ZR EFI Flooding out?? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Arctic Cat General Discussion This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. This is a 100% NO BASH ZONE. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited. Sharing of private messages from site staff is against site rules and will be subject to banning from site temporarily or permanently.

Sponsored by: Sled Tuner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2002, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I have a 1997 ZR 580 EFI and when it is cold or has sat for a 1/2 hour or so it starts right up, BUT if I ride it and shut it off and try to start it again, It will start for a sec and stall, And wont start again unless I hold it right to the bar and pull it over, and with a few pulls will start but cant get the RPMs up for a few sec and then it will Run fine, untill I shut it off again, Is it flooding out? and if so does anyone no why?

Rich
SabercattF7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2002, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

I remember reading in an old Snow Tech of 1997 ZR 580 Early releases had a problem flooding out because their computer chips were set way too rich and a chip off the 97 full production machine had this problem fixed.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Have you done a cold compression and warm compression test on it? Marc
team arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

It has a black magic Trail chip in it for like 3 years now, and it Just started doing it one day when I was getting gas, And I did not try the cold and warm compreshion test, But I will, I just put new pistons and Rings in it last year, and I just took a look at the pistons and Rings the other day and they look good still.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Arrow

You might want to check the water temperature sensor connection on the side of the water manifold. I had problems with mine coming off while running. (Easy to find and fix) The computer goes to a full rich mode, and while it would run performance was off. When I stopped it was next to impossible to get re-started (warm, was fine cold) . I crimped the connector to get it to stay on, but apparently it got moisture into it and corroded the connection, then the problem became intermittent. I finally modified the connector, removed the press on cap and installed a screw on cap with some dieelectric grease. Two years now and and no problems.

Kenzr (watching it rain in MN)
Old 12-18-2002, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Hey Kenzr

Thanks, as I read the first line you wrote I new thats what it was becouse I have a broken wire on that senser, But did not no if it was broke before this started to happen or not, But I guess you just answered that question,

Thanks Again for your help!!!
Old 12-19-2002, 11:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Advanced Member

Keep in mind, all efi AC sleds are designed to go into a limp (rich) mode when a sensor fails. lol
deanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

and if all else fails look at the air inlet on the airbox
acguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 04:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Just one thing I had last year...An efi sleds fuel injector was dripping...?? It got a little worse mileage and would load up a bit. You may be able to pull them out and look at them with pressure in the line , see if one drips??

ods dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

12-13 Mileage: 1000
Default 1997 zr580 efi flooding when warm

I have the same problem with the machine flooding when warm
I did notice the coolant temp sensor wire had come off so i reconnected it and crimped it on
Still having the same issues, have to hold the throttle all the way down to start when warm, starting cold is fine
My computer flashes 2 times indicating the coolant sensor problem after i reconnected it
Is there any way to clear the error code after sensor wiring was reconnected and could this be why the problem still exists
Any help would be welcomed

Thanks
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement