New laws in NB! - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

New Brunswick This is a Provincial discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Default Off Road Vehicle Act

I was a little concerned by the changes in the act and especially with comments how people are upset over the supposed changes in the act. I decided to call the ORVE to get their take on these changes. Before I did, I made some of my own observations in looking at last year’s act and this year’s act. If you take the time and compare the two, there are some changes, but after talking with the ORVE and going over these changes, they had similar concerns that you are having and my take from our conversations, is they are going to show a lot of discretion. The explanations below are rather lengthy, but worded as best I could.

Last Year’s act
(1)Subject to subsection (2), no person shall operate a motorized snow vehicle on a motorized snow vehicle managed trail unless
(a)a motorized snow vehicle trail permit that is a decal is permanently attached to and conspicuously displayed on the motorized snow vehicle, or
This Year’s act
(1)Subject to subsection (2), no person shall operate a motorized snow vehicle on a motorized snow vehicle managed trail unless
(a)a motorized snow vehicle trail permit that is a decal is permanently attached to and conspicuously displayed
(i)if the motorized snow vehicle has a windshield, approximately centre at the bottom of the windshield; and
(ii)if the motorized snow vehicle does not have a windshield, on the left side of the front of the cowling of the vehicle

The second item is the license plate location. They don’t agree with the location either and will tolerate seeing the license mounted in visible view, but not hidden or in the saddle bag.
We discussed the tunnel location and they said that was tolerable.
Last Year’s act

3(1)No owner of an off-road vehicle shall drive it or permit it to be driven unless
(a)the vehicle is registered in the owner’s name under subsection (2) and the registration is not suspended under this Act,
(b)a valid clearly visible number plate or decal issued under paragraph (3)(a) is securely mounted in a conspicuous position on the rear of the vehicle,
This Year’s act
3(1)No owner of an off-road vehicle shall drive it or permit it to be driven unless
(a)the vehicle is registered in the owner’s name under subsection (2) and the registration is not suspended under this Act,
(b)a valid clearly visible number plate or decal issued under paragraph (3)(a) is securely mounted in a conspicuous position
(i)if the vehicle is a motorized snow vehicle, on the snow flaps of the vehicle

The third item I discussed with them is these lights and we both agreed that it was a bit ambiguous, especially when it came to signal lights. It seems more for these side by side off road vehicles. We both agreed that there should be more clarification with the distinctions being made with snow equipment and all terrain equipment. So the same tolerance will be given the rider as in the above.
Last Year’s act

(2)An off-road vehicle is required to have at least
(a)one white head lamp mounted on the front of the vehicle,
(b)one red tail lamp mounted on the rear of the vehicle, and
(c)one amber side lamp or amber reflector, or reflectorized material of at least one hundred square centimetres in area, mounted on each side of the vehicle.
This Year’s act
22(2)An off-road vehicle is required to have at least
(a)one white head lamp mounted on the front of the vehicle,
(b)one red tail lamp mounted on the rear of the vehicle,
(b.1)one red stop lamp mounted on the rear of the vehicle,
(b.2)one rear-view mirror mounted on the left side of the vehicle, and
(b.3)turn signal lights located at the rear of the vehicle, if the vehicle was equipped with turn signal lights at the time it was manufactured, and
(c)one amber side lamp or amber reflector, or reflectorized material of at least one hundred square centimetres in area, mounted on each side of the vehicle.

Fourthly the exhaust: In our discussion we both agreed that the law did not change much. They made
it known to me that you will not be stopped for this; however, if someone with these types of exhaust have knowingly disturbed a local population by reving their machines in he middle of the night, then they will have no option but to follow up on the complaint
Last Year’s act
23No person shall drive an off-road vehicle if
(a)it is not equipped with a muffler and exhaust system in continuous operation and in good working order,
(b)it is equipped with a muffler cut-out or by-pass, or a similar device, or
(c)it is causing excessive or unusual noise
This Year’s act

23No person shall drive an off-road vehicle if
(a)it is not equipped with a muffler and exhaust system in continuous operation and in good working order that comply with the manufacturer’s original specifications or, if the muffler or exhaust system was replaced, that complies with the equivalent manufacturer’s specifications of the replacement muffler or exhaust system,
(b)it is equipped with a muffler cut-out or by-pass, or a similar device, or
(c)it is causing excessive or unusual noise.
So after all the whoop-la I don’t think there is much reason for great concern. The officer I spoke with told me that there group had great discussions over these changes and again reassured me that all will show great discretion on the laws. BUT don’t put them in a situation where they have to fine you. My take. Thanks for your reading this.
The Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 1998 SRX 700
Previous Sled(s): 2001 SRX 700
13-14 Mileage: Not enough

Well I realize that there's a need for rules but I would think time and energy could be better spent elsewhere.There still seems to be an abnormal amount of free riders out there and ATVs on designated sled trails.I know that enforcement can't be everywhere at once and the likelihood that this year will be any different than last in terms of catching the ones that don't pay their fair share will be slim.

The guys that do buy their trail pass,insurance and registration and try to do it right just seem to be more and more targeted.

I mount my trail pass on the dash of my sled and have never had an flak over it at any check.Mirrors I do see as a benefit,I bought a set for my Powermadd handguards over the summer with the intentions of mounting them in my preseason routine.The plate thing,I refuse to put it on my snowflap,I've lost too many already and wont be drilling any more holes in the tunnel to mount it unless I absolutely have too.I always carry it with me most generally in my trunk bag.I have been asked about it and once I show it it seems to placate them although they have grumbled about it not being mounted.

The stock exhaust thing I see as being a huge deal this year if they insist on enforcing this law without question.I despise loud obnoxious exhaust cans as much as the next guy but there are some aftermarket ones that are pretty quiet,maybe not as much as the stocker but hopefully there'll be some common sense used there,on both sides.

President CLUB #74
fourbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #23 (permalink)
zeg
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 Indy and 2005 IQR 440 moded to 600ho
Previous Sled(s): 1989 sport 340/1992 indy440/1998 storm/1996 xlt/2001 xcr800/
Favorite Riding Area: my camp /near Bathurst NB
13-14 Mileage: 814 miles
12-13 Mileage: 2015
Riding Since: 1990

I put a sled wrap form articfx on both of my sleds. These aren't cheep ... not impressed. The mirrors is a other thing I never see jack shit in them as I usually ride up on my sled. i just turn my head if i want to look behind me. These pen pushers are really annoying me

Is the off road vehicle the same as a motorized snowmobile ? The act is confusing I think the section of off road vehicule is for the ATV not for the sleds.
zeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW68CAMARO View Post
here's what i think of the new rules

RW, you still have any of that exh packing? I might have to shove some in my silencers!! LOL, yeah right.
I guess if I get pulled over will have to act like I'm def and didn't know the difference!
What a bunch of useless rules. if they wanted to do something useful, haul out the ol Breathalizer on the trail!!
triple trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 MXZ 1200 X TURBO
Previous Sled(s): 2009 MXZ 1200 X
Favorite Riding Area: airstrip
12-13 Mileage: 1771 mi
11-12 Mileage: 1000
10-11 Mileage: 15
Riding Since: 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple trouble View Post
RW, you still have any of that exh packing? I might have to shove some in my silencers!! LOL, yeah right.
I guess if I get pulled over will have to act like I'm def and didn't know the difference!
What a bunch of useless rules. if they wanted to do something useful, haul out the ol Breathalizer on the trail!!

Aint that the truth more drunks on the trail than loud exhaust
Old 10-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #26 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Red turbo apex
10-11 Mileage: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
Aint that the truth more drunks on the trail than loud exhaust
Agree 100%. My sled won't look one bit different this year.
yamiguy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #27 (permalink)

12-13 Mileage: 120

you guys actually see them out there? I seen them at the Pollet River run on my quad but never on my sled.
s_shannahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #28 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 turbo retro 2012 f8 retro
Previous Sled(s): all cats
Favorite Riding Area: hardpack flat top

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple trouble View Post
hey cor how's it going? should take some of the exhaust packing and shove it down these law makers throats. I don't see them chaseing any big rigs down because of those hellish sounding jake brakes, not to mention they drive up and down the road all day and night doing it, I guess its allright to make loud noise on the highways but not back in the woods. we need to get old grocerygetter to comment on this, i'm going to give him a call and throw the switch, stand back!!!!! RW
RW68CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

thanks for the heads up Boss.My blood pressure just went back down
cattmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #30 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Now that we've had a few weeks of sledding behind us, it would be interesting to hear first hand from those who have actually been checked on the trail by the ORVE, in order to see what is being tolerated, and what isn't in terms of these new regulations! Anyone???
link is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement