02 Merc Alpha 1 Gen II Outdrive sucking Drive Lube - HCS Snowmobile Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 1999 ZR 700
Previous Sled(s): 1998 Polaris 500 Indy Trail
Favorite Riding Area: Central/Northern Vermont
10-11 Mileage: 100-200
Riding Since: 2000

have a 2002 Alpha 1 I beleive it is Gen II and upon receiveing the boat back from my family who had borrowed it and run it hard for a week I was told the Drive lube was nearly to the add line in the monitor bottle. I specifically told them that if this level dropped they need to pull the boat out and not run it. They did not heed my advice and the lube level is now at the add line. I was always told this level wasn't suspose to drop and if it did it meant water was getting into my drive somewhere. Can anyone give me some info on what is happening here where the oil is going and what can be done to remedy it. I Plan on draining the whole drive and looking for water. The oil was changed last fall and I beleive it had been run enough to burp out any air prior to this happening. Also what kind of damage does this signify and how severe could it be? What can i check in my yard with minimal mechanical work obvious problems or signs?
greenmachine700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

you may have better luck posting on www.iboats.com
Old 08-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 09 crf 800 priceless
Previous Sled(s): 04 f7 nightfire
Favorite Riding Area: west of 75, wetmore area.
11-12 Mileage: 360
10-11 Mileage: 800.00
Riding Since: 2001

keep monitering the gear lube bottle you should only have to top it off 1 time after you fill the drive (burp) but if water is entering the drive the lube should turn to a light green color, find a local dealer and have the drive resealed.
snoprobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
have a 2002 Alpha 1 I beleive it is Gen II and upon receiveing the boat back from my family who had borrowed it and run it hard for a week I was told the Drive lube was nearly to the add line in the monitor bottle. I specifically told them that if this level dropped they need to pull the boat out and not run it. They did not heed my advice and the lube level is now at the add line. I was always told this level wasn't suspose to drop and if it did it meant water was getting into my drive somewhere. Can anyone give me some info on what is happening here where the oil is going and what can be done to remedy it. I Plan on draining the whole drive and looking for water. The oil was changed last fall and I beleive it had been run enough to burp out any air prior to this happening. Also what kind of damage does this signify and how severe could it be? What can i check in my yard with minimal mechanical work obvious problems or signs?[/b]
Double seal below the waterpump probably failed, I do at least one a week. new seal comes with waterpump kit.
amped88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Definitely a seal issue. Could be like what was stated above, or could also be shaft seal-fishing line is a good culprit.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming-"Wow, what a ride!!".

Viking Boat Harbor
scubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement