Hardcore Sledder banner

2006 RS Rage. opinions please?

25K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  northwoods 
#1 ·
I am looking at buying a 2006 RS Rage. 4500km. What can you yamaha guys tell me about them? goods and mostly the bads is what i want to hear. i thought i was committed to polaris, but if i can get this 4-stroke yamaha for the right price i might change my mind.

The particular sled im looking at has some damage. hit something under the snow and obviously needs new Aarms and Skis. what else should i be concerned about with front end damage on these sleds? im guessing replacing the shocks will be a little bit price too.

Thanks guys, i dont know much about Yammis, so i figured id come to those with experience, those who'd know best.

#2 ·
My wife has a 2005 rage, great on gas but the rear suspension is not the greatest. We have had it for two winter with no major problem. It will overheat if you are on poor conditionds even if studded.

QUOTE (kawasaki_kid @ Jul 15 2010, 05:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=5343597
I am looking at buying a 2006 RS Rage. 4500km. What can you yamaha guys tell me about them? goods and mostly the bads is what i want to hear. i thought i was committed to polaris, but if i can get this 4-stroke yamaha for the right price i might change my mind.

The particular sled im looking at has some damage. hit something under the snow and obviously needs new Aarms and Skis. what else should i be concerned about with front end damage on these sleds? im guessing replacing the shocks will be a little bit price too.

Thanks guys, i dont know much about Yammis, so i figured id come to those with experience, those who'd know best.[/b]

#3 ·
I was committed to polaris for 14 years and owned 12 of them. I still own an 04 xc 700 that my wife rides.. I reluctantly tried an 05 rx-1 back in 06 and never looked back. Every once in a while I take the old xc 700 for a ride just to remind myself why I ride a yamaha. Once you get on the rage and ride it, you'll see what Im talking about. I was a polaris fanatic. I still have about 60 polaris hats from over the years and two polaris suites in the closet. The engine on the yamahas is the total selling factor. They are so smooth and pull to no end. The fit and finish is so much better, the sled is a little heavier but on the trails riding, the polaris actually feels bulkier and heavier... As for problems with the rage, never owned one but I have not heard of any issues with them, the motors are rock solid and will run for generations with no problem, the A arm bushings on the yammis tend to wear out quick and the rear suspension is not as good as on the polaris but other than that, its a far superior sled...

#4 ·
I have an 06 rage that I've rode for three seasons so far. It is a dependable sled and the motor is great. My only complaint is the rear suspension. It is way too soft, bottoms hard. When I got it the first thing I did was pick the track. On my first ride I tore up the rear heat exchanger from bottoming out. I sent my shock away to get re-valved and got a little better, but still not very happy with it. If riding on well groomed trails you will never notice it, but when you ride aggressive it's gonna slam. All around great sled, just my opinion on rear susp. Hope this helps.

#8 · (Edited)
Stators can be a problem around the 5000 mile mark,mine was replaced just before I got it.I never really bonded with mine, the engine was nice,but I was disappointed with the mpg and rear suspension.However mine was actually a vector with a 136" kit (2005) and an apex seat I think (higher) and bar risers,so ymmv.Oh yeah forgot,check the exhaust donuts too,They tend to wear out as well.

#9 ·
I have a 2005 rage. The suspension issue is with many yamahas. I put an M10 on mine and now it is great. I also, added a heat exchanger on the back. If you do not ,you may have a large ice build up under the back deck. Check for recalls. The engine is great, the front and clutching is good to. Yamaha racing uses M10's for suspensions. FYI , Good Luck . After the modifications, it is a great trail cruiser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.