running roads - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Ontario This is a Provincial discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2006 Renegade MXZ X 800 HO
Previous Sled(s): 2005 F6, 2003 MXZ 800
Default running roads

Hi,

Having just got my sled I can't wait to get out on the trail. It starts around 1 km from my house.

I would have to go up my street 200m, down to an intersection 250m - turn left and run the shoulder for around 550 m.

No real ditches as I have to cross the railroad tracks and the ditch is really creeky/steep and wet. Having not ridden in a while i don't want to get stuck in the powder like an idiot as I ditch bang, plus I'm always wary of damaging A-Arms / suspension with hidden pipes etc.

Of course my worry is pissing off neighbors or having a cop give me grief. My other buddy on the other side of the community does this with no issues - what's the normal procedure? Trailering seems mental....

thx
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: North of New Liskard

Just Giver. I probably have a longer run to the trails if Georgian bay is not frozen. Cops wont say nothing if your doing the speed limit.
05 JOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 JOKER View Post
Just Giver. I probably have a longer run to the trails if Georgian bay is not frozen. Cops wont say nothing if your doing the speed limit.
remember the speed limit is 20km/h on any road posted 60km/h or less
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Are you in Stittsville near Westridge drive? The ottawa police have recieved a number of complaints in that area and have zero tolerance for snowmobiles on the road and it is the opinion of ottawa police that snowmobiles are not allowed to operate on a roadway. Don't bother arguing we have tried to no end. This is thier opinion and they are entitled to it regardless if we as the local club feel the MSVA does not specify this and infact makes provisions for the use of snowmobiles on the roads
skidoorules_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2006 Renegade MXZ X 800 HO
Previous Sled(s): 2005 F6, 2003 MXZ 800

I'm actually in Barrhaven at the very end of the BEAST where it hits Cedarview/Strandherd. I ran the road (strandherd) last night and stayed on the shoulder - i'm thinking of making a trail in the field behind my place cross the street - make trail - cross street - make trail - cross street to trail. If i have a bunch of perpendicular crossings it avoids most of the road. I'm just not the most comfortable making my own trail in the field.

Based on what I read we can run shoulder / ditch between road / fenceline. Problem is railroad tracks make me have to get up to road.

thanks.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 12 600 Adventure
Previous Sled(s): Lots of 600 Poo's
Favorite Riding Area: Out of the garage
Riding Since: 1980

Wait till after this melt and making your own trail will be easy as the snow base will be rock hard.

Drive slow and the cops will leave you alone.. the neighbours.. that is another story.. drove my daughter on the sled around the neighbourhood on holidays for her first ever ride.. 100% snow coverage, both helmeted, extremely snow.. cops were at my place within an hour.. sitting on the street.. but they let me sled by though.. alone on the sled this time.. fawking whining neighbours somewhere.. should fine them for wasting police time.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 Renegade 600

^^ Same thing happened to me when we got the first dump, I live in a more "mature" area and an older man drove from one street over to give me shit.

He said he was calling the cops, I told him to do it and stop wasting my time.

Nothing better to do than be crusty about life.
RandomHer0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 800 pro r SB
Previous Sled(s): Doo's etec
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec
11-12 Mileage: 3000
10-11 Mileage: 2500
Riding Since: 18

Female Ottawa Cop pulled me over for riding thru the neighborhood with my sled to get to the trails...she said that they have had complaints of people on there sleds on the street..she then says I sled too and I am "going that way and won't be back around here for 10 mins i hope you will be gone'' smiled and said yes mam,,and took off to the trails!) cool copper
ProRMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 MXZ Sport 600
Previous Sled(s): 1997 Formula 500, 1987 Polaris Indy Trail, 1974 Motoski 440
Favorite Riding Area: Near North Ontario
Riding Since: 1997

Wow, that's brutal guys. Where I am from sleds on the road is a way of life in the winter, heck, some of our OFSC trails have long road runs. Never realized it was such a big deal else where. Will never take that for granted again.
WillageD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Biggest thing to remember on ANY road, use your brain not your thumb !!
Advertisement