2005 GSX LTD. 600 HO SDI - HCS Snowmobile Forums

REV Chassis This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2004, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 Ski-Doo Renegade 600 ETEC

Checked mine yesterday, it is 19.5 mm. Ski-Doo must have decided to lengthen them from the factory. I will wait to see how much oil it burns before adjusting it.

I would have posted this under the original post, but I can't find it now.
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2004, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
kej
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by halftag@Nov 15 2004, 12:14 PM
Checked mine yesterday, it is 19.5 mm.* Ski-Doo must have decided to lengthen them from the factory.* I will wait to see how much oil it burns before adjusting it.

I would have posted this under the original post, but I can't find it now.
<div align="right">
[/quote]
halftag, I am waiting to pick up my GSX 600 SDI Limited, black & gold just like yours and I was wondering what made you decide on the GSX. I ride mostly groomed trails in Maine and Canada so I thought the GSX would suit me. I know it is simular to the MXZ except for the rear shock, plus it has all the extra creature comforts. Good luck with your's. As for the cable adjustment I think you have to calculate the oil to fuel use so your around 40 to 1 from what I've read on the subject. kej
kej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2010 Ski-Doo Renegade 600 ETEC

kej,

The GSX was an easy choice for me. My 8 year old rides with me so I wanted a performance sled that will handle a second rider. I'm coming off of a 2002 Pantera 600 EFI ESR, so I like the power a 600 cc engine puts out and the cheaper insurance. The GSX is about 160# lighter and about 1' shorter than the Pantera. I have a bad lower back so I'm hoping the GSX will help me out on the trail with the new rider "position". I would have considered a Fire or Sabrecat if they would have a 2up seat option. I guess I'm still a bit on the edge when riding even at 40 years old. Of course when riding with the boy, I'm doing my best to show him responsible riding techniques and safety measures. I realized that the Pantera was just to much of a load for me to handle when playing "catch me if you can" with the boys.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hay guys new to the forum but here's my 2 cents worth for what it matters
I bought my 04 GSX Limited in January went from a venture 700 i wanted to keep up with the action my buddies were getting on there MXZ 700 and 800 had some serious issues with the GSX rear shock always slapping my ass when i rode tried all the configs with the springs and shock NO GO!!! Lost one spring mid season replaced by dealer April 30 8 hours drive from home and 20 miles in country I lost the shock lower mount a spring, one spring adjuster tore up a wheel and gouged the center of my track all the way around from the loose shock. Dealer tried to say I was hot dogging and hitting jumps only for my pal is buddies with the dealer and he vouched for me I honestly only had a couple trips and a few small jumps not worth noting I got it covered. I did upgrade with the repairs and went to the proformance shock like the 800 has and the round springs intead of the stock square ones. Just a note if it keeps hitting back have some words with the dealer. I bought it for me with ocassionally the wife they said it woiuld be perfect but I feel the shock is a little soft for 2 me and the little fella maybe.
jd&#39;s GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
kej
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jd's GSX@Nov 16 2004, 09:53 PM
Hay guys new to the forum but here's my 2 cents worth for what it matters
I bought my 04 GSX Limited in January went from a venture 700 i wanted to keep up with the action my buddies were getting on there MXZ 700 and 800 had some serious issues with the GSX rear shock always slapping my ass when i rode tried all the configs with the springs and shock NO GO!!! Lost one spring mid season replaced by dealer April 30 8 hours drive from home and 20 miles in country I lost the shock lower mount a spring, one spring adjuster tore up a wheel and gouged the center of my track all the way around from the loose shock. Dealer tried to say I was hot dogging and hitting jumps only for my pal is buddies with the dealer and he vouched for me I honestly only had a couple trips and a few small jumps not worth noting I got it covered. I did upgrade with the repairs and went to the proformance shock like the 800 has and the round springs intead of the stock square ones. Just a note if it keeps hitting back have some words with the dealer. I bought it for me with ocassionally the wife they said it woiuld be perfect but I feel the shock is a little soft for 2 me and the little fella maybe.
<div align="right">
[/quote]
Hay jds GSX , are you saying the rear lower shock mount broke or came loose? I hope this isn't a common problem because I like to ride aggressive and I was under the impression that the GSX would handle aggressive riding. Thanks for any info. kej
kej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 05:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kej@Nov 15 2004, 07:57 PM
halftag, I am waiting to pick up my GSX 600 SDI Limited, black & gold just like yours and I was wondering what made you decide on the GSX. I ride mostly groomed trails in Maine and Canada so I thought the GSX would suit me. I know it is simular to the MXZ except for the rear shock, plus it has all the extra creature comforts. Good luck with your's. As for the cable adjustment I think you have to calculate the oil to fuel use so your around 40 to 1 from what I've read on the subject. kej
<div align="right">
[/quote]
my 2 cents worth....the cable length is only a guide line to start with. you must monitor oil to gas cnsumption and go from there. my experience was 140 mi per tank at 40 litres you should use 1 litre of oil. had my adjustment done twice and it's right in the ball park now. some sleds are really out of whack even with the same setting. as for the shock thing... we rode some of the worst and roughest trails around North Bay last winter...3 foot moguls for miles due to land owner and club issues...we ride hard often. actually i pond the hell out of it sometimes and never had aproblem with any of the suspension components ....untill you add a full size adult on the 1+1 seat...then she'll bottom out on a rough trail ...this was with the 1+1 springs in it so i just finish changing to the heavier springs up from that. the front shock spring has to be changed also...cost about $100 for all three springs. my only wish is that the doo shocks had the damping adjustability that the poo shocks have. handling with two up is tottaly awesome to what other two ups perform like. HAPPY RIDING!!!
suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement