ride QC. If so we will be well armed. We managed to find a local to drop us at the border where a friend will pick us up with a truck. Rental options were quite punitive and we avoided that.

#17 ·
Can't speak of things getting stolen in Quebec but I here of a lot of stolen quads/bikes/sleds coming into Ontario from there. Stuff that isn't easly traceable

#20 · (Edited)
I'm very sad to read that this happened to you actionjack :shocked: I totally understand how you actually feel and would be even more hungry than you if it happened to me, that really suck :wall:

You all know that I personnally live in the south of Lanaudiere in QC and it have been a very long time that I don't heard about this kind of theft. In the late 90 when stealing have been a problem, it have been taken care by a series of security measures taken even by the accommodations owners and by the sledders themselves and it worked well and stopped this bad wave. No doubt this recent event have to be a wake up call for us sleeders and for hosting places to double our vigilance and raise the security level.

Even we don't like to ear it theft is a curse that happened everywhere, even in the US. I have a friend that had his car stolen on a trip there 2 years ago (new-hampshire in a small village). My sister in law and her group have been totally robbed this fall at the beginnng of their 3 weeks trip in Europe when they stopped for a lunch (it was in Italia) and their rent car have been pillage. They loose everything except their passport that they had fortunately kept on them.

So, to try to avoid those bad events, anywhere you may travelled, take precautions and if you were taking some, raise the level and take even more: Ignition bypass, denver shoes, enclosed parkings... Personnaly, I really consider a denver shoe for the trailer (can be even use on a car). I seen a plan from a local guy a couple years ago that build one and use a special mag nut enclosed inside a tube in place of a padlock which was brillant design and very bogging for a thief...

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss actionjack and hope you will have a quick settlement with your insurance company... Being local, if you think i can help you in some way, let me a PM...

Alain

#25 · (Edited)
We were not in a big city. We rented a private chalet close to, but off the beaten path. Indicators are that it is organized crime that containers vehicles to be sold in lawless areas on other continents. IMO my cousin's very new Super Duty was too much to pass up and we were followed or they were tipped off by someone. After many years of posting and preaching about vehicle theft we were too cavalier about security. Look at the Mt Laurier theft that was a video monitored situation. Trucks get still stolen from the "secure" places too, even those with gates - believe it. We're still going back we're just gonna redouble our precautions and I won't leave my laptop anymore. It's been a pain in the ass and wallet but we'll get passed it.

Read the tips take the precautions understand your insurance and have a backup plan for leaving Canada without your trucks. Rental options were quite difficult considering we needed to get back to Maryland.

We won't be staying with the same rental since they did not even bother to call us to tell us it happened. We only found out since one of our guys was trailered back to the chalet early with his sled and found the door of the chalet being replaced. That trust cannot be rebuilt. Oh and none of the owners items in the chalet were bothered including the easily unlocked basement area with ATVs, tools, and sleds.

#29 ·
We were not in a big city. We rented a private chalet close to, but off the beaten path. Indicators are that it is organized crime that containers vehicles to be sold in lawless areas on other continents. IMO my cousin's very new Super Duty was too much to pass up and we were followed or they were tipped off by someone. After many years of posting and preaching about vehicle theft we were too cavalier about security. Look at the Mt Laurier theft that was a video monitored situation. Trucks get still stolen from the "secure" places too, even those with gates - believe it. We're still going back we're just gonna redouble our precautions and I won't leave my laptop anymore. It's been a pain in the ass and wallet but we'll get passed it.

Read the tips take the precautions understand your insurance and have a backup plan for leaving Canada without your trucks. Rental options were quite difficult considering we needed to get back to Maryland.

We won't be staying with the same rental since they did not even bother to call us to tell us it happened. We only found out since one of our guys was trailered back to the chalet early with his sled and found the door of the chalet being replaced. That trust cannot be rebuilt. Oh and none of the owners items in the chalet were bothered including the easily unlocked basement area with ATVs, tools, and sleds.

uggg thata heart breaking i feal for you
well your welcome anytime to leave your rig at my place in fort kent me and ride in from there its a awesome ride anyway

#27 ·
And they have gun laws.... Maybe they need to allow some guns into the country via the US visitors. If those people knew it was legal to pack I'd bet they'd think twice about these easy thefts.

Not saying it's the right way to go of course, having to pack to protect your assets but, it would make people think twice about stealing your stuff for sure. Organized crime I'm sure is packing too anyway. And we know based on past experiences that the law enforcement is in bed with them. Otherwise they would be better results getting things back.

Steve who goes to Ontario

#28 ·
We had our truck and trailer stolen from the comfort inn at Mt. Laurier.....video camera, security guard and patrols thru the parking lot by local police....thiefs were very bold and took the truck and trailer 15 min. after the cop had gone thru the parking lot....all caught on camera. We won't ever be going back there again! And hubby has already made plans to put several different security features in place on any truck we get next (yeah, going thru hoops with insurance company, not fun at all!) And no matter how much insurance you have, you never get back the value of what was stolen! It does leave you with a feeling of invasion(?, not sure that's the word I'm looking for) when your stuff is ripped off! We had our shop broke into about 15 years back, they stole our son's car that he was fixing up, tools, a camera....a bottle of Crown Royal and one pepsi .....we did get the car back and a cordless drill that was in the back seat...but again....not the value of the rest of the tools that were stolen or the camera....nor the fact that they had walloped our dog on the head and left a large lump on his head. The plus side....our Shepherd became much more aggressive when strangers drove in at night

#34 ·
Really?! Man that area has always been known as a place where stuff gets stolen (St Zenon).

The town intself is small but there's some sketchy ppl around there from talking to locals: Hells Angels is definitely a presence.

I didnt even think Glaciere had a secure pen?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.