Hardcore Sledder banner

Pre Season to do list:

911 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  michahicks 
#1 ·
About that time to get ready for the season in upstate NY! Any pre season things y'all recommend to do to get the sled ready? Besides the obvious belts, grease, and fluids? I do not fog my sled through the summer, never been a fan and not sure I see any advantages to doing so, but I do drain the gas and grease it all down. Just wondering what everyone does before the season and see if I'm missing anything or anyone has any ideas I haven't thought of! Thanks in advance guys.

#2 ·
My pre season work consists of waxing it and heading out lol. All my service is done in the spring, so I'm totally ready for the following season.. It sounds like you've taken care of the necessities. Maybe check skid bolts for tightness, drain tank and throw in fresh premium, check the track for run out and tension, did you do a shock service? Maybe make sure they're tip top, rebound and dampening, others may throw more in...I also never fog,just run every few weeks to temperature.

#3 · (Edited)
Some of this stuff depends on how many miles are on sled.
Vent oil cap,inspect oil lines.
Clean clutch surfaces,check alinement,& deflection.
Replace belt?
Clean VES valves.
Check motor mounts.
Check all suspension bolts,grease idler bearings,check hyfax,& track alinement/tension.
R/R fuel filter.
Adjust chain,r/r fluid.
Check master cyl. fluid.
Spray lube all steering joints,check jam nuts & mountings.
Check all related a arm mountings.
Check throttle cable safety cut out free play.
:snack:

#5 ·
If you haven't had the ski bolts out recently, suggest you try removing them now. They have a habit of seizing to the bushings making them a nightmare to remove without destroying the skis. Finding seized bolts mid season a real "oh damn" moment. Zerk fittings there make a pretty nice mod, and while you're at it, drill a few holes through the bushings so grease can make it through them onto the bolts! Replacing rubber snubbers that haven't been replaced recently not a bad plan either. They generally were never that expensive.

While you're at it, shock bolts can do the same thing (seize to the bushings). The front ones, and the ones under the skid. Pulling those and their associated bushings, then cleaning and greasing all that can occupy a few hours as well....

I used to pull the secondary and pop the seal from the jack shaft, allowing for an inspection there. If all looks good (no rust!) pack some grease into it and snap the seal back into place. You can do the same thing to the drive shaft bearing pretty easily as well. I generally did those in the spring to make sure they didn't sit all summer full of water. Never did toast one doing this, though my sleds were generally run 10k+ miles before trading.

#6 ·
If you haven't had the ski bolts out recently, suggest you try removing them now. They have a habit of seizing to the bushings making them a nightmare to remove without destroying the skis. Finding seized bolts mid season a real "oh damn" moment. Zerk fittings there make a pretty nice mod, and while you're at it, drill a few holes through the bushings so grease can make it through them onto the bolts! Replacing rubber snubbers that haven't been replaced recently not a bad plan either. They generally were never that expensive.

While you're at it, shock bolts can do the same thing (seize to the bushings). The front ones, and the ones under the skid. Pulling those and their associated bushings, then cleaning and greasing all that can occupy a few hours as well....

I used to pull the secondary and pop the seal from the jack shaft, allowing for an inspection there. If all looks good (no rust!) pack some grease into it and snap the seal back into place. You can do the same thing to the drive shaft bearing pretty easily as well. I generally did those in the spring to make sure they didn't sit all summer full of water. Never did toast one doing this, though my sleds were generally run 10k+ miles before trading.
Long time no see:bc2:How ya been

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.