Hardcore Sledder banner

FASTEST PRODUCTION SLED EVER PRODUCED

143K views 109 replies 77 participants last post by  Banana warrior 
#1 ·
What do you guys think are the three fastest lake runners ever produced (starting with the fastest)? I know that the mach1000 and fusion have not hit the snow yet, but feel free to include them if you think they will have what it takes.

#29 ·
I have yet to see any taillights from my 2001 SRX(only been clutched). The delusional one who says "t-cat hands down, no debate, end of thread" needs to wake up. I have lined up with a few t-cats and beat every single one. Could be the driver, I suppose, so I will be looking for the one who can "outdrive" me.

#72 ·
I have yet to see any taillights from my 2001 SRX(only been clutched). The delusional one who says "t-cat hands down, no debate, end of thread" needs to wake up. I have lined up with a few t-cats and beat every single one. Could be the driver, I suppose, so I will be looking for the one who can "outdrive" me.
Come to michigan...there a few tcats around here to satisfy your needs:thumbsup:

#30 ·
Go back to sleep and wake up when you know what your'e talking about. :cn: First off, I owned 2 SRXs and a REV and ZR800 in between the RX1 I'm on this year. The RX1's have a gear reduction, so while 10,000 Rs sound impressive, the output shaft isn't spinning much faster if at all than an SRX. Clutches lose their efficiency in exponential amounts once the speeds get much over 8000 rs. Secondly, the SRX can easily exceed 120 radar with very little work and a good tuner. It still wasn't as fast as a good running Mach Z, or ZRT800 for that matter. VMax 4, um no. The RX1, while very impressive, isn't cracking 120 on radar that I know of, while several other sleds already have.[/b]
srx's do fly with a little magic!!!

#31 ·
I have yet to see any taillights from my 2001 SRX(only been clutched). The delusional one who says "t-cat hands down, no debate, end of thread" needs to wake up. I have lined up with a few t-cats and beat every single one. Could be the driver, I suppose, so I will be looking for the one who can "outdrive" me.[/b]

srx's do fly with a little magic!!![/b]
what are you guys running for clutch set-up, just browsing around taking some notes on otehr peoples set-ups

also my top 3 as far as i recall in tests

1. 1998 T-cat 108.75mph in 1320

2. 2001 SRX 700

3. Probably a doo mach z or zr 9er

#33 ·
I would say Vmax 4 , especially with quad pipes. But for now fastest stock sled is new REV-XP 800. with that lightweight chassis and 151 HP motor ANY other sled will need to have some serious HP to beat it stock vs. stock... Now modified sleds I would have to say the supercharged Apex's are heard to beat...

#35 ·
I would say Vmax 4 , especially with quad pipes. But for now fastest stock sled is new REV-XP 800. with that lightweight chassis and 151 HP motor ANY other sled will need to have some serious HP to beat it stock vs. stock... Now modified sleds I would have to say the supercharged Apex's are heard to beat...[/b]

What speeds are STOCK rev-xp 800's running,, never thought it would be faster then the 1000mach,,..R2R

#36 ·
I would say Vmax 4 , especially with quad pipes. But for now fastest stock sled is new REV-XP 800. with that lightweight chassis and 151 HP motor ANY other sled will need to have some serious HP to beat it stock vs. stock... Now modified sleds I would have to say the supercharged Apex's are heard to beat...[/b]
XP is NOT going to touch these big mill triples top end, ever wonder why 90% of the resposnses all of there top 3 were all triple triples.... also sleds like the srx and t-cat arent HUGE suspension machines rather they sit pretty low and have a stance perfect for lake runs, SRX prime example, next to zero suspension but on a lake they do exactly what they were made to do hook up and GO

#38 ·
Actually, an RX-1 is faster than a 700 SRX. Also, the RX-1's engine lives for high-rpm runs. Even at 10,000 rpm that engine is just starting to hit its powerband. Thats the reason why the SRX was dropped back in '03.
Now by "fastest" are talking top speed or a 600' run?
I witnessed many Vmax-4 owners who were unbeatable in 300' runs but who could not run with lowly sleds such as Indy 650s and RXLs on the longer runs.
As far as the ThunderCat, it was a good sled in its day. However, I think a lot of the big twins that are being made now would eat it for breakfast. I think any 800 twin would be able to handle a T-cat with relative ease.[/b]
I completly agree

#40 ·

Fastest is a pretty broad term...top end, I don't think so bud. Seems that no doubt it has a ton of potential. But for S & G's, check out the thread in HGF...didn't exactly blow anyone away.

#43 ·
The new Arctic Cat Z1 Turbo is the fastest stock sled ever built in my opinion. It gos about 220kph or 137mi[/b]
Arctic Cat does claim it to be the "worlds fastest". They said it was done on pavement in upstate New York, they never say how many feet it took to hit 137mph. The trach was most likely soaked in VHT for hook up off the line.

I'm not saying it can't be done but I'd love to see the video tape. :m2c:

#44 ·
well i had many sled's.all cat's and one yamaha apex(06).the fastest strait line start to finish was my 98 t-cat.that big tripple screamed.best all around sled for me was my 03 zr 900.hammered in the trail's and was pretty fast on the lake.the apex,for the money and the weight was pretty impressive,specialy out of the hole.top speed was about 114 stock with stud's,zr 900 was about 118 top speed and the t was about 125 clutched and studded with vf's and breather..al.

#49 ·
we have tested the mach z's and srx's extensively. in the end when it came out to fastest lake runner, the early 2000's mach z 800 came out on top over and over again even against highly tuned srx's. i should know my uncle and his sons were the best srx tuners in new england back when srx's were the all the rage. now they've moved on to the apex's and left the 2 strokes behind for the most part. they figured out adding a turbo to an apex to get 300hp was a lot easier and cheaper than wrenching on a 2 stroke all the time.

#50 ·
I have owned :93 v-max4,00 t-cat,03 rx1.In stock form T-cat was way faster than the others.Raced plenty of xcr 800s,MachZs(older style).Mach was always the closest to the t-cat for top end.V-max was disappointing(in stock form)for top end as was the rx-1.Never raced an 05 mach but I did ride one a few times, felt as fast if not faster than the t-cat.I think the f-7 was one of the quickest sleds I have ever ridden.I should add that I am a yamaha fan but there's no doubt in my mind the t-cat was the fastest out of the box for years.Of course with mods everything changes...

#51 ·
wrong.....[/b]
In terms of top end speed the three cylinder machines have somewhat more power than the twins and therefore a higher top speed. There was an article back in 1996 or so about the trend to three cylinders where Kevin Cameron ( tech editor for a few motorsports related magazines) pointed out why the three cylinder was king cc per cc. The argument then seems to come from the weight. A three cylinder machine also has to add the weight of an extra cylinder, piston pipe, longer and thicker crankshaft and a frame able to handle the extra weight which adds- you guessed it- more weight. All things being equal cc per cc a twin will get going quicker than the twin having less friction than a twin but on the top end is where a three cylinder edges ahead of a twin. This is also why Ferrari and Lamborghinis traditionally had a higher top end than the eight cylinder competition. To recap the top end winners would be the Thundercat or the Z1 turbo, then the 800cc triples with the 1000cc Mach Z and CFR 1000 (as well as the F1000) coming in a hair behind them. I think where the new twins stand out is the way they'll out-handle a triple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.