Banned!!! - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Manitoba This is a Provincial discussion forum and a no bashing zone. This area is here for members who are looking for serious answers for serious questions or discussion and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website Without Warning.The calling out or posting of another members user name in the title of a thread a members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: NW of Sudbury
12-13 Mileage: 2889
Default Banned!!!

Quote:
By CBC News, cbc.ca, Updated: February-15-12 3:14 PMOff-road vehicle ban in Winnipeg gets support

It looks like snowmobilers and ATVers Winnipeg will have to find new places to ride later this year.
The executive policy committee, also known as the mayor's cabinet, voted Wednesday to ban off-road vehicles within city limits as of Nov. 1.
That's almost two years earlier than first proposed.
However, the EPC vote is only a recommendation to council, which has the final say at its monthly meeting next week.
The ban does have widespread support among councillors, though.
Some have been calling for it since January 2011, when a 51-year-old man was struck by a snowmobile and killed behind his Transcona-area house in the 100 block of Millwood Meadow.
The ban, which would govern the use of snowmobiles, ATVs, dirt bikes and any other off-road vehicles, is expected to pass.

FreezerBurnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 Nytro XTX
Previous Sled(s): MXZX 800, F7, ZR6, ZR580
12-13 Mileage: 390
Riding Since: 1990

"Within city limits" - this means if you live in the Gunn Rd/Springfield Rd area you should be legal to ride, or any other area within the perimeter that is RM juristiction and not city.

Secondly, this still won't stop a lot of people. How many people still text/talk and drive? No seatbelt? Speed? You can make a law but you can't force people to follow it, you can only hope to catch them in the act and enforce the consequences. Won't change much IMO.
Delgaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

It's okay. I hope everyone remembers that when the next major blizzard happens and they need the help of recreational snowmobilers. Oh but wait, most snowmobilers I know will be there to help anyway....that's the difference between us and them.
catdog800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: NW of Sudbury
12-13 Mileage: 2889

Texting and talking on the phone while driving your vehicle don't leave tracks in the snow though

FreezerBurnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog800 View Post
It's okay. I hope everyone remembers that when the next major blizzard happens and they need the help of recreational snowmobilers. Oh but wait, most snowmobilers I know will be there to help anyway....that's the difference between us and them.
If it happens I'll be helping them out... at 80 mph down Main St.!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezerBurnt View Post
Texting and talking on the phone while driving your vehicle don't leave tracks in the snow though
If you go through pricate property and obtain written permission there's nothing they can do. I can drive my sled up and down my 72 ft driveway all I want since it's my property. If my neighbor decides it's OK for me to ride on his lawn I can ride from across mine to his and back and it's still OK. So if you get the permission of everyone right to the limit line, you can legally do it.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: St Pierre Jolys
12-13 Mileage: 46or8to4
11-12 Mileage: eleventeen

from the sun..........

Mayor Sam Katz's Executive Policy Committee has voted to ban off-road vehicles from riding on public land within city limits by Nov. 1, 2012.
But EPC's unanimous endorsement comes as Coun. Brian Mayes (St. Vital) voiced concerns the ban remains an "issue of great concern" for off-road enthusiasts living in the southernmost areas of his ward.
Mayes told EPC Wednesday said while the majority of St. Vital residents within the perimeter are in support of the ban, it's a vastly different story beyond it, where he's heard "mostly opposition."
He asked some solution be found allowing people in the area a way to access legal provincial trails and off-road areas.
"(One) issue will be getting to the Floodway - I would like to see some provision that will continue to allow that," he said.
Mayes' comments come as administrators tackle a concurrent request the city look at developing three staging areas (essentially park and ride zones) and possible trail extensions with legal Snoman Manitoba paths outside the city.
A report is due back on this in September, said Coun. Paula Havixbeck (Charleswood-Tuxedo).
The incoming ban does not apply to private property.
A lower committee had voted to delay implementing the ban until 2014 to allow for talks to take place between the city and snowmobilers to find possible accommodations for them.
But EPC voted to amend the start date to later this year.
A public awareness campaign will be held to notify people of the ban and the possibility of $448.50 fines if caught breaking it.
A majority of council must still vote on the ban at a meeting next week.
Coun. Ross Eadie, who is not on EPC, spoke at the meeting and asked the restrictions take effect immediately.
"I think we should just get it done," he said, citing safety concerns. "Just like driving, we have people that ride snowmobiles and they're dangerous," said Eadie.
He added the concept of building staging areas doesn't make sense as people would still have t
Mayor Sam Katz's Executive Policy Committee has voted to ban off-road vehicles from riding on public land within city limits by Nov. 1, 2012.
But EPC's unanimous endorsement comes as Coun. Brian Mayes (St. Vital) voiced concerns the ban remains an "issue of great concern" for off-road enthusiasts living in the southernmost areas of his ward.
Mayes told EPC Wednesday said while the majority of St. Vital residents within the perimeter are in support of the ban, it's a vastly different story beyond it, where he's heard "mostly opposition."
He asked some solution be found allowing people in the area a way to access legal provincial trails and off-road areas.
"(One) issue will be getting to the Floodway - I would like to see some provision that will continue to allow that," he said.
Mayes' comments come as administrators tackle a concurrent request the city look at developing three staging areas (essentially park and ride zones) and possible trail extensions with legal Snoman Manitoba paths outside the city.
A report is due back on this in September, said Coun. Paula Havixbeck (Charleswood-Tuxedo).
A lower committee had voted to delay implementing the ban until 2014 to allow for talks to take place between the city and snowmobilers to find possible accommodations for them.
A public awareness campaign will be held to notify people of the ban and the possibility of $448.50 fines if caught breaking it.
Coun. Ross Eadie, who is not on EPC, spoke at the meeting and asked the restrictions take effect immediately.
"I think we should just get it done," he said, citing safety concerns. "Just like driving, we have people that ride snowmobiles and they're dangerous," said Eadie.
He added the concept of building staging areas doesn't make sense as people would still have to put their machines on trailers to get there. "If you have to trailer it to get to a staging area, then trailer it outside the city," Eadie said.
He also took issue with the thought of spending money to accommodate city-dwelling off-roaders.
"I note that this city — we can't even fix our own roads," he said. "I don't think that the city's going to be spending money on staging areas and trails," Eadie said.

o put their machines on trailers to get there. "If you have to trailer it to get to a staging area, then trailer it outside the city," Eadie said.
He also took issue with the thought of spending money to accommodate city-dwelling off-roaders.
"I note that this city — we can't even fix our own roads," he said. "I don't think that the city's going to be spending money on staging areas and trails," Eadie said.

bobh
Bobh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobh View Post
from the sun..........

He added the concept of building staging areas doesn't make sense as people would still have t
He added the concept of building staging areas doesn't make sense as people would still have to put their machines on trailers to get there. "If you have to trailer it to get to a staging area, then trailer it outside the city," Eadie said.
"I note that this city we can't even fix our own roads," he said. "I don't think that the city's going to be spending money on staging areas and trails," Eadie said.

o put their machines on trailers to get there. "If you have to trailer it to get to a staging area, then trailer it outside the city," Eadie said.
"I note that this city we can't even fix our own roads," he said. "I don't think that the city's going to be spending money on staging areas and trails," Eadie said.

bobh
That would be nice to see. But it wouldn't really cost them anything to have staging areas. Ask some business owner if people can use their parking lot.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): YAMAHA NYTRO RTX SE
Previous Sled(s): YAMAHA,ARCTIC CATS
Favorite Riding Area: East Of Anola , West Of Altona
13-14 Mileage: 3794
12-13 Mileage: 2982.1
11-12 Mileage: 3888.5
10-11 Mileage: 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgaty View Post
If it happens I'll be helping them out... at 80 mph down Main St.!

Oh fack ya... 100mph
lil_fast_yammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Police spent almost $90,000 on new sleds so now they will be enforcing this with aide of the new helicopter and issuing tickets. I think they will be purchasing side by side ATV/UTV as well because a whole lot more of those in numbers and duration months to issue tickets
cobragt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement