Hardcore Sledder banner

yamaha 700 triple

23K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  corwin06 
#1 ·
i just bought a 1998 yamaha 700 triple(after my 99 yamaha 500 VMAX blew up). i was riding it and noticed some backfireing and dogging out on low RPMs, then i went through the engine and the fuel vaccum was part way off and the exaust was leaking due to lack of springs holding it together. well i fixed those 2 things and was wondering if the dogging out was normal or if there is somthing wrong with it. matinence tips would be nice also :summer_sucks: :i_need_snow:

#5 ·
whats a tors system...and how would i adjust it?[/b]
throttle over ride system.. It's found on most newer yammies.Look in your owners manual to find out if you even have it. If so you can by-pass it under the hood. Look for two wires coming off the carb. Should be white & black.Unplug thems, then just plug the wires coming from the engine back together. This will let you get home ok.. Special note... Don't run the manchine very long without finding out what is really wrong..... :homework: MMV.

#6 ·
If the machine is new to you, clean & adjust the carbs..pilots, mains, etc. Make sure fuel screws are set right. (make sure you have the correct # on each jet...not all may be the same) After, adjust the throttle cable then the oil pump cable. Then go to the choke. Move the lever & watch the operation on the carb rack to see how it works. Adjust the cable so it goes thru each of the three positions. While getting the carb rack off you need to take out the airbox. Make sure it's clean (no debris or even rodent nest). Now you know the intake is good & the carbs are good. You said you took care of the exhaust leak with the spring...just make sure the doughnuts aren't F'ed up from movement without all the springs. I don't see what type of sled it is??? If it has powervalves, you need to clean & adjust them & check the condition of the cables. Follow the plug wires from the coils to the caps to check their condition as well as the plugs. Make sure you're not running old shitty gas either...only PREMIUM...91 octane.

I could keep going, but bottomline is you need to dedicate the better part of a day to making sure the basic key service is done. It's hard to chase problems on a new used sled. Get the things I said above done & done correctly. Now you have a good platform cuz you know this stuff is right. Chances are it's a carb related issue. Let us now once you've gone thru it.

I'm telling you all this cuz I just bought mine last Fall & have spent countless hours going thru it & learning the ins & outs. Take the time to do it yourself & post up if you have more questions. There's alot of people on here to help.

Oh, I wouldn't take any advice from the guy that told you the 3rd cylinder kicks in "later".

#7 ·
If the machine is new to you, clean & adjust the carbs..pilots, mains, etc. Make sure fuel screws are set right. (make sure you have the correct # on each jet...not all may be the same) After, adjust the throttle cable then the oil pump cable. Then go to the choke. Move the lever & watch the operation on the carb rack to see how it works. Adjust the cable so it goes thru each of the three positions. While getting the carb rack off you need to take out the airbox. Make sure it's clean (no debris or even rodent nest). Now you know the intake is good & the carbs are good. You said you took care of the exhaust leak with the spring...just make sure the doughnuts aren't F'ed up from movement without all the springs. I don't see what type of sled it is??? If it has powervalves, you need to clean & adjust them & check the condition of the cables. Follow the plug wires from the coils to the caps to check their condition as well as the plugs. Make sure you're not running old shitty gas either...only PREMIUM...91 octane.

I could keep going, but bottomline is you need to dedicate the better part of a day to making sure the basic key service is done. It's hard to chase problems on a new used sled. Get the things I said above done & done correctly. Now you have a good platform cuz you know this stuff is right. Chances are it's a carb related issue. Let us now once you've gone thru it.

I'm telling you all this cuz I just bought mine last Fall & have spent countless hours going thru it & learning the ins & outs. Take the time to do it yourself & post up if you have more questions. There's alot of people on here to help.
Oh, I wouldn't take any advice from the guy that told you the 3rd cylinder kicks in "later".[/b]

yeah, me and my dad looked through it the second day i got it, the carbs were cleaned right before we got it, my dad said run some gas through it and it should be good, or re-jet it in the spring....when we went through it the fuel vacuum was part way off(my friend who told me about the third cylinder said not to turn it all the way on for some reason)but we turned it all the way on, and there was an exaust leak( some springs were missing) but we got some springs, after that i rode it once...it didnt bog out as much...i think only once, and it didnt backfire at all.....but when i get home we will look it over more.....thanks for all the help

#9 ·
The throttle override system caused my 600 triple srx to act like it was dropping a cylinder. We started by obviously checking the plugs and all.. everything was firing correctly. It was "clicking", like they do when they are dropping the plug.

We don't know how to fix the throttle override system, so we disconnected it. It's a drag sled, no longer a trail sled.

And whoever said that the third cylinder kicks in at a higher rate of speed must have been smoking some pot. Triples foul cylinders, sure, but if you ride a triple on 2 cylinders, your pistons are going to look like balls of aluminum foil. Your going to blow it up. Best bet is if your having trouble dropping a cylinder, take a hand held temperature lazer along with you. That is how we test our triples during warm up before the race.

#14 ·
yeah....there my spark plugs were 10's and they should of been 9's....that was another thing[/b]
Yup, if you run NGK spark plugs, which I hope, the lower the number the hotter. No wonder you were dropping cylinders, your plugs were too cold for the sled. We race our srx's on 9's, but warm them up on 8's to prevent fouling. Your running BR9ES, correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.