Anyone know anything about a 1990 Yamaha Waverunnner 500? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007, 06:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Just picked up a good running one with a spare motor and driveline for $500. It's for up at my cabin , which is on a smaller inland lake so I really don't care how fast or anything , just reliablity.
I just really don't know anything about them. For instance do the parts interchange from year to year ? What are the trouble issues with them ? I'm supposed to run premix in it , weren't they all oil injected ?
700proxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2007, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Most of the waverunner are oil injected. but over the years may people have taken the oil injection off. so you need to find out if the oil tank is still attached to the oil pump.if that is still there. it may be agood idea to convert to premix if it not already.

Any gas oil or water in the hull is a bad thing and means you need to fix a leak some were. A little water splash in the hull is expected if you ride hard.

The 500 motors are preaty much all interchangable you may even be able to get a 701 in there. you will need a few parts for it.

I would stick with stock parts on that ski the handling is not so good and motor reliability goes down hill fast when you start to modify it.

try a search on riva forums or PWC today they will know a lot more than I do.
SNERTZERT900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Snert,
are you registered at PWCtoday.com? I tried to regitster, and my info is in the system but i never received a confirmation email and i can't post. if your a member can you get me an email addy of someone in customer support?
Thanks
Old 08-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

NO I am not. I just like to read it. I have had issues with SBT the owners of PWC today and I dont ever want to be part of there community.
Even if it is one of the best PWC forums around.

Not to say that there aren't people that know what they are talking about there. They just cant build a good motor with there minimum wage workers.

Good luck
Old 08-18-2007, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Got the ski home today and started checking things out , and found out it's not a WR500 it's a 650LX.
It's got 150psi in both cylinders and seems mechanically sound.
Just not the best looking. It did clean up pretty good , So far I just had to buy a battery and a seat cover.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

650 Even better. Spinout machine. be sure you know what to do when it sinks. and tell your friends that borrow it not to sink it. lol
Old 08-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

What do you do if it sinks ? other than drag it back to shore.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Quote:
What do you do if it sinks ? other than drag it back to shore.[/b]

I think they get water in the hull with minimal effort from doing spins and such. If you get water in the engine just pull the plugs, crank the starter till no more water comes out and you should be good. If it gets in the gas drain that too.

PWCToday has changed since the days when Rob (the old owner) ran the site. A lot of the members are now over at x-h20.com which is more of a stand up only site. Search there like you would on any forum but I am sure they can help out with any questions about that 650 as it is the same motor in the early model Super Jets.
cuzzinolaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 1998 Arctic Cat Thundercat
Previous Sled(s): 1970's consumer track/trail sleds, mostly Sno-Jet and Yamaha
Favorite Riding Area: Bushes and alders
Riding Since: 1990

The 633 is a ROCK. There are a couple Waverunner III's in my area that have been here since 1990 and run every year. Your LX is the same platform as the old original wave runner and handles like wet soap on a waxed floor. Watch out if you plan to avoid objects or steer hard because they will spin out very easily. You might be able to add some stabilizers or sponsons to the back of the boat like all modern PWC have. There are still lots of parts and stuff out for the 633 engines but not the old waverunner hull. You might have problems finding pump parts and stuff like that. I don't think they share the same units as the WR3's which they sold a ton of compared to the LX.
GYTforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement