Help!!! 800 cdi on 700? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Polaris General Discussion This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. This is a 100% NO BASH ZONE. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

Sponsored By: Reevu Rear-Vision Helmets & Altimate Boots

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Thumbs up

is there any way that i can run an 04' 800ves cdi box on an 02' 700 ves. any help or info would be great. Thanks Mike
marne xc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 04:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
is there any way that i can run an 04' 800ves cdi box on an 02' 700 ves. any help or info would be great. Thanks Mike[/b]
it'll get you home in an emergency, but i would not run it full time. you can send it in and get it re-mapped for about $70 to fit your application. the timing curves are different, also the '04 CDI has a built in timing retard for high temp. there are lots of places to send it, SLP, Pro5, Polaris Race Dept, etc. etc. the wrong timing curve will play hell with your jetting, it'll run lean if it's advanced and rich if it's retarded. the main problem lines with mid range timing, most guys jet for wide open. if you are running good at WFO and the timing is more advanced in the mid range, then you run the risk of burning down at part throttle. since the 700 and 800 have different crank strokes, the timing curves will be different as well. here is a great site for cross referencing parts http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp it will give you the ability to see if the part numbers are the same. usually different numbers for the same year = different parts. year to year part numbers can change though.

ps: i ran the '03 700 and 800 pro-x cdi, they are different as i thought. hope this helps you out, Brian.
AKRAY4PLAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '11 Assault Switchback
Previous Sled(s): too many to choose from

Quote:
also the '04 CDI has a built in timing retard for high temp.[/b]
The 02 also retards timing on hi temp, but the 04 got the detonation sensor if I remember correctly...?
00 XCR800 - Pro-X rear skid w/lowered front arm, otherwise stock. My trail rocket
99 XC700SP - 12000 miles - needs work
97 XLT SKS 2up got it for free - 13000 miles and still runs good
ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
The 02 also retards timing on hi temp, but the 04 got the detonation sensor if I remember correctly...?[/b]
ya i forgot about the deto sensor. anyway, if he needs a new CDI (stock 700 box bad), they can re-program the '04 box for a stock '02 700 box. or there is always ebay or the classifieds.
AKRAY4PLAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement