Ice in Midalnd - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Ontario This is a Provincial discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Looking to come out from Honey Harbour, and over to Midalnd on the lake. I have heard some very mixed reviews including the ice breaker was through a couple of weeks ago. What are the conditions like now? Has the bay stiffened up, or is it totally unsafe??? Thanks for any info.
scaryfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I'm with the Baxter snowriders from HH/Port Severn and we have not deamed the ice safe and thats shoreline prettymuch lots of slush still however the warm up and flash freeze could change that. Anyone traveling the ice use extreme caution the thickness isn't consistent at this time. The trail is marked from Roberts Island to Beausolei but that is maintained by Parks Canada wardens . I personally won't be venturing out their until we have at least a week of consistent -10 day and nights , I love that short cut just as much as the rest of you but I'm waiting for more of a cold snap. I also have heard that the stake line from Penetang won't be going in this year do to the incident with a pickup truck getting stuck out their last year. (Thats hear say!) Don't quote me. Usually mid february the ice trail is golden theirs been to many accidents out their already this year and a gentleman from honey harbour nearly lost his life, conditions can get scary out their quick if you don't know don't go. And that statement also goes to the locals.

Hope this helps you stay safe!
Yukon
Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

its all good, ran it sunday and monday. middle is better then sides not as slushy. we went from the basin/ jug city on champlaine road to the south end of beauseleil then from there went out by gin rocks towards parry sound cut across into sawlog bay to my cottage. went out to sawlog point, out past that to giants tomb is rough, lots of little broken chunks of ice.
Penetang Bay was very slushy same with honey harbour area then it froze monday with less sled action and made for some bumpy riding. Would have gone pack to slush today but gunna freeze again with this flash freezing if the snow doesnt cover it up too much.
I would say its officially winter with the lake frozen. we talked to some guys that ran the outside of the islands up towards parry sound, said it was safer with it being black ice on outside and white ice and slushy in the islands.

Oh and treasure bay puddle is pretty big right now.

snowdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

We were at the Jug City on Saturday on Champlain rd. The local guys told us that going back into penatnag was ok which we ran, it was fine. TOLD US TO STAY OF TRAIL GOING TO MIDLAND AS IT WAS VERY SLUSHY WITH SOME THIN SPOTS.

When we were in Midland were you come off the lake from HH, we sat there for about 30 mins, and not 1 out of maybe 100 sleds ventured on that trail.

I don't know about you, but I don't like being a guinee pig.
mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

i saw you. you were on the trail going towards awenda park, you were on the part after you get through a bunch of trees then come to a sign by the road make a right cross the road and in that field with all the little pines.

must say your sled is pretty sharp and shiney. you were riding with about 3 or 4 other guys.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I don't like being a guinee pig.[/b]
Thats why you won't be a statistic.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
i saw you. you were on the trail going towards awenda park, you were on the part after you get through a bunch of trees then come to a sign by the road make a right cross the road and in that field with all the little pines.

must say your sled is pretty sharp and shiney. you were riding with about 3 or 4 other guys.[/b]
Yep that was me, Yes it is pretty sharp and shiny, I am very happy with the way it turned out. I got an offer from a cottager when we were at the Jug City, he said the same thing that it one of cleanest sleds he has seen.

Next time wave me down and introduce yourself.

Are up there often or do you live there, We have been up there twice this year. It's a good run from Barrie for a day out. We usually run down the rail bed from Elmvale into Penetang, go for lunch at the Dock Lunch and then shoot through Midland and hook back up to the Railbed.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

yea i have a cottage on champlain road. Have been on the trails alot this year, i probably saw you the other time too. Yea i rode that rail line saturday when they had the trail side bbq. then got stopped by some old weiner for going threw a stop sign by where that other trail connects that goes to midland and boston pizza.
i ride with my dad, he has a 1997 indy touring, will be pretty noticable now, hit a tree and has a big hole on his hood.

i attached the best pics i have to identify me and my ride, pics may be blury, they're from a vid.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

You mean the BBQ where the groomer was just sitting there as the trails were getting worse and worse.

Yeah we went trough there about 3:00 or so, had to pull my headlight cover off, he said he couldn't see me coming. I asked him if he thought I was just a black cloud wearing a red coat and chrome helmet, he didn't find my sarcasism funny.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

was it that shorter round old guy, i thought it was a old granny before he started talking. Dad said he only went after me cause im a kid, i wanted to fly by him when we came back but he wasnt there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement