Hanging Idle on 2003 MXZ 800 - HCS Snowmobile Forums

REV Chassis This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello, I am new at posting to this thread but read it all the time, good site and good people on here. To the problem, I bought a 2003 Ski Doo MXZ Rev 800 sport a couple months ago, was having idling issues and took the carbs off and cleaned them, I found at that time the carb boots had rips or holes in them, I guess the delaminating issue. So I ordered v-force 3 reeds, and at the same time I got a sno stuff can for it. I know have all of them on and I am having a hanging idle issue still, I have tried adjusting the idle screw and fuel screw. I also had a loaping issue at low rpm or speed, oh yeah the sled is clutched also, by adjusting the fuel screw it helped that, not gone completely but helped alot! It will hang around 2500 to 3000 rpm and then drop down, if I adjust the idle screw up it stays up, then If i adjust it down then when it comes down it dies after a few seconds. I did not rejet, do I need to do this now that I have added a can and v-force reeds? Or do I have another issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tom
slickyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 02:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 02 mxz 700, 05 mxz 550f
Previous Sled(s): Polaris,Skiroule
Favorite Riding Area: Bayfield,Wisc.
10-11 Mileage: 200 mi
Riding Since: 60's

Are you sure you don't have any air leaks around the cases or carbs? Other wise how far are your fuel screws turned out? if they are at about 2 turns out then I would put bigger pilots in it. thats the rule of thumb if you can go out 2 turns and still have that hanging idle jet up the pilots then turn your fuel screws back in to about 1 turn out and check it. if it runs rich turn it a 1/4 turn in if it still hangs turn out a 1/4.........good luck as far as jetting for your v-force call them and ask them what you should do. earlier 800's ran #20 pilots then they went to 17.5's and started having the hanging problem
rblscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2014 Freeride/Gade800/ ZRT800
Previous Sled(s): Too many to list
Riding Since: 1973

Quote:
Are you sure you don't have any air leaks around the cases or carbs? Other wise how far are your fuel screws turned out? if they are at about 2 turns out then I would put bigger pilots in it. thats the rule of thumb if you can go out 2 turns and still have that hanging idle jet up the pilots then turn your fuel screws back in to about 1 turn out and check it. if it runs rich turn it a 1/4 turn in if it still hangs turn out a 1/4.........good luck as far as jetting for your v-force call them and ask them what you should do. earlier 800's ran #20 pilots then they went to 17.5's and started having the hanging problem[/b]

X's 2 on the above, its great sound mechanical advice. Good call rblscoot, to the point and simple to follow directions.

2014 Freeride....let it snow now!
MaineSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hey thanks guys, I will call them this week and find out what they say at v-force, I am sure it has the stock jets, I believe I am currently at 1 1/2 turns out, I will try the two turn rule of thumb and see what happens, any body know were you can buy the jets at? Thanks Again
Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey thanks guys, I will call them this week and find out what they say at v-force, I am sure it has the stock jets, I believe I am currently at 1 1/2 turns out, I will try the two turn rule of thumb and see what happens, any body know were you can buy the jets at? Thanks Again[/b]
I would pull the bowls off and pull the pilots out to check #. If they arnt 20 then change them to 20's. you can buy them at any motorcycle, dirt bike or snowmobile place for 3 dollers a piece. Then put your fuel screws "the white ones"out 1 and three quarters out to start. You should always write down your needle pos, spacers , mains and pilots when your clean your carbs for the first time. good luck.
HighlandSKIDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

rblscoot, thanks so much, I called vforce and they told me about the upping the pilot jet also. I ordered two of them got them put in tonight, and walla, took care of all the problems, I went from 17.5 to 20's. Also set the fuel screw to 1 1/2 turns out. No more surging when taking off and at slow speed, and this took care of the hanging idle issue. It comes right down know and idles smooth, I have it set to about 1600 rpm, is that to low or does it need to be higher? Thanks so much you guys this is a great web site with some knowledgable people!
Old 01-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): ski doos mostly
Previous Sled(s): lots of em
Favorite Riding Area: mountains or rivers or woods
Riding Since: 1980

did you try toput a little slack in your throttle cable?sometimes when its tight the idle will hang
pozz907420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

No I did not try to put slack in it. That was not the problem. As soon as I fired it up after putting pilot jets in it was fine. Idles right down, and idle screw is adjustable now. The pilot jets were the fix. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement