Cylinder head bolt torque - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Polaris General Discussion This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. This is a 100% NO BASH ZONE. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

Sponsored By: Reevu Rear-Vision Helmets & Altimate Boots

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I sold my 1991 Indy 500 back up sled to my brother inlaw finally after three years of nagging. For the last three years it has not been used, just brought out of storage, prepaired for the season and then sat there all winter waiting to be used. End of season it was fogged and put away. As for the sled history, it was bought in really rough shape back in 2003 and I did a complete restore job except for the engine which seem pretty tight. I rode it like I stole it for 2 yars and 2000 miles before the head gasket went on it. At that time not knowing what condition the engine was really in I decided to do a complete overhaul top to bottom. New crank bearings, fresh bore, etc. Rode it again for another 1000 plus miles trouble free and then purchased a 2005 700 rmk. The old girl was never to be used again.
Anyway I brought it out of storage this year did the pre season cleaning of the carbs, clutches, greased everything and let the brother inlaw take it home . 10 miles into his first ride it starts losing power and the antifreeze starts disappearing. He brought it back and I figured head gaskets again so I pulled the head and cylinders , new gaskets and torqued the head to 18 ft pounds ( manual says 17-19 ftlb) Fired it up and let it come up to temperature ,coolant was flowing and no leaks, problem solved . Retorqued the heads for good measure , couple of nuts turned and most were good. We took the sled for a good run just to check everything over and all was good so it looked. The next morning there was a trail of antifreeze running down the cylinder again and I was thinking warped head but can't figure out why because it was always good and never overheated. I checked the cylinder nuts and the nuts needed to be retorqued again. I got him to drive it to the house so I could look it over again. When he arrived everythig was dry but the nuts needed to be done again.

Here is the question what can I do to stop this. Can I torque them higher or should I used blue loc tite. I don't think new nuts will help. These are in good shape and not stripped.

Sorry for the long read.
nitris223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): The Frankenstein
Favorite Riding Area: Anywhere there is snow.
10-11 Mileage: 660
Riding Since: 1992

Quote:
I sold my 1991 Indy 500 back up sled to my brother inlaw finally after three years of nagging. For the last three years it has not been used, just brought out of storage, prepaired for the season and then sat there all winter waiting to be used. End of season it was fogged and put away. As for the sled history, it was bought in really rough shape back in 2003 and I did a complete restore job except for the engine which seem pretty tight. I rode it like I stole it for 2 yars and 2000 miles before the head gasket went on it. At that time not knowing what condition the engine was really in I decided to do a complete overhaul top to bottom. New crank bearings, fresh bore, etc. Rode it again for another 1000 plus miles trouble free and then purchased a 2005 700 rmk. The old girl was never to be used again.
Anyway I brought it out of storage this year did the pre season cleaning of the carbs, clutches, greased everything and let the brother inlaw take it home . 10 miles into his first ride it starts losing power and the antifreeze starts disappearing. He brought it back and I figured head gaskets again so I pulled the head and cylinders , new gaskets and torqued the head to 18 ft pounds ( manual says 17-19 ftlb) Fired it up and let it come up to temperature ,coolant was flowing and no leaks, problem solved . Retorqued the heads for good measure , couple of nuts turned and most were good. We took the sled for a good run just to check everything over and all was good so it looked. The next morning there was a trail of antifreeze running down the cylinder again and I was thinking warped head but can't figure out why because it was always good and never overheated. I checked the cylinder nuts and the nuts needed to be retorqued again. I got him to drive it to the house so I could look it over again. When he arrived everythig was dry but the nuts needed to be done again.

Here is the question what can I do to stop this. Can I torque them higher or should I used blue loc tite. I don't think new nuts will help. These are in good shape and not stripped.

Sorry for the long read.[/b]

Are they studs or bolts??

I would start off with new studs or bolt first, and make sure the threads in the block are good. No reason I can think of to not use some form of thread locker on the nuts.

polaris bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would start off with new studs or bolt first, and make sure the threads in the block are good. No reason I can think of to not use some form of thread locker on the nuts.[/b]
I was thinking along the same lines. I know it is possible for bolts to "go plastic" which means they have been stretched too far and now stretch very easy until they break - they no longer have the tensil strength they did when new.
makintrax73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 09 Apex LTX 10 Vector LTX 96 500SKS
Previous Sled(s): 96Ultra 95XLTSP 72 440TNT 73 SW433 69 Panther 399
Favorite Riding Area: Central/North MN
13-14 Mileage: 2500
12-13 Mileage: 1595
11-12 Mileage: Big Fat 0
10-11 Mileage: 1300
Riding Since: 1976

Hey nitris223,

If you used a Winderosa head gasket, it did the same thing on my 96 500. I just kept torquing until it took a set. Unfortuately, like you, I waited too long between torquings and lost the gasket any way. I don't know how an OEM or Cometic would fare though....

If the studs are stretching or pulling out of the block you should be able to see it or have problems running the nuts down through the whole threaded part of the stud with the head off. It is unlikely that the stud would stretch on the thicker untreaded part of it, providing there is some.

Also - make sure your torque wrench is reasonably calibrated. Test it with a fish scale to get a rough idea of where it is at. Example: if the wrench is 1.5 ft long and you are looking for 18 lb-ft of torque, the fish scale should read 12 lbs of force when the wrench is at torque or "clicks" when the fish scale is pulling on the outer length of the handle.

Good luck!

Steve

BTW: Using a thread locker will make retorqing impossible to get correct as the locker will prevent the torque wrench from reading properly once it has set up. I would stay away from that if I could.
engineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2003 Edge XC 600
Previous Sled(s): 1986 Polaris 250, and 2005 340 Classic
Favorite Riding Area: Around the area of Flin Flon
11-12 Mileage: 250
10-11 Mileage: 550
Riding Since: 1995

could also be coolant leaking up through the head bolts. when the motor cools the metal contracts and causes tight seals to become.. well not so tight. I know on my 600 the torque for head bolts is 24-25 ft lbs. Maybe ur under torqueing?
I would put thread sealant on the head bolts... or blue loctite?
framer__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
HSR
Administrator

Current Sled(s): john deere
Favorite Riding Area: snow

Had this happen to me before and in my case it was the dowl pin on the cyl was pulled out a bit and cocked.I would torque it down as by the time it warmed up it would leak,retorque,no leak,,,run,,,leak.I removed the head and tapped the dowl pin all the way in and re installed.
Steve
HSR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:

I would start off with new studs or bolt first, and make sure the threads in the block are good. No reason I can think of to not use some form of thread locker on the nuts.[/b]

They are studs in the cylinder and have never been out to my knowledge. I am going to check my torque wrenches. I have 2 of them 3/8'' drive and 1/2'' drive. I might try 22 ftlb and see if that works. If not I will try thread sealent first and loc tite as a last resort.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2005 600 Sdi
Previous Sled(s): 2007 440 IQr, 2002 ski-doo legend 600
Riding Since: 8

Do they have the washers under them and i torque all me head nuts to 25 ft-lbs with no problems.
geneticsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

No washers, they are a castle nut I think it's what they are called with the washer built in.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): polaris/skidoo/yamaha
Previous Sled(s): all models
Favorite Riding Area: the county
10-11 Mileage: whos
Riding Since: 1978

try teflon paste on the shank of the head bolts after all the retorquing you may need a new gasket too.
nlg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement