SC-10 II versus SC-10 III suspension - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Ski-Doo General Discussion This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. This is a 100% NO BASH ZONE. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

Sponsored By:Blown Motor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2004, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

I'm evaluating a few sleds before making my final purchase decision. Two of them are Skidoo.

I'm replacing a 1994 Polaris Indy XLT. I was ok with its power but don't like the VERY harsh ride on anything except billiard-table top smooth trails. Ultimately A comfortable ride takes precedence over slot car type handling.

I'm looking at a low-mileage (850 miles, $3999) 2000 Formula Deluxe 700 with the SC-10 II suspension. I'm also looking at a new 2004 Legend 500 SS ($5899) with the SC-10 III suspension. Another brand is still in the mix but I'll take that question elsewhere.

I'm told the SC-10 III has about 3 extra inches of travel, not sure if this is true vertical travel.

For most trail riding conditions, is there a noticable difference in ride quality between these two suspensions? Given the awesome condition and lower price of the Legend Deluxe, right now I'm leaning in that direction.

Thanks.

Rick
racefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2004, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by racefan@Nov 17 2004, 07:34 AM
I'm evaluating a few sleds before making my final purchase decision. Two of them are Skidoo.

I'm replacing a 1994 Polaris Indy XLT. I was ok with its power but don't like the VERY harsh ride on anything except billiard-table top smooth trails. Ultimately A comfortable ride takes precedence over slot car type handling.

I'm looking at a low-mileage (850 miles, $3999) 2000 Formula Deluxe 700 with the SC-10 II suspension. I'm also looking at a new 2004 Legend 500 SS ($5899) with the SC-10 III suspension. Another brand is still in the mix but I'll take that question elsewhere.

I'm told the SC-10 III has about 3 extra inches of travel, not sure if this is true vertical travel.

For most trail riding conditions, is there a noticable difference in ride quality between these two suspensions? Given the awesome condition and lower price of the Legend Deluxe, right now I'm leaning in that direction.

Thanks.

Rick
<div align="right">
[/quote]

Any input from anyone at all on this question? Or even links to where I might find the answer? I've read the technical stuff but can't find real world comparisons.

Thanks.

Rick
Old 11-18-2004, 06:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

From what I can remember, People that have the SC-10 II have upgraded it to the SC-10 III By changing a few parts. I don't remember exactly what was changed. I think it was a minor job.
You might get a quicker answer over @ dootalk.com

I have the SC-10 II in my 02 Renegade 700 (136") I like it. I can't comment on the SC-10 III yet because I am still waiting for snow to try out my 05 Renegade. :banghead:
Sledneck36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 13 summit 154" 800R
Previous Sled(s): Too many
Riding Since: 1975

I could be way off here, but I think the III has a different coupling block in it. I have an 02 with the III and it works just fine. I don't think there is much difference in travel. It does ride very well and handles the bumps just fine.
4chevys4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Advanced Member

It would seem for that extra amount of money, you could always add a kit or swap some parts to change the ride if you didn't like it. A 2k dollar difference is a big one.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

just my thought but i would just go with the new one its going to be better than the old even if the sc10II does ride good it could be worn out and the whole sled could be to, those r low miles but they could have been hard miles and if u spend the extra money the u will have the sled longer b/c its new
Dunlop 756RR Front and Rear

Suzuki Rm 250-
Pro-Action Suspension Polished Ports and Head
FMF AOF Power ignition
FMF SST Pipe and Power Core 2 Shorty Silencer
Boyesen RAD Valve
Boyesen PowerValve cover
Renthal Bars
Renthal Chain Wheels and Chain
Dunlop 756RR front and back
Twin Air Filter
05 Ski-Doo MXZ 500SS-
Stock for Now

1970 Chevy C-10 Pick-up-
400 Small Block
4-Speed Muncie
373 Posi Rear End
Still Restoring
bear doo 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2013 F1100 Turbo S/P Limited
Previous Sled(s): 1250cc Mach Z w/ NOS
Favorite Riding Area: Northern WI

I would stick with the newer machine. The sc-10 III is an amazing rear skid, and was WAY better than the II. I inquired about changing one of my II's into a III, and it was too costly...

2008 Racecraft Dragster 632ci BBC - Best 1/4 Mile ET 7.35@178mph
Jiddru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 09:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 09 Skidoo GTX 500ss, 05 Skidoo GTX 500ss
Favorite Riding Area: central and norther Vermont
13-14 Mileage: 1760
12-13 Mileage: 1487
11-12 Mileage: 715
10-11 Mileage: 1620

The II can be converted to a III. I have compared the part numbers between the two last year and the difference between them is the upper rear arm, control rods, and the little bell crank/swing arm that the lower shock and rods mount to, the rails are also different but the difference there is the coupling window is a little wider. Every thing else is the same. The shocks are the same length because I compared the base model shocks (the hydralic cheapos) and they are the same part number, the hpgs are different but that is because of different damping changes between model years. It is a little pricy to convert, the upper rear arm is about $200, the control rods, small shafts, and lower small swing arm will run probably around $25 to $40. The last difference is in where the rear arm mounts, the III has a longer upper arm so the rear mount is moved forward slightly. I have not been able to get this measurement because I don't have access to a sled equiped with the III. I want to get the measurement between the front arm mount hole and the rear arm mount hole measured from inside the tunnel. If anyone has this measurement I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
mxzwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

I ended up buying the new 2004 Legend 500 SS last week. I'm by no means made of money but I've always regretted doing things on the cheap. I think the other posters are right in that low miles does not necessarily mean an easy life.

I'm sure either sled would have been much nicer to ride than my 1994 XLT.

I'll post some pics hopefully by the weekend. I'm very anxious to try it out!
Old 11-30-2004, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Awesome to hear! Please put up some pics when you get them!
Advertisement