Polaris rxl 650 triple efi lighting issues! - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Polaris General Discussion This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. This is a 100% NO BASH ZONE. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

Sponsored By: Reevu Rear-Vision Helmets & Altimate Boots

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 02:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Polaris rxl 650 triple efi lighting issues!

Okay fellas, here's another lighting question. Hopefully I can get some cheap advice. ) I've got a 91 Polaris triple with efi where the lights, tach and handwarmers are shot. Unless I'm going full throttle, they're always off (except the headlight being very dim.) I had to change the chain due to it breaking last season, but while I was doing it I dropped a flathead right across the battery terminals causing an arc. Is it just coincidental that the stator is bad all of a sudden, or did I fry something? The sled runs great otherwise. I was wondering if I fried the voltage regulator if that's even possible. Any input would be awesome! Thanks guys.
Cheers!
Fetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 AXYS SB Anniverary 800, 2000 XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): 2003 XCR 1100, 98 XCR racer, 2005 Redline Revolt 800.
Favorite Riding Area: Cadillac, Gaylord
Riding Since: 1982

Did this start to happen right after the battery was shorted?

You may have fried the battery. If so, the lighting system may not be able to keep the battery charged and run the other stuff. Did you replace the battery?

Also, try disconnecting the voltage regulator to see if the lights and everything start working again. DO NOT REV THE ENGINE as it can blow the light bulbs.
If this works, then replace the voltage regulator.
patrioticinnovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Polaris split the 2 lighting coils on the RXLs and used one to charge the battery and the other to run the lights and grips. It was fairly common to burn up the coil that powered up the lights and easy to replace just the coil, not the stator. Like patroitic said unplug the regulator at a low idle first and see if things brighten up first.
dflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick replies pat and dflan! I'll give that a try, I'll have to let it run for awhile so it's warm, otherwise it'll Rev high when cold. Patriotic: if the battery were fried would the efi not pump before starting? Because it starts second pull every time. Plus I can hear the pump pushing fluid before start up. Dflan: where is the lighting coil located? I'm afraid you're going to say in the stator. Lol I've been in a 75 jdx8 and that was a chore pulling the flywheel. I'll get back to you guys this weekend. Hopefully I'll have some time to check out the VR.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetta View Post
Thanks for the quick replies pat and dflan! I'll give that a try, I'll have to let it run for awhile so it's warm, otherwise it'll Rev high when cold. Patriotic: if the battery were fried would the efi not pump before starting? Because it starts second pull every time. Plus I can hear the pump pushing fluid before start up. Dflan: where is the lighting coil located? I'm afraid you're going to say in the stator. Lol I've been in a 75 jdx8 and that was a chore pulling the flywheel. I'll get back to you guys this weekend. Hopefully I'll have some time to check out the VR.
The battery is needed to briefly spin the fuel pump for cold starting, so it's probably okay.

Yes, the battery charging and lighting coils are part of the stator as DFlan stated. I knew of the two separate systems on later RXLs but wasn't sure if it was also on the 91. The 96 and 97 RXL wiring schematic shows the battery charging system has a combination voltage regulator and a rectifier for DC current.

The lighting system has just a voltage regulator.

So, first unplug the yellow wire at that VR to see if it is shorting too much current out. If no change is seen, then it can be a shorted or partially broken wire leading to the hood area or a poor ground wire. The brown wire is ground.

If no problem is found, then do an ohm test of the lighting coil wires at the connector near the engine. Yellow to brown should be .2 - .4 ohms resistance.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '11 IQ Turbo, '12 Pro-R 800
Previous Sled(s): '02 Pro-X 1050
Favorite Riding Area: Where the snow is....
13-14 Mileage: 6350
12-13 Mileage: 4500
11-12 Mileage: 2600
10-11 Mileage: 4900
Riding Since: 1976

I agree the first check should be the voltage regulator, next do an ohm check on the stator to be sure it isn't "open". If you do pull the stator out for inspection, make sure the ground connection on the coil is good. I've seen a couple of them with the ground connection (to the stator plate) broken from vibration. Pulling the stator isn't that bad on those motors if you have to go there, just some disassembly time.
orville-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default Lighting

Okay, I got to checking the vr finally. It made no difference unplugging it. The lights are still dead. Patriotic you mentioned .2 to .4 ohms; I assume that is while the sled is not running correct? And that is testing whether the lighting part of the stator is working? I appreciate the quick replies guys. I'll get back to you! I hate checking for broken wires!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

I forgot to mention though, that I did happen to check voltage from the battery. It reads 9.71v, and when it's running (at idle) it reads 9.43. Could the sled be trying to charge this thing and not have enough to power accessories? Just a thought, again I have no schematic for the lighting/charging system.

Sent from Snowmobile.com Free App
Old 07-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetta View Post
Okay, I got to checking the vr finally. It made no difference unplugging it. The lights are still dead. Patriotic you mentioned .2 to .4 ohms; I assume that is while the sled is not running correct? And that is testing whether the lighting part of the stator is working? I appreciate the quick replies guys. I'll get back to you! I hate checking for broken wires!
Yes, while not running. If unplugging the VR had no effect, then there is either a broken or shorted yellow wire, a broken/poorly connected ground wire, or a bad stator.

As far as battery voltage goes, I doubt that your meter is accurate, as it shouldn't even run with only 9.7 volts DC. The minimum required is 12.4V at room temp. Make sure your meter is set on 12V DC voltage (not AC) when checking the charging system after the rectifier/regulator. When checking the lighting system, it must be on 12V AC. Also, if the meter reads lower when running than when off, you probably have a bad stator or rectifier/regulator.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, just decided to take it to a shop. I'm done messing with it, especially in the heat. Polaris dealer in keiler, wi. Hopefully they do good work. Thanks again fellas.

Sent from Snowmobile.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement