Rolphton to Stonecliffe - Page 2 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Ontario This is a Provincial discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 17 Sidewinder LTX-SE, 12 f1100lxr
Previous Sled(s): 12 F 1100 SP Turbo06 cf 700 SP, 05 F7sp, 08 f1000, 07 cf1000
Favorite Riding Area: Norther Ontario/ Quebec
16-17 Mileage: 800
15-16 Mileage: 1800
14-15 Mileage: 2200
13-14 Mileage: 2500
Riding Since: 1969

Not that simple. The reason the trails were red up to Friday was they had wash outs and Friday night they filled them in. They went yellow Saturday morning. So they were accurate as I checked. You could see the work they had done to get them back up and running. I take my hat off to them. I always try to call one of the local gas stations in Stonecliffe or Rolphton to see if the groomer has been through. When I called Friday night they had been through. I noticed it went yellow or green late Friday night and Saturday morning. I don't know if you could do better than that.

Jester

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

So, as an example, if you were trying to decide to run some trails on Saturday, and you checked the OFSC guide Friday night @ 8 pm and the trails you wanted to run were marked red, would you, or would you not go ?
With to-days technology available, why cann,t the trails be updated at least by every evening at a certain time, so sledders that what to play be the rules have some idea IF we could legally be on the trails, or not.
Kinda pisses sledders off when the trails are marked red, and then a day later we find out lots of other sledders were on those same trails, raving about how great the trails were.
Are we suppose to just ignore what OFSC says, and find out for ourselves whether the trails are good, or not ?
What good is the guide, IF it isn,t kept up to date, except to be used as an out for insurance reasons, in case something happens on the trails ?
In one instance, I was told be a local trail boss that if the trails are identified as red, we shouldn,t be on them.
Two weeks later, I was asked by the same trail boss why we drove our trucks to the clubhouse for breakfast, instead of our sleds. My not to polite answer was, because the fooking trails are red, on the OFSC trail guide.
Kinda hard to play by the rules, when the guide is so far out of date.
Again, with to-days tech available, it really needs to be kept up to date much better than it has been in the past. Updating the trail guide twice a week is about 5 days to short.
At minimum, during the sledding season, it needs to be updated daily, by a certain time each evening, so sledders can decide IF they want to play by the rules, or not.

Last edited by Frozenstiff; 03-13-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Frozenstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
kcc
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2016 Vector XTX
16-17 Mileage: 3500
15-16 Mileage: 2300
14-15 Mileage: 2500
13-14 Mileage: 4200
Riding Since: 2002

It's the clubs that provide the trail status conditions to the district office for updating to the OFSC interactive map, clubs must report at least twice a week or more. If trails are red or limited, it is usually for a reason.

Just because they were in great shape the weekend, does not mean there were not hazards on the trails earlier on in the week. Our volunteers were out on the trails early last week working to reopen our trails. Our club decided to close trails as we had rain, freezing rain, mild weather, heavy winds. Trails had washouts, downed trees, plus it turned mild, groomer was not able to groom. By Thursday, trees has been removed, groomer was back on the trails and washouts were repaired. Trails were reopened limited on OFSC interactive map on Thursday morning.
kcc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Nice to see your response.
I realize it,s the clubs that provide the trail status to the district office for the updating. The problem is, the trail status needs to be updated on a daily basis during the sledding season, basically by a certain time each evening, IF we are going to place any credibility in the OFSC trail condition map. Twice a week doesn,t cut it.
Do you ride on trails that are designated red on the OFSC website ?
As sledders, are we to obide by those designations, or should we just ride the trails til they are bare ? I,ve tried calling the local motels etc. Different clerks give you different responses, 10 minutes apart. Most of them don,t have a clue about trail conditions, or if the trails are designated red, yellow, or green.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
kcc
Super Advanced Member

In our club, I personally call each of our local supporters & motels anytime there is a change to our club's trail status. Plus I send out emails to our permit buyers so they have any trail status change. Plus we post on our website & facebook page when the trails status change. Clubs can report everyday if they want too, twice a week is mandatory!

Yes I have ridden our club closed trails to check trails, remove trees, rocks, repair washout & out in the groomer as well. So if you have some spare time why not volunteer for your local club. Volunteers are the back bone of our clubs. Some clubs really need new volunteers to step up and help out, even if you can only spare a few hours a season.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thanks, that,s a great idea about having a local website which keeps local trail status up to date.
I guess, basically, the point I was trying to get across was that the OFSC trail condition site does not stay current enough on a daily basis to be useful for anyone trying to plan a trip. If it was updated at least once a day by a certain time, sledders would have a much better idea of current trail conditions. in the area they are interested in riding in.
A group of us tried to volunteer with our club many years ago, but the existing clique of guys in that group was to strong, and they would not listen to any new ideas from outsiders. So we decided we would have more fun riding. LOL
Now they are aging out, and my best guess is without new volunteers, the club will die out in a few more short years, like many already have.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
kcc
Super Advanced Member

Before I become involved with our club, it was lacking volunteers and the executive were getting tired. We were fortunate to have volunteer step up and become our president, he has done a great job. We have a wonderful group of volunteers, about 20 volunteers who are there when you need them, plus about another 15 volunteers who help out when they can. On our work days, we have a BBQ after and have a few volunteers social events as well during the year. All I can say is that I have made a lot of great friends from volunteering. Sometime you just have to keep showing up at club meetings before things change. I attended club meetings for 3 years before I finally got a call to volunteer.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2007 Apex Attak GT
Favorite Riding Area: Manotick to Mattawa and..
Riding Since: 1979

In a "normal" (remember those??) season, once a week is a reasonable update. Yellow and green are subjective. Red is not.
Lately, when it's on again, off again, it needs to be more current.
Failure in this area will result in a wide-spread disregard for the "guide". It's not about blame, or manpower.
If a trail is closed, and there is no 3 dimensional information on the ground, expect that trail to be used as well. If a road stop sign exists somewhere on the internet, and I don't USE the internet from my car, and there's no stop sign at the intersection, I can't be expected to know if I need to stop.
I've looped off the main trunk trails onto well travelled club trails, often following a group of strangers, only to find out later they were red on the ITG. No closed sign on either end. If they're going to be legally closed, and I can be held liable for travelling on them, the onus is on the management to have some sort of notification.
I really hope this gets resolved before the lawyers do it for us.
manotickmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Very well said Mike. As it is now, it is a clusterf@ck of mixed information.
The OFSC is very good at trying to cover its butt.
Hopefully, this never comes back to bite them.
Again, with the ease of information transfer in this day and age, the trail availability needs to be updated on a daily basis.
We have actually been on trails that were open in one direction, and closed signs were up when we returned on the same trails on the way home that evening.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 12 600 Adventure
Previous Sled(s): Lots of 600 Poo's
Favorite Riding Area: Out of the garage
Riding Since: 1980

The OFSC and "management" is 99% volunteers. This is not a billion $ government corp with 3 heads for every task. A volunteer system is going to have the above issues.... no way around it when... get what you pay for sometimes, and the current OFSC volunteer labour rate is 0. Lets not forget that.

largedaryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement