HCS Snowmobile Forums

HCS Snowmobile Forums (http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/)
-   REV Chassis (http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/250-rev-chassis/)
-   -   why do some rev's catch fire (http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/250-rev-chassis/101307-why-do-some-rev-s-catch-fire.html)

ski-doo 1 11-08-2005 06:11 PM

I have seen on the general forum section that some rev's catch on fire . What can you do or look for so this will not happen to my 04 rev 600? :dunno:

rich90 11-08-2005 06:38 PM

That was just a rare thing i wouldnt get to worked up over that. probably a guy that smokes spilled gas on his seat and lit one up.

karl27 11-08-2005 07:01 PM

That is not a factor whatsoever with Ski-Doo sleds. You have nothing to worry about. Sure, strange things on rare occasions happens to all brands of everything. You probably have a similar chance of winning a lottery as you do having a stock Ski-Doo or any other brand for that matter suddenly catch fire for no reason. Notice I said stock. People who modify their hood insulation, brakes or pipes in a way that create extra heat may produce a possible fire siutation which does not count. Neither does spilling gas all over your seat during a fill up and lighting up a smoke.

SLEDDHEAD 11-08-2005 08:03 PM

Well i beg to differ with you on the fire issue !!!!!!
I had an 03 800HO X spring order, with DPM 1 1/4" track, studded
all done up, NEW !!! well that first year on February 14th i went out into the garage that nite to go for a little spin........sled was cold, half choke and on the second pull i heard a whooooomp, on the third pull i saw flames............looked like i coulda smacked them out with my hands, down behind the brake disc, well didnt quite make it....
barely got it pulled 20' outta the garage before the flames were shooting outta the headlite area probly three feet in the air, damn they do melt fast !!!!! All bombadier would do was gather information from me, THEY, and i did say THEY CALLED ME on three seperate occasions,
even having one of the regional reps come and take some pictures....
Luckily i had insurance, cause doo wasnt gonna help.....i was able to get all my money outta it, and later buy a GADE !!!

So it does happen !!!! now i keep an extinguisher in the garage and trailer.........but then again???? if it happened again, the next sled would be that RT GADE 1000

MXZ800DUDE 11-08-2005 11:53 PM

:handjob: I wouldn't lose any sleep or not buy a Rev because a few people had bad luck.

You don't think sleds made from other Manu's catch fire by an occassional freak accident.

s pump 11-09-2005 10:55 AM

My buddy's 03 800 caught fire once when he forgot to put the oil tank cap back on after fuel up. Luckily he put it out quickly with a little help from us roosting him silly. True story.

pinittowinit 11-09-2005 04:51 PM

my buddies 03 rev 800 x also caught on fire on a trip up north cuz he put in his truck and put the tailgate up and the track set on the tailget the whole way up when he got there he rode 20 miles and it caught on fire and he blew a piston i think it might be the 03 800x's that have the problem but deffinatly buy a rev

Henn1357 11-09-2005 05:10 PM

Not sure how having a sled tilted forward with the track on the tailgate would cause it to catch on fire, if this is true, all those mountain guys better watch out coming down the mountain!!!
I only know of 1 guy who has ever cooked a sled on the trip up North having it in the back of a truck...the guy pressure washed it before the trip and then realized that at -30 and with it in the back of a truck it would freeze up!!! he got it unthawed at a stop and decided a smart idea would be to let it idle in the back for the rest of the trip to keep it warm well, a little too warm...when they stopped, it wouldnt pull over...locked up tight

Quote:

Originally posted by pinittowinit@Nov 9 2005, 04:51 PM
my buddies 03 rev 800 x also caught on fire on a trip up north cuz he put in his truck and put the tailgate up and the track set on the tailget the whole way up when he got there he rode 20 miles and it caught on fire and he blew a piston i think it might be the 03 800x's that have the problem but deffinatly buy a rev
<div align="right">

[/quote]

x-treme3x 11-09-2005 08:38 PM

I know a guys who rev caught fire while driving it. They don't know why it happened or what would have started it. But I don't think its a serious issue you have to worry about. I havn't heard of newer ones doing it.

ont03rev 11-10-2005 11:14 AM

my '03 caught fire last winter at a gas station will I filled her up ,you should have seen the face on the attentant as he ran out screaming to move my sled away from the pumps !