97 Polaris Idle Problem - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Polaris General Discussion This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. This is a 100% NO BASH ZONE. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

Sponsored By: Reevu Rear-Vision Helmets & Altimate Boots

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Have a 1997 Polaris XLT Special which has 5600 miles, about 1000 on complete rebuilt engine. Just came into possession of this sled. Problem is that once it's warmed up good, say 5-10 minutes of riding, it wants to idle around 4000 RPM. If I flip the choke on for a moment, it drops down to about 2-2200 RPM, but then wants to creep back up. When first started, it idles in that range, or maybe slightly lower. Adjusted air screws to one turn out. Sprayed eether (sp?) on carb necks and on clutch side of block with no change in RPM's, so no leaks there. Carbs have been sinc-ed. Had new choke cables installed and carbs gone through prior to receipt. Machine otherwise runs excellent. Any suggestions?
snad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Have a 1997 Polaris XLT Special which has 5600 miles, about 1000 on complete rebuilt engine. Just came into possession of this sled. Problem is that once it's warmed up good, say 5-10 minutes of riding, it wants to idle around 4000 RPM. If I flip the choke on for a moment, it drops down to about 2-2200 RPM, but then wants to creep back up. When first started, it idles in that range, or maybe slightly lower. Adjusted air screws to one turn out. Sprayed eether (sp?) on carb necks and on clutch side of block with no change in RPM's, so no leaks there. Carbs have been sinc-ed. Had new choke cables installed and carbs gone through prior to receipt. Machine otherwise runs excellent. Any suggestions?[/b]
turn the idle mix screw in, you are running lean.
if you turn it in all of the way and it still hangs, go one size larger with the pilot jet.
williewonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2006 600 RMK, 2000 XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): 1996 440 XCRSP
Favorite Riding Area: Northern Saskatchewan
12-13 Mileage: not enough
11-12 Mileage: not enough
10-11 Mileage: not enough
Riding Since: 1994

Turn the idle screws out more, to idle a bit lower. There is a sweet spot where it will want to idle higher once warm.
pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Turn the idle screws out more, to idle a bit lower. There is a sweet spot where it will want to idle higher once warm.[/b]
Thanks. I did do just that. I think I ended up around 5 turns out. Idle is now lower when warm (1900-2000 rpm). Too low when cold though. Air mix screw is at 1 turn out. I see the factory setting is 1.5 turns out, but my thinking was that the 4000 RPM reving may have something to do with being a little lean? Another thing that may help you help me is that when the machine is cold and I go to start it, I choke it a pull, it fires and runs for a few seconds, and then dies. I then have to slightly open the throttle, just a hair, and pull it (no choke at all) and it starts and runs, albeit with me reving it a little (RPMs too low to run otherwise). This doesn't seem quite right. I would expect to have to use the choke on half or something for a minute as it warmed up.
snad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Current Sled(s): XCR 800
Previous Sled(s): O.M. 1000, XCR 1253, XC1214, P.S.700
Favorite Riding Area: N.W. Wisconsin
13-14 Mileage: 1,864
12-13 Mileage: 767
Riding Since: 1959

Choke setting is rich or more likely needles and seats are leaking. Try starting in the morning with no choke, if it fires, you found the problem.

Don
XCR1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

My "new to me" 97 Indy 500 wants to idle at 4000 too. To make sure I understand the instructions above correctly:

To reduce idle speed: I can reduce the idle speed by turning out (counter clockwise) the knurled idle speed screw on each carb(perhaps in 1/8 turn increments) until the idle speed drops to where it should be (ie. 1800-2000 rpm). Please confirm this is a logical starting point for reducing the idle speed.

To enrichen the low speed mixture, I can turn out (counter clockwise) the air screw (Or does turning out make it leaner by adding more air?). Please confirm.

Next:How do I determine if the low speed air mixture is an issue? (perhaps more searching is needed here). As SNAD noted above, I want to ensure that a lean condition is not contributing to the high idle speed. Assuming the screws are set to the specified number of turns out (1 or 1.5, I'd have to look that up) is there a way of confirming whether or not the low speed air mix is contributing to the idle speed issue? Perhaps blipping the choke (I've never tried that) acts to reduce air/enrich mixtures o that it reduces rpms; and if that is the case, would that indicate a lean condition?
Other information to note: Plugs are nice tan colour; it sometimes wants to bog a wee bit on cold starts but never a bog when warm; has on occasion emitted a exhaust "pop" backfire on shut down after high speed riding.
Any advice/tips you can provide before I outsource this issue would be appreciated!
silversledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 05 Arctic Cat F6
Previous Sled(s): 09 Polaris D8

not sure, I had an idle problem with my 2005 Switchback. People were telling me for things to check out.
It ended up being the carburetor boots. The clamp that holds them on were total loose. I tightened them back up and I was good to go. So it was sucking in more air then it was supposed to.