Hardcore Sledder banner

First sled 2000 srx 700

13K views 128 replies 15 participants last post by  Ride.Race.Live 
#1 ·
Hey guys... Ive been reading abit of posts the past couple of days about my sled i just bought... this is my first sled that ive ever owned still have yet to drive it waiting for the season to start..

Just figured id say hi and see what people have to say... and at same time let me know what to look out for in those sleds what happens to wear fast and such...

Thanks

#3 ·
THe major issues are the W arm in the rear suspension breaking. It cracks near the rubber stoppers. other issues are quick hyfax wear and the wiring harness chaffing where it goes under the engine. You will have an erratic tach and headlight when it starts to go . My 00 broke both the driveshaft and the jackshaft but it seems to be a fluke as I know of no others and no issues with the other 3 I owned. I still have a98 with over 21,000 miles

#5 ·
Thanks = )

Now i dunno if this has been changed but.. my neighbour knows abit about sleds n he said that theres some random drill points on the side near where the shock links up to.. he says it looks like one of the previous owners fiddled with something back there.... i would have to take it apart n check out out... but i bought it from the guy and he said its working 100%.... im letting it go as is for this season but was planning on bringing it in after this season for a full check up... suspension check for cracks or anything that might seem weak or what not... and ofcourse the usualy valves and cleaning of carbs....
It seems to be reving fine... takes one pull to start most of the time..

whats a hyfax...

I know pretty much zilch about sleds...trying to learn as much as i can from forums... and my neighbour is showing me some stuff about em too... which is helping out loads..

I actually didnt even kno i had a after market clutchkit... bender clutch.. which my neighbour told me i had lol.... so im sure that tells u how illiterate i am in the Sleds....

My sled has 10,000 clicks on it n hasnt had any problems for the previous owner since he bought it... im the 3rd owner.. so if anythin im hoping most of the weak points have been changed by the first owner... is there an easy/quick way to check if the weak points without takin it apart?

Thanks alot guys!

#6 ·
Hyfax are the plastic sliders that run along the bottom of the metal rails in your suspension. They are a wearable/replaceable item and wear fast or slow and depending on how you ride and the conditions your ride on etc... If you ride in low snow conditions, alot of road riding, and alot of ice riding, they will wear quicker. Same thing if you spin your track alot..they will wear quicker. They have a wear indicator line on them so you can tell if the need to be replaced. Just look at the long metal rails on the bottom of your suspension....the plastic strips that run the length of the metal slide rail are you Hyfax. You should see a little wear indicatoir line that also runs the length of the Hyfax. Hope this helps.

As far as your clutch kit.....depends on where your performance is now. You should be engaging at about 4,200 RPMS and have full shift out at 8,500 RPMS. Ride it and see where you are when the snow flies. Maybe it is already right where it needs to be. There are many knowledgable minds that can get you tuned in, clutchwise, just need to know where you are now to point you in the right direction.

I would also do a compression test on each of the cylinders to make sure you are not in need of new rings. SRX's are good for about 5,000 before the rings should be replaced (from my experience). All 3 cylinders should be between 120-130.

#7 ·
SRX's are touchy on the startup sequence. When you start the sled, do it like this:

1. Full choke, pull the rope until the sled starts.

2. When the sled starts, flip to no choke.

3. If the motor starts to die, flip to 1/2 choke for 5 seconds or so.

4. Flip to no choke.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the motor will run on it's own.

Do NOT touch the throttle while the sled is warming up. The throttle is not a device to warm up the motor, it is the go button. Use the choke and only the choke if the motor starts to die down, but only for a few seconds at a time. Let the sled warm up for 5-10 minutes depending on how cold it is outside. You'll get a feel for it after a while.

BR9ECS is the correct spark plug. Make sure you have one set of spares with you.

#8 ·
ahh ok... yea i checked those... well dad did... they where low.. but then my neighbour told me they burn to the wear line pretty quick n read about it on here n ppl say just keep a close eye on it cause one they are near the wear mark they dont wear that fast... so those are ok for now... im gona bring it in for a comp test some time next week hopefully n see how every thing is.

As for the clutch.. i think im takin off at around 4200 like u mentioned would have to check i know if not 4200 it was pretty close to it.. that ill have to go check out... and get back to you...

I still need to go out and buy another belt and a set of plugs as extras incase... and gona try n bring it in for a comp test.. hopefully its 100%

wow shortstop... u pretty much said the same thing my neighbour told me step by step lol... he told me that they are pretty easy to flood and are touchy to start up... even the last owner mentioned that.. so i guess they are tricky if ur not used to it.. but like every one said ill get a hang of it...

Thanks for the spark plug number! saved me some reaserching!..

What kind of coolent should i use for this sled ?

#9 ·
Good call on the warm up proceedure. Problem is not flooding it though (that would be easy), it is fouling out the plugs (with injector oil) when you prematurely hit the gas during warm-up.

Definitely a good idea to have a spare belt and plugs.

As far as coolant, your standard Ethelyene Glycol (the green stuff) available at any Auto store. Should be a 50/50 (coolant/water) mix, if my memory serves me. You can even by the pre-mixed 50-50 right in the gallon bottle.

#11 ·
You`ve got a fast sled for your first ride so just be careful! These things are so smooth you dont realize how fast your going till it`s too late...lol. All the guys have given great advice on your sled and if you go to totallyamaha.com you can find out anything you need to know on your sled.

#12 ·
You`ve got a fast sled for your first ride so just be careful! These things are so smooth you dont realize how fast your going till it`s too late...lol. All the guys have given great advice on your sled and if you go to totallyamaha.com you can find out anything you need to know on your sled.[/b]

Yea i got 14 acres to ride around in to get used to it n i def will keep an eye out on the trail... get used to see how long it takes to stop n all that.. def wont be going all out right away.. gona baby it abit at first until im more confy on it...

Cool thanks for the reference link!...

Thanks again!

#15 ·
You say it`s a 2000 but in your avatar pic it looks like the tunnel and trailing arms are silver. Hard to tell in that pic. The 2000 was all blue.[/b]

Yeah i know.. the guy that owned it buffed out all the blue and had it pollished... u can tell he did it since near the screws or rivets theres a slight shad of blue

#18 ·
That is an '01 hood as well.[/b]

lol really?... wonder if there was an error in the papers... cause on the owner ships n everythin it says 2000...
Im curious now.... where on the frame would it have the year n all the info...

If its an 00 then im guessing the guy did one hell of a bail on it when he had it n changed alot of parts... since u guys mentioned that the 2000 is all blue...

If it turns out to be an 01.. bonus on my side.. just means its 1 year newer...

#19 ·
are the hoods interchangeable? like u can use other year hoods from the srx and put em on a newer or older one that could also be possible... ill have to go check the info on the frame.. just gota know where it is

#22 ·
You definately bought a bullitt, they are fast as hell and handle great for as low as they are. There is a recall on the 00-02 srx's for a headlight relay and the wiring harness. This will show up if the tach acts funny , the machine starts and stalls immdiately or will only start with the headlight in highbeam. If you don't know about the recall this trouble will drive you insane trying to find it cause it is intermittent till total failure. The compression new is 125-130, but anything over 110 is good as long as all three cylinders are within 10 percent of each other. I had over 10,000 miles on mine with no major issues. Watch for cracks in the front of the suspension by the bump stops.
Be care full with this sled, I've been on them all my life and the SRX was a different animal all together to drive. Make friends with the sled then go make war, find a long lake and kick ass, it will still outrun most newer stock sleds on a long lake.

#23 ·
You definately bought a bullitt, they are fast as hell and handle great for as low as they are. There is a recall on the 00-02 srx's for a headlight relay and the wiring harness. This will show up if the tach acts funny , the machine starts and stalls immdiately or will only start with the headlight in highbeam. If you don't know about the recall this trouble will drive you insane trying to find it cause it is intermittent till total failure. The compression new is 125-130, but anything over 110 is good as long as all three cylinders are within 10 percent of each other. I had over 10,000 miles on mine with no major issues. Watch for cracks in the front of the suspension by the bump stops.
Be care full with this sled, I've been on them all my life and the SRX was a different animal all together to drive. Make friends with the sled then go make war, find a long lake and kick ass, it will still outrun most newer stock sleds on a long lake.[/b]

K cool.. ill look into it... i think its been changed.. though i would beleive...im the 3rd owner of it hopefully most kinks in it are worked out... could u point out where the bump stops are... so ill have more of an idea where to look lol... newb question i kno..but yea...
Also by intermittent till total failure does that mean like it will work fine for a while until it just completely gives up n wont start n all that due to the wirring harness?.. also these are just pull start right? ... cause when i opened the hood there was a wire that wasnt connected to anythin near the key switch...(i think) dad noticed it so id have to look to see... when i started it everything was acting fine.. the use of brights where good n all that tach seemed working fine... and there has been no problems with starting it... as of yet....

K from what im hearing about these srx's is makin me want to go ride it now.... i got my yard to get used to it then gona get a hang of it in the trails... my buddy has a polaris 600 xc and my other riding buddy has a bombardier 800 not sure what type though i kno its a touring sled... so from what im understanding i should blow them out of the water without a dout... i only got 2 friends that i talk to alot that have sleds but hoping to get my other atv riding buddies into sledding some time soon... until then my neighbour and his buddies go sledding every weekend pretty much n he said i should tag along with em...

#26 ·
Call a Yami dealer & give them the VIN #.

Read up on how to set up the suspension.[/b]

Alrite..thanks..

Def gona read up on how to set up suspension as well as the clutch.. dont think id do it myself until i see some 1 do it.. but doesnt hurt to read up... my neighbour is gona show me how to set up the suspension so thats one bonus..

Also he was talking about this black bar on each side of the rear end of the sled.. i forget what he called them... but he mentioned if i cut the silicon cap in half on each side it will have the front end pick up abit.... or if u remove the cap it just lifts up in ur face pretty much... which would not be great but yea lol.... he mentioned u can buy adjustable ones too... what are they and what do they do really...?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.