Hardcore Sledder banner

First sled 2000 srx 700

13K views 128 replies 15 participants last post by  Ride.Race.Live 
#1 ·
Hey guys... Ive been reading abit of posts the past couple of days about my sled i just bought... this is my first sled that ive ever owned still have yet to drive it waiting for the season to start..

Just figured id say hi and see what people have to say... and at same time let me know what to look out for in those sleds what happens to wear fast and such...

Thanks

#52 ·
They were most likely looking at the year it was built,,like said above,,the MFD is for the next year,,,, you will kill the 800 if it tuned ......R2R[/b]

yea... i understand that... makes sense same thing with every other vehicle or anythin...

sweet gona give him a few bucks on the race then .. well im about to find out if its running 100% or not n then once i get it back.. im letting my neighbour try it n see what he says about the clutch... unless my mech is gona tune it for me.. which is possible... unless its already tuned pretty good...

now just gota wait for the mech to finish his "check up"

got my dad to buy a sled too! well didnt take much of me saying anything i think just hearing my sled start gave him an itch :grinning:
didnt get anythin too fancy but still... its a 2000 800 touring skidoo..

#53 ·
Since it was made in 2000 it would be a 2001. Model year is always one year ahead of present year(2009 sleds are already out, 2010 sleds will be out in April 2009).[/b]
The 2000' was the millennium sled. Everything was done in blue. Cowling,hand grips,handle bar pad,lower section of windshield, Trailing arms, Belly pan, Tunnel, etc., etc. 2001' had Black Cowling , Black Grips , and Silver trailing arms and tunnel. Hope this helps.

#54 ·
The 2000' was the millennium sled. Everything was done in blue. Cowling,hand grips,handle bar pad,lower section of windshield, Trailing arms, Belly pan, Tunnel, etc., etc. 2001' had Black Cowling , Black Grips , and Silver trailing arms and tunnel. Hope this helps.[/b]

yea.. thanks!... its confusin though... everythin was blue exept the trailing arms... the tunnel was blue but got polished... belly pan is blue.. everythin is exept trailing arms.. so either the guy changes them or its an 01.. but it wouldnt make sense since it shows that the tunnel was blue at one time... cause the guy missed a spot near some part... where it was blue

#56 ·
yea... i understand that... makes sense same thing with every other vehicle or anythin...

sweet gona give him a few bucks on the race then .. well im about to find out if its running 100% or not n then once i get it back.. im letting my neighbour try it n see what he says about the clutch... unless my mech is gona tune it for me.. which is possible... unless its already tuned pretty good...

now just gota wait for the mech to finish his "check up"

got my dad to buy a sled too! well didnt take much of me saying anything i think just hearing my sled start gave him an itch :grinning:
didnt get anythin too fancy but still... its a 2000 800 touring skidoo..[/b]
Well.,,,My neighbor has the fastest stock SRX in this province and it's a battle between us who gets to the finish line first,,, another guy here with another SRX didn't beleive it could be stock since there was so much difference between the two,,, he took him back to his shop with the guy watch and change his clutching slightly,, he came back to the feild and ate up just about everything,, guy wanted to buy the clutching but he never got the secreats,,just wanted to prove his point,,, took it back off and back to getting his doors blew off,, there is big gains in the SRX clutching,,you just have to get it out..........R2R

#57 ·
^^^^^^^^
Did you go look at the tunnel? You could settle this debate in 30 seconds if you'd go look at the sticker on the tunnel. :lol:
Black cowling? You mean the hood? No SRX ever came stock with a black hood(except the 70's SRX's).[/b]

you mean these years....I think 79-81 might have been all black though...R2R

#59 ·
are those your sleds?[/b]
No they are my neighbors,, races vintage now since the 15 year rule,,he no longer has the 340,,that was his MSRF race sled back in the 80's not many 340 SRX's ,,76 was the only year and this is the Can version with the two tone pain,,, here is a pic of this guys bothers 77'SRX still original shape,,was Maritime champ a few years running,, I race it for him at the vintage races,,still have to hang on,,it"s DAM quick.... These guys know their suff........R2R

#60 ·
^^^^^^^^
Did you go look at the tunnel? You could settle this debate in 30 seconds if you'd go look at the sticker on the tunnel. :lol:
Black cowling? You mean the hood? No SRX ever came stock with a black hood(except the 70's SRX's).[/b]

lol i would... id go right now.. but the mech is doing the season tune up so i dont have it with me... im waiting for him to call me letting me kno its done....

#61 ·
Well.,,,My neighbor has the fastest stock SRX in this province and it's a battle between us who gets to the finish line first,,, another guy here with another SRX didn't beleive it could be stock since there was so much difference between the two,,, he took him back to his shop with the guy watch and change his clutching slightly,, he came back to the feild and ate up just about everything,, guy wanted to buy the clutching but he never got the secreats,,just wanted to prove his point,,, took it back off and back to getting his doors blew off,, there is big gains in the SRX clutching,,you just have to get it out..........R2R[/b]

wow.. i really hope my sled is tuned good then... i wish i knew a good style of tuning like that!!... would be amazin....

#62 ·
Well mech just called me today... and he was the bearer of bad news....

he says my clutch has a decent crack in it and needs to be changed...

when i get it back ill take some pics of it too i guess...

any ideas how that happens..

other than that he said everythings good.. each cylender is runing at 130 compresion... belt is good just bought one for xtra.. and usin the old spark plugs as spares.. since thye are still good...

so the prices are...
everythin listed is installation included
clutch: 550
Belt: 130
slidders 60
and the regualr maintanence check was 200
840 after taxes...

total came up to 1040 for my first ride... kinda depressing...

#63 ·
ok well.. just called him again... its the main engine clutch thats cracked... the bender part of my clutch is the helix im guessing.. the big wheel part at the very top...

#64 ·
For your reference , the clutch on the motor is called the primary clutch and the back clutch is the secondary. I would check on TY to see if you can find a good used clutch to save you some money. There are many guys on there that have all kinds of srx parts for sale. Nobody ever said snowmobiling is cheap! Whenever you have an older sled your gonna have upkeep costs. But to me thats better than dumping 10k on a new sled...lol.

#65 ·
Well mech just called me today... and he was the bearer of bad news....

he says my clutch has a decent crack in it and needs to be changed...

when i get it back ill take some pics of it too i guess...

any ideas how that happens..

other than that he said everythings good.. each cylender is runing at 130 compresion... belt is good just bought one for xtra.. and usin the old spark plugs as spares.. since thye are still good...

so the prices are...
everythin listed is installation included
clutch: 550
Belt: 130
slidders 60
and the regualr maintanence check was 200
840 after taxes...

total came up to 1040 for my first ride... kinda depressing...[/b]

WOW,,grand after buying a sled is a real kick,,, 200 for a check up seems kinda steep,,not giving many breaks,, I would look around clutches I'm sure off other Yamaha models are likely the same,,,, did you see your clutch with the crack while it was on you sled? ...R2R

#66 ·
Check EBay. There are a bunch of YXR primary clutches for sale ALOT cheaper than what you would play new at a dealer. You still still use all the internal components from your old clutch, if you like.

Here is one on EBay now. Complete clutch going for $125. This clutch is listed for an SXR. The SXR and the SRX have the same part #'s for the sheaves in the primary (fixed and movable). Onlt the weights are different. Beats getting raped for $500 at the dealer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-2000...sQ5fAccessories

PS. Here are the parts #'s for the two sheaves in the primary clutch 8CR-17611-01-00 (fixed sheave, MSRP about $90) and 8BV-17620-11-00 (movable sheave, MSRP about $172). The sheaves are what would usually crack in the primary clutch..usually due to the clutches running too hot. So if you do have the clutched fixed, make sure to keep an eye on it once you start riding that the primary is not getting too hot.

#67 ·
first thing off... i got him to order out the clutch anyways... im gona try n get him to sponsor me soon... ive been bringing my stuff in alot to him n hes been giving me smalll discounts here n there... so im gona mention it to him and see what he says about it... im pretty sure he wouldnt mind...

also.. dont forget im from canada... parts here are much more expensive than the states

I went today to go see him... the primary clutch had a crack all the way through it was very noticable..... ill take pics of it when i bring it home tomorrow...

as for the maintenance check.. its 200 cause he flushes everything and adds the oil n all that.. then inspects the usual... then he throws in new spark plugs and all that... 200 is decent around here... if i brought it to another place it would of costed me alot more... hes working at 50$/hour while most other places are charging 70-90$/hour if not more... hes a local mech so thats one bonus... and hes the cheapest around.. well for time he is...

im def gona be looking around for stuff on TY or here for extra parts.. next time... i guess i just kinda got caught on the spot n said to order everythin it needs.... if u guys know what i mean...

also i checked out the year of the sled when i was there...

it is a 2000.... the front trailing arms where changed by the first owner as well as the hood.. im guessin he got into a wreck with it...
the secondary clutch is a bender clutch.. my primary clutch is going to be a lower end after market not top quality but better than stock... one of his mechs refered me to that one n mentioned thats whats hes using on his 800 xc...

also there yousto be M-10 rear suspention on it but the guy put the stock one back on when he sold it.. this was all from the 1st owner.. the 2nd owner only owned the sled for about 1 year.. until i bought it...

lol this is turnin into a life story here...

appreciate the help and references guys!
THANKS!

#68 ·
WELL I LIVE IN CANADA TOO,, YES PRICES ARE HIGHER AND YOU NEED TO SHOP AROUND,,BUT I DON'T SEE WHERE HE GAVE YOU ANY BREAKS,,ALSO I NEVER HAD A SLED BACK TO THE DEALER ,,MOST OF THAT STUFF IS PRETTY SIMPLE AND YOU CAN DO IT YOURSELF,,, $200 IS A RIP OFF EVEN IN CAN..........LOWER END.....AFTER MARKET PRIMARY THAT'S MORE THEN THE ORIGINAL,,,,,WHAT BRAND IS THAT?...........R2R

#69 ·
WELL I LIVE IN CANADA TOO,, YES PRICES ARE HIGHER AND YOU NEED TO SHOP AROUND,,BUT I DON'T SEE WHERE HE GAVE YOU ANY BREAKS,,ALSO I NEVER HAD A SLED BACK TO THE DEALER ,,MOST OF THAT STUFF IS PRETTY SIMPLE AND YOU CAN DO IT YOURSELF,,, $200 IS A RIP OFF EVEN IN CAN..........LOWER END.....AFTER MARKET PRIMARY THAT'S MORE THEN THE ORIGINAL,,,,,WHAT BRAND IS THAT?...........R2R[/b]
Dont remeber what he said exacly ill have to check it out when i pick it up tonite...
Hes not a dealership though.. hes a private mech shop...He didnt help me one bit on the sled.. he just helped me out on my atv so far... i would never bring it to a dealership they are x2 more expensive... if your saying 200 is a rip off im def gona go look around.. im going to learn how to do this myself..

I was planning on taking my sled apart after this season myself and see how things work in there... that way im giving myslef more than enought time to figure things out n learn on my own without messin anything up right b4 the season starts... I def did not help myself by getting everything from my mech i ususaly get my own parts from Forums or ebay like most people. I know ANY shop is crazy exepensive in parts but dont have the room to be working on it at home right now. father is working on his harley and my moms Vstar he does every winter so workin in the garage is a big no until hes done.

so my choices where pretty limited to what i can do... anyways enought of my excuses.. long story short.. I will be working on my own sled just wasnt going to this season. So you need not to worry about me throwing my money out like i did this season.

ill def post what clutch i got on when i get it back tonite... im very curious to see if he screwed me over or not.. if he did.. il have to go see him and see if we can arrange something, he gots alot of customers going to see him through me im sure he doesnt want to loose a bunch of them. nor my business at that...

#70 ·
Dont remeber what he said exacly ill have to check it out when i pick it up tonite...
Hes not a dealership though.. hes a private mech shop...He didnt help me one bit on the sled.. he just helped me out on my atv so far... i would never bring it to a dealership they are x2 more expensive... if your saying 200 is a rip off im def gona go look around.. im going to learn how to do this myself..

I was planning on taking my sled apart after this season myself and see how things work in there... that way im giving myslef more than enought time to figure things out n learn on my own without messin anything up right b4 the season starts... I def did not help myself by getting everything from my mech i ususaly get my own parts from Forums or ebay like most people. I know ANY shop is crazy exepensive in parts but dont have the room to be working on it at home right now. father is working on his harley and my moms Vstar he does every winter so workin in the garage is a big no until hes done.

so my choices where pretty limited to what i can do... anyways enought of my excuses.. long story short.. I will be working on my own sled just wasnt going to this season. So you need not to worry about me throwing my money out like i did this season.

ill def post what clutch i got on when i get it back tonite... im very curious to see if he screwed me over or not.. if he did.. il have to go see him and see if we can arrange something, he gots alot of customers going to see him through me im sure he doesnt want to loose a bunch of them. nor my business at that...[/b]

I guess that's what I'm wanting to know,,I hate to see people paying more then they should just because thier new to sledding and don't understand the in's and outs,,but I'm sure a pre season tuneup is about half that here at the dealer,,I could be wrong since it's been awhile since I've been in but I'm going to check,,, like I said most of it's pretty streight forward and easily done,,,, might as well keep your money in your pocket,,,,,R2R

#71 ·
I guess that's what I'm wanting to know,,I hate to see people paying more then they should just because thier new to sledding and don't understand the in's and outs,,but I'm sure a pre season tuneup is about half that here at the dealer,,I could be wrong since it's been awhile since I've been in but I'm going to check,,, like I said most of it's pretty streight forward and easily done,,,, might as well keep your money in your pocket,,,,,R2R[/b]
K well... i forgot to grab the clutch when i left the shop so no pics will be up... of the cracked clutch as of yet...

Now for the old clutch that was in there... the mech said it was unbalanced and that can fuck up the shaft reall good.. if it is messed up.. is there a way i would notice while driving it? or...

and my new clutch now installed is called Comet any one hear of that clutch? any info?

#72 ·
K well... i forgot to grab the clutch when i left the shop so no pics will be up... of the cracked clutch as of yet...

Now for the old clutch that was in there... the mech said it was unbalanced and that can fuck up the shaft reall good.. if it is messed up.. is there a way i would notice while driving it? or...

and my new clutch now installed is called Comet any one hear of that clutch? any info?[/b]

yeah,,if it's out bad enough you'll notice,, does he mean the crank shaft? almost have to be since your replacing the clutch,,well,, if it's fucked up you'll know soon enough,,,major problems,,, Yes,,Comet is common,,they use to make alot of clutches for sleds,, didn't say if it's a 108 or EXP..if you knew what one for sure could tell you more......just looked in my royal distributing book,,probably where it's comming from since your in Ont,, 429.95 cal,,plus tax would bring it close to your price........R2R

#73 ·
yeah,,if it's out bad enough you'll notice,, does he mean the crank shaft? almost have to be since your replacing the clutch,,well,, if it's fucked up you'll know soon enough,,,major problems,,, Yes,,Comet is common,,they use to make alot of clutches for sleds,, didn't say if it's a 108 or EXP..if you knew what one for sure could tell you more......just looked in my royal distributing book,,probably where it's comming from since your in Ont,, 429.95 cal,,plus tax would bring it close to your price........R2R[/b]

alrite... k well im hoping the crank isnt fucked... cause if it is.. im going to cry... he is affeliated with splash n dirt from quebec montreal.. would it say what type of model on the clutch or would i need to contact the mech for that? ..

#74 ·
alrite... k well im hoping the crank isnt fucked... cause if it is.. im going to cry... he is affeliated with splash n dirt from quebec montreal.. would it say what type of model on the clutch or would i need to contact the mech for that? ..[/b]

I had one but I can't remember if it said on it,,there should be instructions with it,,it would say there,,,i imagine it is,,this is the clutch of choice over the 108C ,,,Why does the mach think it might have bent the crank? I would like to see that cracked clutch,,, R2R

#75 ·
Comet clutch is crap...the yammie is way better. Good used ones are $175 in very good shape. You only need a shive which might be $175 CDN at the most. A yamaha belt is $89 Canadian. A Comet clutch won,t/can,t fit yamaha weights. your mechanic is screwing you royally.

#76 ·
Comet clutch is crap...the yammie is way better. Good used ones are $175 in very good shape. You only need a shive which might be $175 CDN at the most. A yamaha belt is $89 Canadian. A Comet clutch won,t/can,t fit yamaha weights. your mechanic is screwing you royally.[/b]

I'm thinking the same thing,,it won't be cal for a comet and it's going to be guessing,,,,R2R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.