2003 mxz electrical problem - HCS Snowmobile Forums

REV Chassis This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2009, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi there, I am new here and was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a 2003 ski doo mxz rev 800, and having some weird electrical problems. The sled seems as though its not getting enough power. When idoling i noticed it is running rough, and today it actually stalled on me once, 3 pulls and it fired back up. The headlight is very dim when idoling and same with the tail light, neither of them get all that much better when reved up. When the dimmer switch is hit, the tach goes down to 0 and the temp and oil light come on and then go out. Same thing happens when the brakes are applied. When you unplug the fuse for the headlights the tail lights gets alot brighter, as bright as it should be. I have tried everyhing from changing relay, checking for rubbed wires, checking electrical connecters, took apart dimmer switch, have not been able to find the problem. Does anyone know what this could be? Could it be the stator getting weak? voltage reg???...any advice will help!! sorry for the legth of the post. Thanks in advance!!!
ivercor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 07 Gade 800HO
Previous Sled(s): 99 MXZ 600
Favorite Riding Area: Bottineau, N.D. Bemidji, Mn.
10-11 Mileage: 300
Riding Since: 1999

Sounds like there is an issue with the stator if your idle is set to specs. Pulling the fuse for the headlights and tail lights remove a good portion of current draw on the stator, which is allowing the other accessories enough current to operate correctly. You need to test the resistances of the stator. If your dealer is unwilling to give you the resistance values, someone on this site might have them. If the stator checks out good, suspect a bad voltage regulator.
bELOWzERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Sounds like there is an issue with the stator if your idle is set to specs. Pulling the fuse for the headlights and tail lights remove a good portion of current draw on the stator, which is allowing the other accessories enough current to operate correctly. You need to test the resistances of the stator. If your dealer is unwilling to give you the resistance values, someone on this site might have them. If the stator checks out good, suspect a bad voltage regulator.[/b]
Thanks
ivercor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Current Sled(s): Ski-doo Renegage X 800 e-tec
Previous Sled(s): Ski-doo MXZ TNT 600 e-tec
Favorite Riding Area: UP MI
10-11 Mileage: 2100

QUOTE (ivercor @ Dec 25 2009, 10:35 PM)
Quote:
Hi there, I am new here and was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a 2003 ski doo mxz rev 800, and having some weird electrical problems. The sled seems as though its not getting enough power. When idoling i noticed it is running rough, and today it actually stalled on me once, 3 pulls and it fired back up. The headlight is very dim when idoling and same with the tail light, neither of them get all that much better when reved up. When the dimmer switch is hit, the tach goes down to 0 and the temp and oil light come on and then go out. Same thing happens when the brakes are applied. When you unplug the fuse for the headlights the tail lights gets alot brighter, as bright as it should be. I have tried everyhing from changing relay, checking for rubbed wires, checking electrical connecters, took apart dimmer switch, have not been able to find the problem. Does anyone know what this could be? Could it be the stator getting weak? voltage reg???...any advice will help!! sorry for the legth of the post. Thanks in advance!!![/b]

Same problem with mine, stator was the problem.
diverbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement