Hardcore Sledder banner

Which Polaris 600 should a newbie use to race the USXC I-500 Winnipeg to Willmar?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Sn0wman 
#1 ·
Indy, Rush or SWBA?

I'll be running the sportsman class. With the I-500 again being a point-to-point race in 2015, I plan to be part of it....even if I come in very last, really would just like to finish it regardless of position. Kind of a bucket list item I guess.

I've never raced in any type of snowmobile racing event before, so I likely won't be one those guys airing it out on a field approach at a 100mph, not on purpose anyways.

My RMK600 has been great for me with zero issues in over 1300 miles now, so I'm pretty set on running a Polaris 600 that will primarily serve as a trail sled for me and the family along side my current sleds.

#4 ·
Indy 600. With bunke shocks supports etc. would be my first choice. But I wouldn't hesitate to do it on a axys even though untested. Like you said it's a bucket list your doing it for fun and I applaud that. But the truth is it probably won't make much of I diff. What your riding as long as your comfortable with the machine and have fun. If you had expectations of being a front runner then sled set up and choice may be more imp. I've ran grass,ice, tar drags,ice ovals but would love to do whAt your doing for the same reasons with the same expectations. Good for you and good luck

#5 ·
Pro-X 600, you'll want the more aggressive track plus the extra suspension since you'll always be starting in the back. It will be a lot of ditch running so if there is decent snow expect deep moguls. :thumbsup: Have fun it's a great experience.

#7 ·
Solid advice, starting in the back is completely a different deal than being in the top 10 starters. You will want all the suspension you can get. It is brutal, especially if there is a lot of snow, start working out 6 months ago:thumbsup: Have fun! XC racing is the best:bc:

#9 ·
Well...we're out on running the I500. Had a couple too many old racers talk us out of it, mainly due to the fact that we're not spring chickens anymore. All of my research would have put me on a used Indy 600 with extra running board supports. At the end of the day we decided that time would be better spent doing our own multi-day tour across MN into the northern part of WI and maybe into the U.P. if all goes well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.