clutch slipping! - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Polaris General Discussion This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. This is a 100% NO BASH ZONE. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

Sponsored By: Reevu Rear-Vision Helmets & Altimate Boots

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Default clutch slipping!

hey folks, wondering if u all could help me here. 2001 RMK 800 151" My belt slips under load but only at mid throttle when u get in deep snow. it is probably doing it on take off and full throttle but mid throttle is where it is very evident. i had both clutches rebuilt and set to factory spec, one piece engine mount plate installed, all belt/clutch measurements are correct according to the polaris manual. cannot get this to stop happening. got about $500 racked up in labor costs for clutch work and still slipping. normally i do all my own work, but had to get it done due to time restraints and not really being a clutch guy LOL. I need some help to get me back on the trails! season is nearing the end and I wanna ride!! Any ideas will be appreciated!!!!
acerulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): twisters, RV, SRX, ultra, 98-7, kawi racer
Previous Sled(s): to many to list
11-12 Mileage: 2 laps
Riding Since: 1977

What are stock specs for the 01 800rmk? 136 or 144 track I think? With the longer track you will have to change something in the clutching or gearing and set up for elevation. Where are you riding?
ridin' again? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

its probably not enough driven clutch spring tension? i don't have any spec's on that sled. is it a button driven or team roller?
northstarrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '11 Assault Switchback
Previous Sled(s): too many to choose from

button
00 XCR800 - Pro-X rear skid w/lowered front arm, otherwise stock. My trail rocket
99 XC700SP - 12000 miles - needs work
97 XLT SKS 2up got it for free - 13000 miles and still runs good
ivar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Advanced Member

ya its a button. the helix was worn down so we replaced the internals and used the old spring, had it maxed on #5 position and was a bit better. put a new spring in and put it on #2 position where it was in the first place and actually got a bit worse. going out tonight and gunna clean the disc surfaces up and make sure that all the measurements are proper, then maybe try tightening the spring a bit and see where that takes me.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Current Sled(s): Indy 340, Bravo 650
Previous Sled(s): Switchback 600
Favorite Riding Area: The Gravel Pit
11-12 Mileage: 2300

if its snow melting you can get frogzskin which lets air in but its water proof...pretty epic huh?
FrankieJames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): twisters, RV, SRX, ultra, 98-7, kawi racer
Previous Sled(s): to many to list
11-12 Mileage: 2 laps
Riding Since: 1977

Looked up the stock 151 stuff. Didn't realize they offered a track that big in 01. Stock called for almond spring and 10-60's in primary and R8 with silver/blue secondary. Should be a good combo. Is that what's in it now?
ridin' again? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Advanced Member

well, didnt have to tear into the secondary........I had my primary rebuilt last march, a total of 300 miles since, and the bushings for the weights are worn, weights are digging into the spider and the damn assh*le never put any washers for the rollers so they have been digging into the clutch as well. pretty sure now this is where my issues are. found a whole new level of pissed off i tell ya! gunna be going into the repair shop tomorrow and tear this hack a new one!!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Advanced Member

got silver/blue in secondary, originally had this spring, replaced with OEM. primary had a white spring since new with 10/64's in it.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '11 Assault Switchback
Previous Sled(s): too many to choose from

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerulz View Post
found a whole new level of pissed off i tell ya! gunna be going into the repair shop tomorrow and tear this hack a new one!!!!
too bad

(thats why I do my own work....)
00 XCR800 - Pro-X rear skid w/lowered front arm, otherwise stock. My trail rocket
99 XC700SP - 12000 miles - needs work
97 XLT SKS 2up got it for free - 13000 miles and still runs good
ivar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement