Another accident. Ice not safe around Midland Harbour - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Ontario This is a Provincial discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Red face

For those of you sledders that like to run the ice From Penetang and Midland I would highly recomend staying off during this warm spell. A Honey Harbor man is in critical condition. Here's the News story . The ice breaker went through last week and has left a pressure ridge, not to mention their are a hell of alot of pressure cracks out their and not in your typical spots. The tree line has gone in for midland and the Parks rangers have staked from Roberts Island to Beausolei Island from Honey Harbor they require minimum 30cm for them to use ice trail but I wouldn't deem the ice safe enough out towards Penetang or midland yet ice breaker made it unsafe . The people out that way riding are in the Nutbar club if you ask me. Please be patient fellas the season is just starting it's not worth your life for a half day of thrill riding. With the warm temps we'll probably only lose about 2cm of ice , the snow on top will only melt and reform as ice and make for more thickness.

Play safe!
Yukon
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
For those of you sledders that like to run the ice From Penetang and Midland I would highly recomend staying off during this warm spell. A Honey Harbor man is in critical condition. Here's the News story . The ice breaker went through last week and has left a pressure ridge, not to mention their are a hell of alot of pressure cracks out their and not in your typical spots. The tree line has gone in for midland and the Parks rangers have staked from Roberts Island to Beausolei Island from Honey Harbor they require minimum 30cm for them to use ice trail but I wouldn't deem the ice safe enough out towards Penetang or midland yet ice breaker made it unsafe . The people out that way riding are in the Nutbar club if you ask me. Please be patient fellas the season is just starting it's not worth your life for a half day of thrill riding. With the warm temps we'll probably only lose about 2cm of ice , the snow on top will only melt and reform as ice and make for more thickness.

Play safe!
Yukon[/b]

Yes be patient. Just becasue everyone lost our land trail into Midland, and must take the ice to get there, don't...... Tay township can pound salt........ Sorry Yukon, not trying to highjack your thread but this pisses me off to know end.
steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

It's all good "Stealhead" welcome to the forum.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

the problem there really isnt the ice breaker path, its these guys that are going out at night, going so fast that they out run their headlights and dont see the break up and pressure cracks till its to late. i went out there saturday and sunday from penetang bay to the south end of beauseleil and it was fine, you can easily cruise over the frozen chunks of ice and the pressure cracks are small.

snowdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

which story is it, is it the one where buddy got stuck out at gin islands and was screaming for help while freezing cold from being in the water? or is it the one a guy hit some ice and was injured and the other guy behind him had to get help or something like that? or is it the one that a guy was found floating on a piece of ice near midland bay after going in the water?

Old 01-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

The guy hit a pressure crack caused by the Ice breaker and buddy went for help. Let me guess your on dial-up?
Be careful running from Penetang to Beausolei island that ice is not that thick and the water depth is at points 150ft deep and it's always the last to form and first to open up in the shipping channel, and if you think speed will get you to safety! , it sounds like the same scenario as what happened to the Accident victim speed was a factor and hit the pressure ridge.

Heed my warning and play safe!
Yukon
Old 01-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

i was saying speed was the problem, he was probably out running his headlight and had no time to react. i dont have dial up but i saw the report on tv on A channel.
And that water isnt last to form, have you seen out at giants tomb, i have a cottage in sawlog bay and its still unfrozen.
sorry if it sounds like im bitching at you, im not, im just a bit pissed off, i know the ice is no longer safe but it was good saturday, i wont be out there till later this month till its all good.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

No offence taken "Snowdriven" and yes I'm very familiar with the Tomb ,Beckwith,Christian islands which are up in the north part of the shipping channel,I have not gotten to because of being locked into the harbor, Trails/not open and ice not safe and I've seen it from the lighthouse . The area which you were speaking of if I'm correct which you said you've crossed was the Penetang Trail from Dock Lunch to beausolei. That is the area I'm concerned about and what I'm telling you is the last area to form as far as where the ice trails are marked and staked. Its usually the last one to be staked simply because of it being the last spot in the penetang/midland bays.

I just want everyone to be safe, my cottage is in Honey harbor and that is where alot of the emergency calls come to I'm right beside the marina where the incidents get brought too , I hear and see alot of scary stuff.

Anytime you'd like do some ice rippin let me know we could always meet up at Treasure bay to play in the puddle.

Yukon
Old 01-07-2008, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: NW of Sudbury
12-13 Mileage: 2889

It was an XCR 800

I thought he died???

FreezerBurnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yukon.What charts do use? 150feet.Don't think so.Maybe a couple of spots west of the Tomb. But really thats not the point. Doesn't matter how deep it is.The bay has a risk factor,like driving to work with a bunch of morons. You make decesions on fast you can go or where you can go based on what you know. Maybe those who don't know should stay home.So my answer to this topic is DRIVERS NOT SAFE AROUND MIDLAND HARBOUR. The ice breaker is been coming and going there for a very long time and I can't remember when there hasn't been some kinda pressure ridge out there.
gtserider08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement