chaincase oil?? - Page 3 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Polaris General Discussion This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. This is a 100% NO BASH ZONE. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

Sponsored By: Reevu Rear-Vision Helmets & Altimate Boots

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2000 XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): 2002 Pro-X Fan
Favorite Riding Area: anywhere is good for me
12-13 Mileage: zilch
11-12 Mileage: zero
10-11 Mileage: zip

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee_c View Post
Just a question. I checked my Chaincase dipstick for the 1st time today (oops). I got the sled back in 2007 and have put 1300 miles on it. It now has just under 3000miles on it.

Anyways it was at the lower mark of the safe level. My friend has some SCL in his garage and I borrowed some (as today is Sunday, and the dealer was closed).

It definitely seems to pour easier than what I would have thought an 80W oil would have poured. Surprising little 'smell' compared to other transmission type fluids that I have experience with. (non snowmobile maintenance)

What's your take on the viscosity of it?

Peter
You know, that is a good question.

The reason for the lack of smell, would be the lack of sulfur, an additive for ep (extreme pressure) compatibility. Earlier, I mentioned the ATF lacked ep additives (which it does), but a chain case really doesn't need them. I should have simply said that ATF doesn't have the
high temp protection.

As for your question on viscosity, as of right now I can't offer a good explanation. Simply going by their listed cold flow numbers, they should be compatible. Keep in mind that two oils with the same "w" or "XX" (the second number) won't necessarily be the same at all temps. They are standardized at a given temp for their "w" rating, and often between two lubes, one will be thicker until the standard temp. Using an engine oil as an example, Castrol's European Syntec 0w-30 is typically thicker than most 5w-30's until a very low temp, where it will then surpass the typical 5w and offer better pumpabillity and flow. What I'm getting at is that depending on the additives and other chemicals, an oil may act differently than another supposedly similar oil until you place them in an extreme.

Gone But Not Forgotten
IAPro-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '04 Polaris Trail Touring 550F
10-11 Mileage: 500+ miles

When I pulled the dipstick out of to check the Lube, the magnet on the end of it had a lot of fine metal shavings on it. Is this normal?

2nd, I assuming that the metal shavings are giving the lube a dark grey colour. Is this normal? or a sign of poor maintenance?

I just topped up the lube, but looks like I should probably change it. I can follow the basic schematic from [ridin again?]'s post and drain it. I wonder of there is a slurry of old lube/metal shavings at the bottom of the chaincase.

I have a 2004 Polaris 550 Fan with 3000 miles on it. I do not know when the chaincase lube was last serviced. I also can't seem to find my owner's manual....

P
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #23 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '11 Assault Switchback
Previous Sled(s): too many to choose from

petee, in your case , I'd pull the pipe + chaincase cover, to inspect and clean it out.

As for using "any ol' lube" in the chaincase, thats what the local dealers did here for years, regular semi-synthetic 10W-40 engine oil.
No idea what they're using now though.

Not sure if it was related, but a couple years ago, on a longer outback expedition, 4 out of 5 Bearcat 660 turbo's had chaincase failure leaving them stranded... curious what they were using for lube...
00 XCR800 - Pro-X rear skid w/lowered front arm, otherwise stock. My trail rocket
99 XC700SP - 12000 miles - needs work
97 XLT SKS 2up got it for free - 13000 miles and still runs good
ivar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: city streets of burton MI

Yeah, just whatever you do, for the love of god, don`t just throw anything in there..no dice on tranny fluid either...use a quality name brand full synthetic oil..either what the OEM book calls for, or.....mobile 1 full synthetic GL-5 LS...

sorry guys, being he mentioned "2004".. I just can`t resist...I`ve been using Full synthetic mobile 1 GL-5 LS in one of my sleds since 2004 (the year i got it)..it`s NOT a small CC machine, and most defiantly gets a work out..anyway, i have yet to see even a hint of a metal shaving...I do change it atleast every other year..but still have never found even a hint of a metal shaving..
God himself could`nt talk me into running anything else...
now let me knock on wood!!!!..LOL
Fixerupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #25 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): 600RR

i always pull the cover off the chain case and clean it good with some break clean, but watch for the cover gasket, break clean might dry it out some.
And put in polaris chain case oil in, much better than the amsoil brand i've used
ridingpolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #26 (permalink)

Favorite Riding Area: friends farm or local lake
Riding Since: 19

Amsoil has a recommendations list builder that u can save for future look ups
if u want info i would be more than happy to help all i need to know is type of year make engine on all your toys yes i can help on your cars and trucks too
please send inquiries via pm i would like to offer assistance this way til i can get my vendor status

Brian Heath
allpurposeoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #27 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '04 Polaris Trail Touring 550F
10-11 Mileage: 500+ miles

Took off the exhaust last night on my 550F and took off the crankcase cover. It looked surprisingly clean. Man the drain bolt was was on surprisingly tight.

A couple of the exhaust springs were a bugger to get off. with my coat hanger wire thingy

THere was a lot of slack on the non tensioner side of the chain, and I probably turned the adjuster at least 2 full turns to take it out.

Polaris SCL is now tinted blue it seems. I will check the level tonight before I head out.

P
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #28 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 600 xcsp 50th
Previous Sled(s): All of the big 4
Favorite Riding Area: Quebec or anywhere else
12-13 Mileage: 500-600
11-12 Mileage: hardly any
10-11 Mileage: not enough
Riding Since: 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee_c View Post
Took off the exhaust last night on my 550F and took off the crankcase cover. It looked surprisingly clean. Man the drain bolt was was on surprisingly tight.

A couple of the exhaust springs were a bugger to get off. with my coat hanger wire thingy

THere was a lot of slack on the non tensioner side of the chain, and I probably turned the adjuster at least 2 full turns to take it out.

Polaris SCL is now tinted blue it seems. I will check the level tonight before I head out.

P
Blue? gotta get me a new bottle as last year was it. Thats all i've used or ac hyvo chaincase oil. No issues with either.
too slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #29 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Favorite Riding Area: city streets of burton MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRod View Post
you need Polaris HYVO lube on your polaris HYVO chain
should polaris "HYVO" lube be used in chevy car/truck engine also???

http://www.morsetec.com/HP_eng.pdf

or how about motorcycle engines?? (who`s tranny shares the same oil as the motor)
http://www.ehow.com/list_7638126_typ...le-chains.html

not trying to be a smart azz here, but I think often "chaincase" oil is over rated..
the type of chains in modern sleds, has been around a LONG time..hell, I have a couple vintage sleds that have them in them...
their not some new cutting edge technoligy...their just a fancy chains basically, that needs lubed...
long before the dealers started labeling thier own bottle, they simply recomended either motor oil, or regular 80/90 gear lube for example..these days their are several options including synthetic oils...so as long as someone atleast uses a quality name/brand oil, there should`nt be any problems..
but to think that one MUST use the polaris brand oil for a chan that is used in MANY applications and been around ALOT longer then the polaris brand oil has, just gets me..

Last edited by Fixerupper; 02-09-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Fixerupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2015 pro s 800, 2010 boosted fst dragon
Previous Sled(s): xcr 1100 xcr800
Favorite Riding Area: waters mi.
13-14 Mileage: 1500
12-13 Mileage: 1400
11-12 Mileage: 1200
10-11 Mileage: 1200
Riding Since: 1973

i did a little asking around and a little research before i stoped getting ripped off at the stealership several years ago, i ended up the auto parts store buying mobil one gear oil. that was several years and a dozen sleds ago, have used it in everything from a 488 fan to my xcr1100, still using it today, never a problem. now granted iam a little fussy with my toys and its not just a money thing, its just that you know polaris does not make there own gear oil nor did they invent the stuff, that being said there just has to be other lubes that do the same thing , such as mobil one ,for less money because polaris is not making there 800% profit on it by putting there name on the bottle.
westernstar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement