2006 500ss Bent frame + flying nun!! - HCS Snowmobile Forums

REV Chassis This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hey everyone,
Ok so towards the end of the winter last year I had some damage caused by myself to the right side of my machine. I could see both A arms bent and belly pan and bumper damage. I bought all new factory parts and replaced both A arms and brought the sled to local ski doo dealer for service and to pop rivot belly pan etc... They told me the frame was severly bent and flying nun needed to be replace. I saw where the frame is bent right behind muffler. Ok here is the painful part; Estimate $300 in parts + $850.00 in labor (12 hours). They claim they can bend frame back and replace other parts!! I am no mechanic by any means but Is it worth even trying to tackle this by myself? Is the 12 hours quote to bend frame and replace flying nun accurate? I would appreciate any feedback before I spend $1,200 this weekend!!
mangion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

You can probably talk to the shop and tear the sled down to the point they need it at to straighten it and replace parts then you can put it back together after they straighten it out. This could cut you labor time to a 1/4 of the time.
bardeenm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SKI-DOO-REV...sspagenameZWDVW

Saw this on Ebay
Tiresmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Fixed my X by myself last year, took a few evenings and worth every minute. Just take some pictures and be ready to grind and pop a few rivets. Job was alot easier than I anticipated and was all ready in 2 weeks just working nights and weekends. Used the engine mount to square it all up as I riveted it back together.

Get yourself a manual or print off the microfiche diags of the chassis. The worst part was pulling the engine and getting it stuffed back in there. I did find a coolant hose that was rubbing on the recoil though, it would have blown within a few rides so saved me from getting stranded in the backcountry.

After install I drilled 5/16" holes in lower a-arms and have over 1000 miles on them with no issues, it did worry me for a while. LOL
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I think the last issue of snow tech had an article on replacing a bent nun on the rev. they calculated that it cost them $450 plus their time to fix a sled that would have been totaled by an insurance co. Did not look to bad to do. course looks can be decieving.
skid Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
Fixed my X by myself last year, took a few evenings and worth every minute. Just take some pictures and be ready to grind and pop a few rivets. Job was alot easier than I anticipated and was all ready in 2 weeks just working nights and weekends. Used the engine mount to square it all up as I riveted it back together.

Get yourself a manual or print off the microfiche diags of the chassis. The worst part was pulling the engine and getting it stuffed back in there. I did find a coolant hose that was rubbing on the recoil though, it would have blown within a few rides so saved me from getting stranded in the backcountry.

After install I drilled 5/16" holes in lower a-arms and have over 1000 miles on them with no issues, it did worry me for a while. LOL[/b]

Whats the purpose of the holes in the a-arms? To allow those to bend or break first?

Mike

2008 Ski-Doo Summit XP 800R 146"
2007 Ski-Doo Summit XRS 800 151"
2006 Ski-Doo Renegade 800 136"
2005 Ski-Doo GTX 600 136" R.I.P

Proud Member of the SCOHCSMNRC
gunnysnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement