95 500efi to carb - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Polaris General Discussion This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. This is a 100% NO BASH ZONE. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

Sponsored By: Reevu Rear-Vision Helmets & Altimate Boots

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2006, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello;

My name is Adam and I just found this site while searching for info. I am in the process of trying to convert my 95 Indy 500efi to carbs because the computer decided to pack it in. I have a set of 38mm carbs and I also have a 98 500 carb which I am using as a jetting guideline. My problem is that the bolt pattern for the boots is different on the efi cylinders than my 98 carb. I was wondering if anyone has every done this before or if there are boots available for this conversion. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

btw, I did try searching first but only found info on RXL conversions.

Thanks

Adam
jalopy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2006, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Hey Adam-

Doing the same thing to my 95" RXL and you'll need to find some smaller diameter carb boots to fit the 38mm carbs but they need to have the same ctr/ctr mount hole distance.
The distance on the mount holes on the 500EFI cylinders should be 74.6mm I believe.
The cylinders from a carbed 500 and a 500 fuelie are different, the intake ports are bigger on the fuelie cylinders.

I might have the boots should you need a set.
Just double check the hole size (8mm?) and ctr/ctr distance. :div20:

Drew
Old 01-25-2006, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey man;

Thanks for the info, I actually found a set of universal boots by Kimpex locally. They carry the same part # as the Cat ones from the mid 90's. Thanks for the offer though.

Adam
jalopy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): MY15 600 SB Adventure 60th
Favorite Riding Area: Keeweenaw MI, Cooke City MT

Quote:
Originally posted by jalopy51@Jan 25 2006, 04:32 PM
Hey man;

* Thanks for the info, I actually found a set of universal boots by Kimpex locally.* They carry the same part # as the Cat ones from the mid 90's.* Thanks for the offer though.

Adam
<div align="right">
[/quote]

If you can't be smart yourself, have smart friends...

One of my smart friends has told me that

The '91-92 Indy 650 with 38mm carb, used the RXL cylinders (with wider intake boot mounting bolt spacing, to allow for the large intake opening).

so...

converting a 500 EFI or a 650 RXL to 38mm carburetors, just use the above intake boot:

3084228 carb adapter $45US

'07 600 IQ Cleanfire Switchback, SLP Power Pro skis, 144 x 1.22" Ice Attak XT full clip.
ExcursionPSD is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement