Dash lights out & brake light not working - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Polaris General Discussion This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. This is a 100% NO BASH ZONE. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

Sponsored By: Reevu Rear-Vision Helmets & Altimate Boots

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Thumbs up

The lights on that illuminate the dash (premium switch, high beam, brake light and temp light indicators) do not work. neither does the brake light. What direction should I take in looking for the cause of this? I'm thinking that none of the sensors are getting power, so I'm gonna look in that direction tommorrow. I need help and any suggestions would be greatly appriceated. If anyone has a wiring diagram to to post here that would help me out great.
lifttillithurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2009, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Black sled
Previous Sled(s): red, blue, green, and yellow.

Check all electrical connections, but it could be the lighting side of the stator. Does the headlight and tach still work?
Last run 04/22/11 83 miles Mount Fronsac
stormtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Yes, Headlight works, hi-beams work, tach works, tail lights work (not brake light) even the indicator light for the hand warmers, just not the dash lights.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I've got basically the *exact* same problem, only on a different sled. '00 Gen-II XC600. No premium switch, high beam, brake light and temp light indicators on the dash work (actually they work *very* faintly if the RPMs are above ~4k), brake-light doesn't work either. My tach and speedo work fine, as do the gauges' backlights, high/low beams, and hand/thumb warmers. Sled still runs fine. I've had this now for the last 1.5 seasons and am still troubleshooting (albeit somewhat casually).

I have gone through the entire wiring (or so I believe) and checked/cleaned all grounds - no change. Looking at the wiring diagram for my sled all of these common items / failures were tied back to the voltage regulator so I was 'hoping' that it was going bad - bought a replacement and swapped it, but no change with the gauge/tail lights.

Basically the only electrical items left that these are all tied to (again, at least according to my wiring diagram for my '00) are:
- Brake light switch (at brake-lever) <--- This would explain no brake-light on gauge and no brake light.... But doesn't explain the others.
- Key switch for prem/reg fuel <--- Doubtful this is the issue.
- Stator <--- Hoping this is not the issue. Plus there are other items on the same circuit from the stator that function properly (such as the tail-lights). So this one has me perplexed.
- CDI Box connector <--- ?? Not sure how this would cause the issue.

So, in a nutshell, I too am somewhat stumped for the time being. And I refuse to start throwing 'new' parts at it blindly (and wasting $$). If it is wiring or connector related, I do have a spare full wiring harness I can swap on.

Could a "dirty" stator possibly cause the issue, yet not affect other functions / circuits from the stator?

2003 Polaris Pro-X 800
Mods: SLP Performance Edition & More....
xc600syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I'm close to ruling out the stator. Following the wiring diagram leads, the headlights and tail lights run off the same circuit that the dash lights run off. Currently the headlights are bright and work good. I need to do some tests, one is to while its running, ground the brown lead on the temp sensor harness to see if the light comes on. Another is to check for voltage today at the brake switch and under at the oil reservoir. If there is no voltage I'm gonna trace the leads back and see where they are disconnected. If there is voltage there, I'm gonna look under the hood at the connectors and see if for some freak reason I had a voltage spike and it killed the bulbs. The hand warmers work, even the indicator light that lets you know they are on lights up.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

If we share a common problem, I think you will find that the gauge-bulbs are not burnt-out. I've checked my brake-light and found the bulb was fine. And I know the gauge-lights are ok due to watching this issue 'appear' over the last 1-2 years, watching the high-beam indicator, brake-indicator, and premium-indicator lights all "flicker" now and then, getting now to the point that they don't illuminate.

I need to find my Pro-X wiring diagram and compare it to my Gen-II - and see if the two are common enough (wire-colors / routing) so we can discuss further with wire-color specifics.

In my wiring, the tail-lights share a common ground (brown) with the brake-light. However, the tail-lights are powered by a 'yellow' which also has the following on the same wire: low oil sender, temp indicator, premium fuel indicator, and is fed from the voltage regulator. I know the VR is functional, so 'yellow' is getting power (also as evidenced by the functional tail-lights). The only item between the VR and the brake-light indicator (preventing the indicator from getting power) is the brake-switch at the brake lever (orange wire). If that is bad, the circuit to the brake-indicator and brake-light would not be receiving power....and would explain those two issues.

What then doesn't jive is the fact that the high-beam, premium-fuel etc indicator lights aren't tied to that orange-wire. Instead they seem to all have mutually independent sources, pointing to the stator and/or left handlebar switch asm.

Honestly, about the only 'common' item for all of these issues to be linked is via the brown-ground wiring. But darn it, I've checked the engine and chassis grounds a year ago with no findings.

2003 Polaris Pro-X 800
Old 01-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Did I mention that I hate electrical problems?

Give me a run-down of what you've checked thus far, and let's see what notes we can compare.

2003 Polaris Pro-X 800
Old 01-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I've found part of the problems problems, The bulbs were burnt out, D'oh. I replaced the bulbs, but everything works except the indicator that tells you when the high beams are on or off. I'm not even getting voltage to the light socket. I'm gonna take the harness apart tomorrow and see where I might have an open circuit.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Luckier than me! I started doing the same thing again today. I did find that my premium-bulb was burnt-out, but the others are all still fine (including brake light). I haven't yet re-looked at my wiring diagram, but I'm hoping it somewhat simplifies what the problem(s) on mine might be.

So....you've got all your dash-lights and rear-brake light workin'? If so, great!!!

2003 Polaris Pro-X 800
Old 01-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Finally got them working. I'm gonna do some research and find out a heavy duty application bulb. I guess the color inside the bulb tells you the wattage. As for the hi/low beam indicator. I'm stumped. I searched everything and still nothing. I will make due with what I have for now. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement