How to fill coolant - HCS Snowmobile Forums

XFire 128/Firecat(03-06 & 09-?) This is a brand-specific forum. Posts on this forum are assumed to be questions aimed at similar model owners, and are not looking for comments of a sarcastic or "bashing" nature. Please be aware that if you violate this policy you are in danger of losing your posting privileges on this website.The calling out or posting of another members personal information IE phone number or address is prohibited.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
KRW
Advanced Member

anything tricky filling 03 f7coolant i have 05 bottle
KRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '08 F1000 Nightfire
Previous Sled(s): F7, T-Cat, ZR700, Sno-Scoot
Favorite Riding Area: Paudash/Bancroft
Riding Since: 1990

Is the whole system empty? Just the engine empty?

I've had to do the motor twice in my F7, so I've had pretty much everything except the tunnel rails/heat-exchangers empty, and I've managed to get the system filled and burped no problem.

The biggest trick I've always used when doing ANY sled is to get the front of the machine higher up than the back (ie: leave the track on the ground, and jack the front end up on jack stands at least ~1 foot or so).

Fill the system through the reservoir/bottle, but pull the small vent hose off from the middle of the cylinder head (you can leave it connected to the reservoir at the other end). Pour the coolant in fairly slowly, so that air can easily escape as you're pouring. At some point, it will seem like the system is full (the reservoir may appear to be full) but the way to prove that all of the air is out of the system is when you start to get a steady stream of coolant come out the vent fitting in the head. What I have done to "assist" venting the air through the engine is to pressurize the reservoir, which will force air and coolant out the vent on the head. One way of doing this is to put the cap on the reservoir, and blow air through the vent tube still attached to it (you can use compressed air, or you can actually just blow into it yourself ... I'm not even joking!).

Again, once you get a steady stream of water coming out the vent off the head, you know that the jugs are full, and no more air is inside the motor or rest of the system. Connect the vent line back to the head at this point.

I can't remember the EXACT quantities, but I think the WHOLE system takes approx. ~1.5 - 2 gallons, whereas just the engine is approx. ~1 gallon. If you've only put in a quart or ~1/2 gallon and it seems like you're already getting coolant coming out, I'd be suspicious, and keep adding some until you're confident there is no more air coming out of the cylinder head.

Again, I've done this more than once, and never had a problem with over-heating after the fact, and I've never had to replenish the reservoir after filling it up the first time.
Cap'n Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): 2012 F1100T Retro & 2003 F7
Riding Since: 1984

I've done this twice in the last couple of weeks. Like Pete, raise the front end as high as possible. I don't disconnect any of the hoses, I just leave the pressure cap off the resi. Fill up the bottle, rock it from side to side a little. Then I start the sled, wait for the thermostat to open (you'll know as the coolant coming from the head will start to flow through the resi bottle). Then add coolant as needed. Once you think you have your coolant good I shut the sled off (check your rear heat exchangers and along the running board - they should be warm at this point).

I typically squeze the large hose that runs along side the MAG cylinder to see if you see bubbles show up in the resi - if so you still might have an air pocket trapped somewhere.

Then, start the sled again. You should't really see any antifreeze spirting out of the resi bottle at this point, run it up to temp again and you should be able to touch the heads a bit since coolant will keep them a bit cooler (vs. no coolant running through them). At this point I put the pressure cap on the resi bottle and make sure the system pressurizes (hose by the MAG cylinder should be a lot more firm when system is holding pressure). If pressure seems good shut the sled down and put it back on a level surface. Let it cool down and remove the pressure cap, should here the pressure release. Let is sit for awhile and see if your coolant level changes, if no change it should be free of air at this point IMO.

1999 XC 700 SP
1994 XLT SP
1990 Polaris 500
1990 Polaris 340 Sport
1984 Polaris 480 Trail
A Phazer
1969 Massey Ferg Ski Whiz
trdehmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Yes do what everybody else told you but make sure you check it again after you take it for a ride and let it cool right down before you look an hour or so. Air pockets seem to find there way out after a ride I would even check it twice, ride cool check, ride cool check. Then you'll be good to go.
lincoln9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Advanced Member

Current Sled(s): '08 F1000 Nightfire
Previous Sled(s): F7, T-Cat, ZR700, Sno-Scoot
Favorite Riding Area: Paudash/Bancroft
Riding Since: 1990

Absolutely! Gotta check the level after the fact to make sure everything's good, but like I said, after venting the system, I've never had to top up at all.
Cap'n Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement