Hardcore Sledder banner

Arctic Cat EXT 580 clutch problems...HELP!!

14K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  stronger800 
#1 ·
I have an AC 580 EFI MC. My drive clutch (or primary?) has new weights in it 49.5 grams and has a new red spring. I just recently replaced the roller bushings on the spider, they are brand new with brand new pins for the weights.

The problem...for some reason, I have to rev the sled up to about 4500 to 5000 rpms before the sled moves and my top speed is only about 60 MPH. I'm at 7000 rpms at 30 MPH!!!!! I did the repairs over the summer so the sled sat that whole time.

Is this a secondary clutch issue? I never touched the secondary over the summer. I have done the obviouse to fix the problem...new plugs, new belt, ect.

I need help and really appreciate any advice!!!!

#2 ·
I have an AC 580 EFI MC. My drive clutch (or primary?) has new weights in it 49.5 grams and has a new red spring. I just recently replaced the roller bushings on the spider, they are brand new with brand new pins for the weights.

The problem...for some reason, I have to rev the sled up to about 4500 to 5000 rpms before the sled moves and my top speed is only about 60 MPH. I'm at 7000 rpms at 30 MPH!!!!! I did the repairs over the summer so the sled sat that whole time.

Is this a secondary clutch issue? I never touched the secondary over the summer. I have done the obviouse to fix the problem...new plugs, new belt, ect.

With that set up engagement should be around 3800,, seems like something is sticking..jack the sleds up and rev it up and watch the clutches and see how they are working,,,,R2R

#3 ·
I did jack up the sled an it seems like the clutches are working properly...one thing though, when I try to remove the belt, the secondary clutch sticks open and doesn't spring shut.

Could it be that I need to go over my secondary clutch? or could it be that my red spring is the cause? Everything worked perfectly last year till I replaced some worn parts...UGHHH.

#4 ·
I did jack up the sled an it seems like the clutches are working properly...one thing though, when I try to remove the belt, the secondary clutch sticks open and doesn't spring shut.

Could it be that I need to go over my secondary clutch? or could it be that my red spring is the cause? Everything worked perfectly last year till I replaced some worn parts...UGHHH.
yes,you should go ever it too..you might not have enough twist on it but that won't efferect your engagement so you still have a problem there.....R2R

#7 · (Edited)
Yes , it does,, the new clutches use a different diameter spring and it will bind in the older comet..Ok,,hold on, you have the new clutch on your sled? that could be part of it, you have to use the arcto springs with the new clutch,, what does you sle rev top speed now? ,, it could be cal all wrong ,, R2R

#11 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.