Legend V1000 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Ski-Doo General Discussion This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. This is a 100% NO BASH ZONE. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

Sponsored By:Blown Motor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2006, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Red face

Does anyone know why Ski Doo only made the 4-stroke 1000 for one year only (2004)? I have an opportunity to buy one for a price but it seems strange that this model was only made for one year or maybe two? Anyone own one of these sleds or have any information on them?
Richmond County Sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2007, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

SkiDoo first made the V1000 Legend's in 2003. I own two of them... a 2003 Legend V1000 Sport and a 2003 Legend Grand Touring V1000. I bought both as leftovers in 2004.

The downside to the V1000 is the weight ~600 lbs. and the relatively low HP (~82 HP is what I have heard). The top end is ~85 mph (at least with my 250 + lb. body on it). If you want to be first across the lake, this is not the sled for you. If you want to ditch bang this is not the sled for you.

Having said all of that, I am very happy with the sleds. They get good fuel economy 20-23 mpg and are great on the trail, and they have plenty of torque. If you are looking for a good cruizing sled I recommend them. I have had no problems with either sled. There was a problem with the fuel rail when I first got my sleds, but SkiDoo fixed that. Just make sure all TSB's were addressed before you buy, and you should be fine.

You can ride the trails at 45 -55 mph all day and the engine won't work up a sweat. Your friends on 2-strokes will run out of gas long before you do. I carry a cheap siphon on board to help get my friends to the gas station when they run out :banana:

The engine is strong and has a great track record in other applications. I should be able to get at least 20,000 miles out of the engine before even the thought of an engine rebuild.

The V1000's were offered as SkiDoo's entry into the 4-stroke arena. Over the past two years, SkiDoo has decided to go against the direction of the other manufacturers and really commit to the 2-stroke platform. They are offering an 800cc 4-stroke this year, but they do not seem commited to 4-stroke technology. If you look at what Yamaha has done with their 4-stroke you see that SkiDoo is far behind, and it does not look as though they plan to compete head-to-head in the 4-stroke game.
dhubley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank You : ) I was starting to worry that no one would respond! I guess I didn't articulate my question very well.

I currently have a 440, so as you can guess I'm not really into the speed nor am I much of a stunt artist! What I was trying to say is that I could pick up a V1000 for a *good* price ... I'm interested in the 4-strokes for their fuel economy for sure.

We're big Ski Doo fans but my friend recently switched to Yamaha for the very reasons you've outlined ... he has an RX1 4-stroke. I was leary because I hadn't heard a lot about these sleds and it seemed strange to me that Ski Doo hasn't made more in the 4-stroke line. I guess I was worried that they hadn't done a good job with the 4-stroke engine and had given up until they perfected it.

Suffice to say, you've put my mind at ease. I can't even lift my little 440 so no worries about trying to lift a 600 pound V1000. I guess the trick is to NOT get it stuck! Sounds like I'll have to stick to the groomed trails to accomplish that one, but no prob. - that is what I usually do anyway.

Thanks for the info. - it has been very helpful in making my decision : )
Old 01-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Based on your riding style and interest in fuel economy I think you'd be very happy with the V-1000. It does have a great ride and handles very well without any special modifications. Just set it up for you weight (see the settings on the inside of the hood if the 2004 is the same as the 2003) and go.

If you get the sled ask the dealer how they have stored it (has gas been sitting in it). On my sleds the dealers (two different dealers as I bought the two sleds at different times) had some gas that sat in the tanks for a while (as they were both leftovers), and they did not add a fuel stabilizer (like Stabil). There is a membrane in the gas tank where the fuel is drawn from and the membrane got gunked up with the bad gas. It was a relatively easy fix as I removed the membrane (I bought a service manual over EBAY) and sprayed it with starting fluid. Cleaned the membrane right up and have not had a problem since, but I make sure I store my sleds properly.

If they have had gas in it for some time I would try to get the dealer to remove that membrane and clean it for you (or at least remove the old gas and put some fresh gas in). On both of my sleds the problem did not show up for about 100 miles. The symptom will be a loss of power. You will not be left stranded, but on one sled I could not go above 25 mph and the other sled 40 mph until the membrane was cleaned.

Feel free to leave me an email at schoodic76@toast.net if you have any questions.

Happy Sledding... Dave
dhubley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): Ski-Doo GT V-1000, 600 ACE, ZX 600
Previous Sled(s): 4 Ski-Doo's and AC Pantera
Favorite Riding Area: Millinocket, Jackman, NEK
Riding Since: 2004

I have a 2004 V-1000 Legend GT SE that I purchased in 2005 as a leftover. I very happy with it, love the torque and the sound. I'm mostly just a trail rider usually with one or two young kids on the back. I also had an issue early on with the fuel system, but it's been perfect since. 80-85 mph is plenty fast for me.
yabbadabbadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys : ) If I run into any problems I'll be sure to drop you a line Dave. The V-1000 certainly sounds like a good sled esp. for trail riding. No negative feedback at all!

I always store my sled with fuel stabilizer and I'd think the dealer would do the same?? I wouldn't have thought to ask about that, thanks again : )

Regards, Lori
Old 03-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

I own a 2003 V-1000. I have 4900 miles on it. I'm an old Harley rider. I first heard one of these sleds go by me on the trail and noticed right away the sound they make. I had to have one. To the average person it might sound like a Harley with a quiet muffler. It actually is closer sounding to a Ducati. A Harley is a 45 degree V and this is an 80 degree V. A Ducati I believe is 90 Degree. I rode mine for two seasons with the stock exhaust sound. I searched and looked around different places the whole time for a pipe or can for this machine. No luck. I removed the muffler last summer, took of the right side heat shield, the heat blanket under that, plasma cut some of the right side wall off, looked inside, found out how Bombadier did things and made a few modifications to the inside. I'd love to share my modifications with anyone wanting a truly incredible sounding V twin snow machine. I turn heads everywhere I go. I LOVE this machine. I sold a RX-1 to buy this sled. I can get mine to do about 90 miles an hour on a hard packed groomed trail. I am always going off trail with this. It is easier to get stuck than most sleds but not as easy as the RX-1. I'm going to get a GT V-1000 and make it a one person sled just to get the extra track length. I'm going to do the same exhaust work first thing.
bus-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have been looking for a used or new two up Vtwin 1000 for some time now.if anyone knows of one for sale..PM me ..I too am a harley rider and love the sound..hey you should hear the can am vtwin 800 ATV they make..nice...! lol
TurboVtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

QUOTE (bus-junkie @ Mar 17 2007, 07:49 PM)
Quote:
I own a 2003 V-1000. I have 4900 miles on it. I'm an old Harley rider. I first heard one of these sleds go by me on the trail and noticed right away the sound they make. I had to have one. To the average person it might sound like a Harley with a quiet muffler. It actually is closer sounding to a Ducati. A Harley is a 45 degree V and this is an 80 degree V. A Ducati I believe is 90 Degree. I rode mine for two seasons with the stock exhaust sound. I searched and looked around different places the whole time for a pipe or can for this machine. No luck. I removed the muffler last summer, took of the right side heat shield, the heat blanket under that, plasma cut some of the right side wall off, looked inside, found out how Bombadier did things and made a few modifications to the inside. I'd love to share my modifications with anyone wanting a truly incredible sounding V twin snow machine. I turn heads everywhere I go. I LOVE this machine. I sold a RX-1 to buy this sled. I can get mine to do about 90 miles an hour on a hard packed groomed trail. I am always going off trail with this. It is easier to get stuck than most sleds but not as easy as the RX-1. I'm going to get a GT V-1000 and make it a one person sled just to get the extra track length. I'm going to do the same exhaust work first thing.[/b]
ggeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

I just purchased a 2004 legend v-100. What kind of mods do I need to do to the exhaust to get that great sound? Do you have any pics or sound files? Thanks Gary
ggeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement