Where is SkiDoo's entry level sled? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Ski-Doo General Discussion This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. This is a 100% NO BASH ZONE. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Posting private messages from Members or Site Staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2017, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Default Where is SkiDoo's entry level sled?

The sport can't grow without a real entry level sled. The 600 ACE is close, but too expensive, and I think there is a demand for something slightly smaller than full sized.

BRP makes a single quad engine that would be great for an entry level sled. Their "450" makes 38hp.

Slap on a smaller tank for a lower seat, along with a lower front and rear suspension. 38" or 36" ski width, regular skis and spindles, 120" track (not sure if a custom shorter track would be worth the hassles) That would be an ideal transition sled that shouldn't break the bank. only new parts would be shocks and springs, tank, seat, plus whatever it takes to get the 450 hooked up to the track.
The sled chassis and drivetrain should be simpler than those of the $6k quad. Bring it in for $5k and people will be screaming for one. Most would be all over it instead of the $4k 9hp Yamacat.

stick it in the G4 chassis and really blow people's minds.
Groo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Advanced Member

15-16 Mileage: 1300
14-15 Mileage: 49858
13-14 Mileage: 2000+

Mxz 600 sport carb.
Doo2Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo2Poo View Post
Mxz 600 sport carb.
The 2stroke stink has driven many away from sledding for years.
105hp is not entry level
It is not long for production. Fewer sleds get it every year. it will follow the 550 (only in a couple utility sleds now I believe) sooner rather than later.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2009 Dragon SP 800
Favorite Riding Area: Snow
15-16 Mileage: 1500
Riding Since: 2014

I agree they need a smaller sled, but 4 stroke is not the answer.
They are too heavy for novice riders, bring back the 340 or 440 I say...
These new 2 strokes don't even smoke when cold, heck they would have a heck of a long life too, not much vibration in the tiny twins.

The 450 quad engine wouldn't work for another reason as well, its designed to fit in a long narrow space, not a wide short space.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '15 600 Adventure (int'l)
Previous Sled(s): too many to choose from

Doo tried with the Freestyle / Tundra some years ago , I don't think it sold too well...?
RIP: 800SBA, 02 XC800, 99 SKS700
ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

an etec 300 would probably cost more than a mass produced 4 stroke, I bet the expansion chamber and heavier muffler probably come in pretty comparable in weight to the added gear train and displacement. The 4 stroke might even be able to skimp a bit on cooling compare to a 300 etec. That said, I wouldn't mind a 300/425 etec either, but I think the 427 4 stroke is much more likely to happen. the only problem I see using it is that it looks married to the 4x4 drivetrain. I don't know how much of the engine case is pure quad or how much tooling it would take to change out. I bet less work than a 300 etec though.
A 340/440 won't ever come back. Fan cooled sleds are inherently noisy (noise is why porsche finally went water cooled) and the emissions are not clean, plus the 2 stroke stink I know has kept people out of the sport in the past.
The Freestyle didn't do well because it was cutesy and had a cheap front suspension. All it needed was different headlights and it would have been a success. Use the mass produced chassis and suspension components. changing out the few items I mentioned will make it feel much smaller if done right.
The other thing different from the freeride era is the availability of comparable used sleds. they were competing with last gen 340s and 440s. There are no last gen 340s and 440s now. The only market competition would be used 600 ace sleds. I don't see many, and most of those are ex rentals.

Last edited by Groo; 04-20-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groo View Post
an etec 300 would probably cost more than a mass produced 4 stroke, I bet the expansion chamber and heavier muffler probably come in pretty comparable in weight to the added gear train and displacement. The 4 stroke might even be able to skimp a bit on cooling compare to a 300 etec. That said, I wouldn't mind a 300/425 etec either, but I think the 427 4 stroke is much more likely to happen. the only problem I see using it is that it looks married to the 4x4 drivetrain. I don't know how much of the engine case is pure quad or how much tooling it would take to change out. I bet less work than a 300 etec though.
A 340/440 won't ever come back. Fan cooled sleds are inherently noisy (noise is why porsche finally went water cooled) and the emissions are not clean, plus the 2 stroke stink I know has kept people out of the sport in the past.
The Freestyle didn't do well because it was cutesy and had a cheap front suspension. All it needed was different headlights and it would have been a success. Use the mass produced chassis and suspension components. changing out the few items I mentioned will make it feel much smaller if done right.
The other thing different from the freeride era is the availability of comparable used sleds. they were competing with last gen 340s and 440s. There are no last gen 340s and 440s now. The only market competition would be used 600 ace sleds. I don't see many, and most of those are ex rentals.

340 or 440 liquid cooled etec...
Perfect for people with kids or someone just looking for a once and awhile ride.
Etec's also have no smell, unless your fogging them, smell is no longer an excuse.

Fans are dead no argument there...
The next gen trapping sleds will have rads.

The ATV 450 engine would need a completely redesigned crank case to fit in a sled. Definitely cost more then a small etec, not enough of them would be made to make it cheeper.
Also have you ever ridden a quad with the rotax 450? They are supper slow, there is no fun factor at all, thats not how you get people hooked on the sport. You need to give them an adrenalin rush.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar View Post
Doo tried with the Freestyle / Tundra some years ago , I don't think it sold too well...?
I really don't know if they tried a smaller sled recently.

I'm sure it would take a lot of clever marketing to get it right though, not to mention making it affordable.
Probably top price of $7000 ( Canadian ), preferably cheeper.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

600 ACE has learner key to regulate speed
tnt nels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt nels View Post
600 ACE has learner key to regulate speed
No doubt it is the best lerner sled out there currently, but too expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement