Hardcore Sledder banner

Why are yamaha four strokes better than two strokes?

11K views 54 replies 27 participants last post by  polarisforlife 
#1 ·
So all my buddies have been busting me for picking up a 09 Nytro. They keep saying its heavy and all the usually bs about four strokes. Any good comebacks that I can say to them to show that yamaha four strokes are top of the line and better than two strokes?
:fistpump2::buttrock:

#8 ·
my bud has a vector and one side of the coil went..batt went dead and no way to start it ..just lucky he had a set of cables made up and there was another sled to jump it with...4 stroke are reliable but they do have draw backs too...there so heavy we wouldn't been able to tow it out and it was to small area to bring in a helicopter:roflmao:

#11 ·
I know! And they think it handles like crap and cant jump it because the front end is so heavy but when you compare it to a polaris 800 the nytro is 60-75 pounds heavier and is more efficient and can last twice is long! I think the differences between four strokes and two strokes are going to go away in acouple years.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Snowmobile.com App

#18 ·
yep...strong man,, 2 of us pulled on RX1 for 1/2 hour trying to get it unstuck,,,another 1/2 hour to rest ..then froze the rest of the day from sweating,,,swore i would never have one:mad: not so bad that most other brands are lighter but yammi need a diet program

#19 ·
Quit worrying about what your "supposed" buddies say, and just ride the thing.

Who cares what their opinions are!!!!!

Just keep riding and riding and riding it...eventually they will start thinking to themselves...man, those 4 strokes just keep going and going with very few troubles.

#20 ·
2 stroke for fun and 4 stroke for leisure reliable drive.... we have an apex and it has power sure but let off and you better turn your holding on tight into bracing yourself because the front will drop and you slow down fast due to heavy front end, all depends on your driving style, a 4 stroke is not as good of play machine, you could never play with the apex like a 2 stroke, and get it suck and you have your weeks work out

#31 ·
The front end diving and the quick de-celeration is from the EBS not the weight , change the spring in the primary clutch and that all goes away. I don't like the EBS myself but there are lots who do. As far as being able to play , I have more fun with this than any other sled I've had. I never owned a sled that would stnd straight up on it's ass till my Apex's and they all weigh a ton when stuck, but 2 stroke guys just need something to complain about.:fluffy:

#21 ·
Biggest thing with 2 strokes is reliability. Always buying plugs, oil, reeds, etc etc. I have an 07 apex gt and my wife has an 07 phazer gt. We buy gas and change the oil once a year that's it. In the twists it's a struggle to keep up with my buddy on his mxz 800 but when the trail opens up he can't keep up. 2 strokes need rebuilds at about 3000 miles 4 strokes go forever. Yamahas are heavy but that's because they aren't made of cheap plastics and will last. Go on youtube and search snowmobile fire. You won't find a yami burning. Buy a Yamaha if you want to keep it for a long time and the others if you want a disposable sled.

Sent from my iPhone using Snowmobile.com Free App

#33 · (Edited)
Yamaha 4 stroke advantages
1. Do not need hi test gas...any old regular will do.(except new Apex)
2. Carb cleaning ..unneccasary
3. Cleaning power valves..not required
4. spark plugs..not an issue
5. Makes full H.P for longer RPM range(triple the rpm range of 2 smokes) not just a breif Braaap.
6. Much, Much less smoke(does not smell as good tho.)
7. No need to carry oil.
8. Carb Jetting...what's that?
9. Runs the same day in and day out, +20c or -30c the same power, same run quality, starts the same.
10. No Fin with a choke lever.
11. The torque(corner to corner pull) is a way better.
12. Get your buddies to carry the beer..weight is now negotiable.
13. The power gets you into places that you can actually get stuck!
14. You only lift one end of the sled at a time, so total weight means squat, except at 100 mph on the river the thing stays planted.
15. Take your buddies out somewhere and hold it to the bar for an hour and see who's sled is still running at the end.
16. If your buddies bitch about helping you get unstuck, don't offer to tow them home.
17. Because of the smooth power delivery of a 4 stroke, belts last 3x as long compared to a 2 smoke.
18. 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke....Cadillac ctsv vs. Honda civic turbo(with an exhaust) hmm.
19. You never say to your buds "holy cow is this thing ever running good today"...minutes before a piston cooks itself.
20. Heavier motors, more torque = the need for a better built chassis/framework.
21. More sophisticated drivers require more sophisticated machines(the girls notice this BTW)
22. The motorcylce world dropped 2 smokes eons ago...your buddies are too simple to figure this out.
23. The Japanese people work for a lot less the the North Americans, so the sled builders have to purchase parts and build accordingly..$15,000 Yamaha = $2,000 Labor and $13,000 parts and manufacturing....$12,000 N. American Sled= $10,000 labor and $2,000 parts and manufacturing.
24. The Yamaha Apex(not so for the Nytro) simply the best sounding sled currently built.
25. Vibration???? the multi cylinder Yamahas are better balanced and do not shake rattle and roll like the twin 2 smokes.
26. Does gas mileage mean anything.On average four strokes are a way better than 2 smokes(ya. ya with a few rare exceptions)
27. PULLING.. should be the new name for 2 smokes...you're always pulling the cord, pulling the plugs, pulling out the power valves, pulling the carbs, pulling them home, pulling your "peter" while your 4 stroke buddy is still out riding.
28. Once you learn to drive a 4 stroke, the Engine braking is a huge advantage, simple flutter the gas into corners no need for brakes the sled drops, slows a little lean into the corner and ease back into the gas...a 2 smoker has to hit the brakes slowing/sliding the sled, then has to jump back on the gas trying to find it's power zone..anyone following you never sees brakes lights and misses the corners then you have to go back and help them get unstuck...(maybe this is a disadvantage !!! lol)

This is just a few of the advantages I could come up with, hope it helps.??
Happy sledding Bud.

#38 · (Edited)
Polarisforlife did your two stroke break down on the trail last year? Yes, yes it did. Also you and your two stroke did not like the fact when we needed gas you had to put 87 and the four stroke had no problems with it. Yeah so having a sled i can ride and not worrying about ruining my snowmobiling trip is a nice thought.

#39 ·
:blahblah1:
lets rewind to who couldnt make a corner following the 2 strokers through the twisties... oh yeah you. apart from having to wait at every intersection for the yammis to catch up i guess there alright. they jump pretty good to...:lol3:
:stirthepot:

#40 ·
You wont have to wait because you wont see us when we are passing you and and a rx1 for jumping yeah you cant do that and i needed new runners i will post the picture of them tomorrow to show you how roasted they were

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.