Hardcore Sledder banner

1996 Vmax 600

18K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  WIVIPERMAN 
#1 ·
Is anyone familiar with the 1996 vmax 600? What does it have for suspension, any big problems etc?

I might go look one over, but I'm not familiar with this model. The ad states 1996 vmax 600, 2200 miles, studs, cover, stored inside, 1700 obo. Too much money for a almost 10 year old sled, but that depends on how flexible the price is and how nice the machine is.

Any info would be appreciated. totallyyamaha has complete specs for 98 and up, but I didn't see anything for 96. Thanks!

#2 ·
Originally posted by benjamingvsu@Dec 7 2004, 01:58 PM
Is anyone familiar with the 1996 vmax 600? What does it have for suspension, any big problems etc?

I might go look one over, but I'm not familiar with this model. The ad states 1996 vmax 600, 2200 miles, studs, cover, stored inside, 1700 obo. Too much money for a almost 10 year old sled, but that depends on how flexible the price is and how nice the machine is.

Any info would be appreciated. totallyyamaha has complete specs for 98 and up, but I didn't see anything for 96. Thanks!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=452745
[/quote]
my sled is a 95 and i got it for 1500.....the thing starts up third pull......id see if theyd atleast drop the price a few hundred.......i guess it all dpends on how it runs.....its hard to bleieve they posted an ad saying all of the dress up things that they do for it and not the way it runs....id go check it out......but id deffinatley get them to lower the price.....i see them all over the trails.......i ride polaris so i dont really pay much attention to yamahas.....but its always good to kno what ure up against.......
have a good one :beerchug:

#3 ·
I have a 1996 Vmax 600ST Mountain Max...Runs great and has 6000KM(About 5000Miles) and I love it...Put new Pistons in it last year, which aint bad for that mileage...Only draw back is they are heavy for a twin...The ST has a 136 track and 1.5 inch paddle and I modded the suspension for more clearence...It has about 97hp with some minor mods to the engine and runs like a top! The pic of it is on the left.

#5 ·
Originally posted by benjamingvsu@Dec 7 2004, 12:58 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=452745
[/quote]

I have a 96 V-Max 500 that I bought new! Really no difference in a 500 to a 600 except for the cc's! Anyway,....to answer your ?'s........Suspension is low & out-dated compared to new sleds! Rear travel is 8.5 (you wouldn't know it by looking at it!) front is something like 7.
There are really no mechanical problems with those sleds that I know of! Mine has ran like a champ since day 1 & still does today! I have almost 4000 miles on mine & it's never been apart!
2200 miles is LOW :augen41: miles for that sled! $1700 might be a lil' high,....but you might be surprised!......the sled might be in mint condition like mine is!
The front suspension on those sleds is the T.S.S.-telescopic Strut Suspension a.k.a.-"pogo sticks" Not a bad ride at all!
Overall I have to say that if you can live with a non-long travel sled these V-max's aren't bad at all! Fuel mileage isn't very good....I get 10 m.p.g on a good day!
I did install a RX-1 rear skid in mine & I'm very happy with it! All the more reason for me to keep it! I have an 02 SXViper as well!
Good luck on whatever you decide!
WIVIPERMAN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.