Hardcore Sledder banner

Very good info on 800 crank failures

206K views 118 replies 72 participants last post by  Lexuslover 
#1 ·
Alot of you may find this very helpful/useful in understanding your crank/case problems, and how the tough boy kits and those ebay kits are in fact more of a band-aid rather than a solution:

Snowest Topic from Indydan

#27 ·
I have a 03 rmk 800 and when my storage shed was broke into they started it up and left it idle and it seized...... so i need to replace the jugs and pistons and I am gunna have the crank bearings looked at also but would you think that the crank would be in Jeopardy at all?

#30 ·
First off, thank you Indy Dan for all the great information on the Polaris 800 twins. It is much appreciated. You seem to have really done your homework and are honest and forthright.

I have a 2003 Pro X 800 with 5,000 miles on it.
Crank went in March of this year.
Connecting rod pin failed on the PTO side.
I bought the thing new in Feb. of 2004, so it only 3 years and 1 month. That is not acceptable!!

IMO...You can't win with these 800 Polaris twins.
You try to harness the horsepower by studding, clutching, gearing, etc, etc, etc...........
Add push arms & torque arms so the motor mounts don't break.
What happens...........yep. da crank goes out on ya.
I would say if you leave it totally bone stock and run it and I mean totally bone stock. Not even studs. It will last for 7 to 10 thousand miles.
As you guys know though these things are a pooch for a 800 when they are stock.
For starters, the stock jetting & clutching are a joke.

I don't know what to do, but Polaris has really pissed me off this time after being born and raised on Polaris and believing in Polaris quality.
Money is the issue here or I'd fix the dam thing.

Has anyone out there gotten a dime out of Polaris once the warranty is off for the 800 crank trouble?
I've starting trying but it doesn't look good.

#31 ·
Is this just happening on the older 800's? Because I called where I bought my sled and thats what they told me. Something about the balancer and when it vibreates it breaks a pin and the crank moves on the older motors. BTW...I have a 2005 800 switchback. (I know I said 2004 in my post b4).
They said they fixed that problem in the late 2004's and new 2005's. That I had the new set up and had nothing to worry about.
But like I said its a word of mouth thing.
And my sleds a beast being studded, new can, and an SLP air box and intake set up.

#34 ·
First off, thank you Indy Dan for all the great information on the Polaris 800 twins. It is much appreciated. You seem to have really done your homework and are honest and forthright.

I have a 2003 Pro X 800 with 5,000 miles on it.
Crank went in March of this year.
Connecting rod pin failed on the PTO side.
I bought the thing new in Feb. of 2004, so it only 3 years and 1 month. That is not acceptable!!

IMO...You can't win with these 800 Polaris twins.
You try to harness the horsepower by studding, clutching, gearing, etc, etc, etc...........
Add push arms & torque arms so the motor mounts don't break.
What happens...........yep. da crank goes out on ya.
I would say if you leave it totally bone stock and run it and I mean totally bone stock. Not even studs. It will last for 7 to 10 thousand miles.
As you guys know though these things are a pooch for a 800 when they are stock.
For starters, the stock jetting & clutching are a joke.

I don't know what to do, but Polaris has really pissed me off this time after being born and raised on Polaris and believing in Polaris quality.
Money is the issue here or I'd fix the dam thing.

Has anyone out there gotten a dime out of Polaris once the warranty is off for the 800 crank trouble?
I've starting trying but it doesn't look good.[/b]
For the most part, the 2000 800 crank all the way thru 2005 is the same in every way other then one thing. The ROD pin is suppose to be better. Buts its not. the rod pin has been good from the beginning. the crankcase has always been the problem.

Poor quality control and inconsistant assembly process.

Look at the difference between the to 800 Rod pins shown........

One pin has little to no web movement - Mag side Pin ( Not much load from the flywheel )

The other pin is ready to break, look at how much the web has been moving on the Rod pin........ PTO side pin ( Loose case and huge load from drive clutch. )

#35 ·
The tell tale to prove my point.

If you take a Polaris 800 watercraft crank apart the PTO rod pin looks just like the Mag side sled pin. ( Exact same crank )

The case fit on the watercraft motor is just as bad as the sleds, BUT the watercraft motor does not encounter the huge side load from a drive clutch.

This is why the PTO of the sled crank has to be as close to perfect as you can get it.

Dan

#36 ·
I have a 2004 700 Vertical Excape. It has 2000 kms on it. Should i be worreid? Do the 700's od this??
What has to be done to stop tthis?? I just want a simple answer, like u need to re bearing them with cum c3 bearings or sumthing?
tahnks

#39 ·
I have an 04 ProXR 800. The PTO side pin failed at 6,000 miles. Yesterday. I drove it home. I,m ordering new rod kits. All now berrings and the BIG berring and running it...All this was caused by a broken primary spring.[/b]
Broken primary spring my ass. Your crank failed because they are prone to fail. The primary spring didn't have a goddamn thing to do with it. Read the thread and listen to what "people who know" are telling you.

[attachment=400568:crank.jpg]
[attachment=400569:crank_1.jpg]

And before you all bitch about my attitude, he's my brother.

#40 ·
Get out of the Polaris thread!!!!! Just kidding. Probably wasn't caused by the primary spring. Since when did you get an XR???? I just got my crank rebuilt by SLP this summer with the big bearing upgrade. Knock on wood it lasts well because it is an awesome sled.

#41 ·
I have a 2004 700 Vertical Excape. It has 2000 kms on it. Should i be worreid? Do the 700's od this??
What has to be done to stop tthis?? I just want a simple answer, like u need to re bearing them with cum c3 bearings or sumthing?
tahnks[/b]
Paul, the simple answer IMO, Is that all 700/800 polaris motors should have the crankcases line bored. Even the few really good crankcases out there are better yet after they are done.

the amount of case twist is unbelieveable

Most crankcases bind on the dowel pins, and after they are machined flat and line bored they slip together so perfect and the crank turns so free ( Its funny after putting hundreds of motors together before line boring ) there were always ones that felt good & always ones that felt alittle suspect. After a crankcase has been lined bored and fit they all feel exactly the same when their done.

If it wasn't for the line boring & machining in the PTO lock Ring I wouldn't even consider putting a warranty on a polaris motor past a few months. If we completely rebuild the bottom-end we warranty them for 3 years.

In answer to your question Paul ............Its all up to you.

Dan

#42 ·
QUOTE(XRMAYNARD @ Dec 17 2007, 09:23 PM)
I have an 04 ProXR 800. The PTO side pin failed at 6,000 miles. Yesterday. I drove it home. I,m ordering new rod kits. All now berrings and the BIG berring and running it...All this was caused by a broken primary spring.

The spring had nothing to do with it as Top Gun said, NOTHING.

If you put that motor together with that PTO -end in the picture that crank will not stay straight for a day, and will fail again in half the time it did the first time ( chances are under 1000 miles ) way under.

The crank wheel pin opening is all woren out from driving it with a broken pin.

If you put it together your better buy a lucky rabbits foot. 10 of them.

#43 ·
I have an 04 ProXR 800. The PTO side pin failed at 6,000 miles. Yesterday. I drove it home. I,m ordering new rod kits. All now berrings and the BIG berring and running it...All this was caused by a broken primary spring.

If you put that motor together with that PTO -end in the picture that crank will not stay straight for a day, and will fail again in half the time it did the first time ( chances are under 1000 miles ) way under.

If you put it together your better buy a lucky rabbits foot. 10 of them.[/b]
Thank you Dan. I tried to explain this all to him but he is very frustrated and his vacation starts next week and he wants to ride. Even with a new crank it's going to fail in no time as before it was disassembled you could take the pto end and move it up & down inside the case "about" 1/8". Basically the line bore of the case is egg shaped. The case is screwed.

#44 ·
Thank you Dan. I tried to explain this all to him but he is very frustrated and his vacation starts next week and he wants to ride. Even with a new crank it's going to fail in no time as before it was disassembled you could take the pto end and move it up & down inside the case "about" 1/8". Basically the line bore of the case is egg shaped. The case is screwed.[/b]
Your Welcome, Top Gun you are correct. the new crank will be junk in a matter if minutes do to the fact that the case will give it little to no support on the PTO-end.

Click Link Below

Torque Master Bottom-End 3 Year Warranty

#45 ·

If you put it together your better buy a lucky rabbits foot. 10 of them.[/b]
Sorry Dan.. I,m very frustrated. Your absolutely correct about everything. I talked to my race engine guy today and told me everything that you said exactly.... Now, I bought a 05 800 engine Complete. 1,300 miles on it. What would you suggest I do with it? and how much is it to have you do all the stuff so it doesn,t happen again? Any info is a big help.Thanks Danny

#46 ·
Sorry Dan.. I,m very frustrated. Your absolutely correct about everything. I talked to my race engine guy today and told me everything that you said exactly.... Now, I bought a 05 800 engine Complete. 1,300 miles on it. What would you suggest I do with it? and how much is it to have you do all the stuff so it doesn,t happen again? Any info is a big help.Thanks Danny[/b]

I would say sell the motor you just bought and fix the one you wrecked. 99.9% of the time its cheaper and better the fix what you had why buy another persons junk chances are they got rid if it for a reason.

Or I will buy your old motor........ I think its best wwe chat alittle.

e-mail me your number and I will try and call you tomorrow.

indydan1@hotmail.com

#51 ·
I would say sell the motor you just bought and fix the one you wrecked. 99.9% of the time its cheaper and better the fix what you had why buy another persons junk chances are they got rid if it for a reason.

Or I will buy your old motor........ I think its best wwe chat alittle.

e-mail me your number and I will try and call you tomorrow.

indydan1@hotmail.com[/b]
DAN all ya need is the wider bearing , line bore and a good torque plate then you can put the horses to the ground'''' 14 year old tech,,,, I had legend performance and technologies do up my 3 cylinder polaris in 1994 , mark ziac is in traverse city mi. look him up he will set ya straight on polaris , still running the old 750 polaris never aproblem . have it set up to do willys out of the hole

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.