Hardcore Sledder banner

Exciter 570 Clutch mods

21K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  justin couture 
#1 ·
What has everyone done to mod clutching on an exciter 570? mine is an 89 with 38mm flatslides and psi pipe. I was thinking about going with a comet 102c. what weights and springs should I get? i've also heard of some people using v-max 600 secondaries as there are more aftermarket parts availible for them versus the stock exciter secondary. any recommendations?

#2 ·
My recommendation would be to stay away from the Comet. You'll be doing a complete re-build every 1000 miles or so ($200+ per re-build). These particular engines (570, 5&600 Vmax twins) had/have vibration issues and chew the Comets to pieces in no time. I just picked up a YVXC clutch to put on my EX - suppose to be alot more durable. I'd say look for a primary from a '93 or later Yamaha and run that. I'll be running almost an identical set-up this year, and am starting with the clutch specs from the EX SX - will tune from there.

As for secondary, I picked up one from a '95 Vmax. It's suppose to be the easiest bolt-on for the EX. I'll need to make up a spacer and get a longer bolt for the jackshaft, as the helix is on the outside of the unit, not the inside. I was told it is more work to make any of the newer ones fit, but I'm not exactly sure what it would involve.

I picked up a bolt-on roller set-up for my secondary, but I don't have any baseline to start from with it - it'll be completely trial & error.

Good luck with your modding - be interesting to compare some notes on what works and what doesn't once I get everything put back together and get out on the snow.

Angus

#3 ·
Hi, brand new! The best set up I've ever ridden was my buddies 87' w/a PSI ported, twin pipe motor. It had a Polaris P-85 primary, and an Arctic Cat secondary. You can call Micro Bellmont for the conversion shaft for the secondary ($125).

This baby rocked like no other!! My sled smoked a piston early in the first morning at Copper Harbor so we pulled his "spare' off the trailer. It was bezerk! I rode it down the railroad grade at 118 mph! (indicated).

Of course this was a widened front end (41") w/Vmax 600 struts, Vmax 600 suspension, and all the tricks!! (he had been thru 10 Exciters, and this one had the best of everything from all of them). With it's light weight this sled was a blast to ride!

Mine did good w/stock clutches w/tuning setup from PSI where I got my pipes, and porting from. These sleds w/some elbow grease can really rock. We used to really upset some people with newer "faster" sleds.

You can pick up used clutches from swap meets, and go to the guys at Reichard's Performance for the set up.

#6 ·
Classic, I used a PSI single pipe (now using PSI twins) Dail-A-Jets, cold air kit, w/PSI weights/spring, and a Yamaha helix 45*/39*, w/96 studs. Make sure that you put new buttons in the secondary! On my helix I sprayed it w/a moly lube I got from the guys in the engine room (FMC) baked it in the oven (big mistake, unless you like food that tastes Sh***y!) and polished it lightly, w/600 wet paper. I also used a top cog belt.

This was totally low buck, but worked great! My buddy bought a Vmax 600 w/the GYT kit installed, I thought he would own me. We were up at my house at Houghton Lake and went riding and came up on a long straight road. We lined up, took off and ran dead even, he had to crouch down to pass me. I looked at the speedo and it read 102 still sitting up. My other buddy watched, and he never let him live it down. Probably was the pipe, clutching, light weight of the sled that got him. Still a great trail set up too.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info Lucky! I'm running a PSI single, cold air kit, modified Y-pipe (20mm shorter - good for 4hp on a stock motor according to Dynotech report), and 38mm flatslides from a 600 Vmax. I'm estimating 93-95hp. My plan is to start with the weights & spring spec'd on the EX SX and play around from there (also switched to YVXC primary from an EX II). I'll be running a roller secondary, so no buttons to worry about! Just looking for some other primary set-ups to campare to.

Angus

#8 ·
Form what I'm told the smaller angles work better on the roller secondaries, not sure what spring you can use maybe the green? The one you have is probably close if the helix for an EX II is already in it. Do you know the angle on it? Who's roller is it?

Try looking at the spacer off a SRX 700 secndary, it already has the longer bolt you'll need (got mine off Right now). Slide the secondary on it and measure, I"ll check the length on mine tonight/tomorrow.

Have you got an aliginement tool for the clutches? If not find someone in yoour area, it's not something you'll use everyday (I'll be borrowing my buddies tonight to set mine back up).

#9 ·
It's a Hymark bolt-on roller set-up (roller cage & helix) I'm bolting on a secondary from a '95. I don't actually have it yet - still in transit, so I'm not 100% sure what the angle is. I'm getting 4 different springs, so there will be some playing around for sure on the set-up.

It would be great if you could tell me how long your spacer is. I am getting a machine shop I deal with to turn one for me now - I asked for 6" (guessed at that length) and was going to cut it to length when I've got my hands on the sled (I live in the city and my sled is at home - 4 hrs away). Will the bolt from an SRX be the right length? Again, this was something I was going to figure out once I got home.

I appreciate the help Lucky!

Angus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.