02 viper hand & grip warmer issues - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Yamaha General Discussion This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. This is a 100% NO BASH ZONE. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 01:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

hey all, i have a 02 viper 700... the hand warmers and thumb warmer are not working the way that they should be, i've changed the cdi box, the rectifier/regulater, smoother condensers so far... i have tested the grips and thumb warmer with a battery charger and they work properly... i have tested the temp dials and they are working as well... the grips and thumb warmer do work but only get luke warm, i haven't condemed the stator yet because all the lights work perfect and when the brake is applied the headlight and gauge pod dim out very little if at all and the headlights work the way they should..real bright.. the voltage that is comming up to the grips and thumb warmers is at 1 volt or so at idle and if i bring up the rpm to about 3500 to 4000 the volts go up to about 7 to 10... if the brake is applied while the rpms are up and the volts are up the volts drop drasticly to about 1 volt as soon as the brake is realeased the volts come back up... if the sled is just idling the volts will jump from 1 to around 3 volts er so... its like something is holding the power back.... ANYONE GET AN IDEA ON THIS ONE cause im ready to set this damn thing on FIRE!!!!
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 03:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
hey all, i have a 02 viper 700... the hand warmers and thumb warmer are not working the way that they should be, i've changed the cdi box, the rectifier/regulater, smoother condensers so far... i have tested the grips and thumb warmer with a battery charger and they work properly... i have tested the temp dials and they are working as well... the grips and thumb warmer do work but only get luke warm, i haven't condemed the stator yet because all the lights work perfect and when the brake is applied the headlight and gauge pod dim out very little if at all and the headlights work the way they should..real bright.. the voltage that is comming up to the grips and thumb warmers is at 1 volt or so at idle and if i bring up the rpm to about 3500 to 4000 the volts go up to about 7 to 10... if the brake is applied while the rpms are up and the volts are up the volts drop drasticly to about 1 volt as soon as the brake is realeased the volts come back up... if the sled is just idling the volts will jump from 1 to around 3 volts er so... its like something is holding the power back.... ANYONE GET AN IDEA ON THIS ONE cause im ready to set this damn thing on FIRE!!!! [/b]
couple questions to ask:

1.) have you ohm checked the grips (each one) yet?

2.) what happens to the voltage if you unplug the grips and apply the brake?

3.) any accessories added on sled like gps,heated helmet shield plug, etc?

Old 01-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
couple questions to ask:

1.) have you ohm checked the grips (each one) yet?

2.) what happens to the voltage if you unplug the grips and apply the brake?

3.) any accessories added on sled like gps,heated helmet shield plug, etc?[/b]

yes i have checked the grips indevidualy, they are good.. if the grips are unplugged and the brake is applied the voltage dropes drasticly... no accessories added at all... it is also the thumb warmer that is doing the same thing as well, grips and thumb not gettin the power they need... im stumped???
Old 01-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 AXYS SB Anniverary 800, 2000 XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): 2003 XCR 1100, 98 XCR racer, 2005 Redline Revolt 800.
Favorite Riding Area: Cadillac, Gaylord
Riding Since: 1982

You probably have a short in the wires going to the brake/tail lights. Its taking all the current from the lighting coil. Try disconnecting the plug to that area and see what happens to the handwarmer voltage. Should stay high now. I"ll bill you. LOL!
patrioticinnovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:
You probably have a short in the wires going to the brake/tail lights. Its taking all the current from the lighting coil. Try disconnecting the plug to that area and see what happens to the handwarmer voltage. Should stay high now. I"ll bill you. LOL![/b]

i tryed unplugging the brake light right at the front of the seat at the harness and also tryed unplugging the head lights as well, and no change at all... you get no payment yet my friend..lol... i spent another few hrs tonight searching and tryed the load control relay and still nada... match in the gas tank soon..lol..
Old 01-29-2009, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
yes i have checked the grips indevidualy, they are good.. if the grips are unplugged and the brake is applied the voltage dropes drasticly... no accessories added at all... it is also the thumb warmer that is doing the same thing as well, grips and thumb not gettin the power they need... im stumped???[/b]
and the readings are????? need actual numbers to help
Advertisement